Wicker Man

EC!

Well it's March and The Smiler is opening in May and The smiler discussion forum started the year Th13teen opened so why not start talking about SW8. I understand its March and The Smiler one was started in August but no matter, the TT discussion started last year in may so I think it's a crackin' time to start discussing as it were. Write what you think will be the next big Alton Towers ride is gonna be in your opinion, as well as what area of the park (excluding X-sector cos that would be stupid) and what theme you'd like to see. Let your imagination go wild! Lets discuss! :)

Got to be a Woodie hasn't it?!

Not necessarily, although I have run out of ideas that alton can have(coaster wise) as they seem to have used almost every option possible. I feel that merlin are now approaching the stages where they have run out of ideas on what to do. This is not the case in the world of flat rides but rollercoasters are becoming the issue, even though this is not really a problem at chessie and thorpe, I have a feeling a problem is arising at alton towers.

They already have:

A launched coaster(rules out any type of launching coaster)

A flyer(rules out another flyer)

An inverted coaster(rules out another inverted/suspended coaster)

A family coaster with a twist(rules out anything like thirteen)

A dive coaster(rules out any dive coasters etc.)

A spinning coaster(rules out spinning coaster)

A mine train(rules out the same type of ride)

And a eurofighter-SW7(rules out eurofighter type rides)

Even though there are a lot more possibilities out there in the world for coasters, I feel that alton have taken the more central ones which means that there are not a lot of possibilities left. Of course they can do well for a long time but alton are soon going to be struggling to choose what coaster they want.

So I think a woodie is one of the only possible options, I think in future years they should expand the park(if possible) and make a new land with a woodie in it. It could be either added to that new land or they could put it in mutiny bay behind the sea life centre.

Hopefully we'll see that Cross Valley B&M hyper.

A B&M hyper would be cool actually.

Just thinking about this SW8 will be at the same time as thorpe and chessies major investments. This means the parks will be competing against each other for the best coaster. My guess is all three parks will produce something amazing in 2016...

There's the rumours of the B&M prototype that was meant to be SW7, but got pushed back to SW8 as well...

I also think Alton have now said the SW tag isn't exclusive to coasters now, and rumours of a major dark ride in 2016 are floating about if I remember correctly.

I feel that merlin are now approaching the stages where they have run out of ideas on what to do. This is not the case in the world of flat rides but rollercoasters are becoming the issue, even though this is not really a problem at chessie and thorpe, I have a feeling a problem is arising at alton towers.

In a way Merlin have run out of ideas, because they have most types of coaster already at the park. And in a way they haven't, because they're always on the lookout for the next big thing, and with new rollercoaster ideas always emerging, like any industry, keeping up with the latest craze can be a struggle at times.

We must remember that Th13teen and The Smiler are custom coasters - one could say Th13teen's development was an experiment for Intamin. It's not often Merlin buy a coaster off the shelf without some form of customising it.

Woodies are a fantasy when it comes to Merlin's parks - something that we've been wishing for and haven't seen, so it's likely not to happen soon.

Battlestar Galactica at Universal Studios in Singapore is one coaster I'd like to see. If you haven't seen it, here's a teaser.

What I want? Wood, and lots of it. A new incarnation of the old cross valley plans, if at all possible, would be ideal giving them a nice marketable biggest drop in the world. I don't know what I think of these hybrids yet, not actually a wooden coaster at all in my eyes. If they turn out well then they could be worth a shot but I'd say they are more suited to Thorpe.

What do I think we'll get? Revisiting the not ready B+M prototype is the obvious thought, which was probably a 4d development of the wingrider and probably for air carpark. I would be quite excited by this to say the least. If that is what it is would B+M be willing to hold onto the design for Alton for all those years though, considering they must have been close to realisation this time round? A huge indoor attraction along the lines of TAAO Spiderman would also be most welcome, but is probably too expensive still. That technology should come into reach at some point though.

We must remember that Th13teen and The Smiler are custom coasters - one could say Th13teen's development was an experiment for Intamin. It's not often Merlin buy a coaster off the shelf without some form of customising it.

Battlestar Galactica at Universal Studios in Singapore is one coaster I'd like to see. If you haven't seen it, here's a teaser.

Erm, one could actually say that all of Towers' coasters are custom, indeed, with 3 World's First coasters, hard NOT to say that...

Battlestar Galactica spent most of it's early life shut... No thanks, many better options available...

Really, an Intamin Blitz, Mack Mega Coaster, B&M Hyper or GCI Wooden coaster are all valid options Towers could look at... As well as perhaps a new water coaster to replace the Flume...

What do I think we'll get? Revisiting the not ready B+M prototype is the obvious thought, which was probably a 4d development of the wingrider and probably for air carpark. I would be quite excited by this to say the least. If that is what it is would B+M be willing to hold onto the design for Alton for all those years though, considering they must have been close to realisation this time round?

I agree with the points you make in that post, I think it'll be a 4D for Alton. The way I see it is that they might be more than happy to hold the idea as their current wing riders are quite new and look to be selling well.

• 1 month later...

S'all about the ride experience though, and since they're not particularly the smoothest things around it will skew the perception of all wooden coasters (and Big Dipper's incident won't help opinions)...

Even if modern GCI's and the like are smooth as can possibly be, until a park here takes a perceived 'risk' on one, the perceptions will not change, and parks would be daft to not take into account the opinions of their guests...

• 4 weeks later...

Two of the most anticipated coasters currently being built are the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and the Gringotts ride - both of which are going to be based around the combination of dark ride and roller coasters. I think this is going to be a very popular idea. I realise coasters have had dark ride elements previously, but these two projects seem to be taking the idea to a new level, and their status will certainly push the concept into the public's attention.

If an out and back Woodie isn't possible, or possible to do on a scale which would make it a unique experience, I think AT should be looking into the idea of a dark ride/coaster - hopefully without an IP.

Otherwise it's got to be a 4D no?

• 3 weeks later...

If you think about it though we have had the dragon built at legoland that is a dark ride/ coaster and is very popular but how many years has it been since the same concept has been built on uk shores?

I would love it to happen but am doubtful for sw8

• 3 weeks later...