Wicker Man

EC!

For the record, Air was advertised as the world's first next generation flying coaster. This is indeed a true statement as well.

The first flying coaster was Skytrak: http://rcdb.com/2380.htm, opening in 1997 and closing in 1998. There was also another random flying coaster in the UAE and a Vekoma Flying Dutchman that opened before Air, but Air is still easily considered to be the first next generation flying coaster.

Wasn't there also a short lived flying coaster thing that was at the now closed Granada Studios in the UK? Strongly recall RCDB having one listed a while back.

If you read and clicked the link on josh's post youd be able to see that he did link that coaster ;)

It didn't look like much of a coaster...

Currently, I'm so much more hyped for this than DBGT. It's probably just due to the fact that I'm a coaster man.

I don't think the problem with wood coasters is that the GP think they're unsafe, it's more that people think they are boring. I know many friends who think that there is no need to create coasters out of wood when steel is clearly a more versatile material. This common interpretation that wood coasters can't be thrilling, needs to be changed, and I believe Towers is the park that can do it.

RMC for SW8!

Many people, when they think of wooden coasters, will think of Blackpool's selection - all of which are 'old'. Alternatively, they'll think of other old wooden coasters, like Cyclone, which are well documented about. I'm the grand scheme of things, few people in the UK audience have ridden recently built wooden coasters. Hence why there is this preconception they are old fashioned and, potentially, dangerous to a degree. All it takes is for them to experience a new one to realise it is not the case. But to build one is a huge risk, because of people's misconceptions.

Hence why an RMC would be a good choice. Whether that's what we get is a different matter though.

It didn't look like much of a coaster...

Currently, I'm so much more hyped for this than DBGT. It's probably just due to the fact that I'm a coaster man.

I don't think the problem with wood coasters is that the GP think they're unsafe, it's more that people think they are boring. I know many friends who think that there is no need to create coasters out of wood when steel is clearly a more versatile material. This common interpretation that wood coasters can't be thrilling, needs to be changed, and I believe Towers is the park that can do it.

RMC for SW8!

Ā 

This viewpoint only seems to exist in the UK. I think when people think woodie, they think Blackpool.

Speaking as someone who's never been on a wooden coaster

What's the plus points of building it with wood over having a steel coaster with the same if not better layout?

I, too, have never been on a woodie (I'd love to. I've got plans to visit Margate, Lightwater Valley, Oakwood and numerous international theme parks known for their woodies). Saying that, I do understand your point and that question has been asked numerous times by friends. I, however don't really have a good answer to the question...

This 'Blackpool' interpretation needs to be challenged and I believe that will only happen when a big park (Towers) gets a smooth woodie from a comany such as Intamin, GCI or RMC. All these companies are capable of producing rides with fun layouts that can make people trust wood again.

Wooden coasters provide a completely different feel and experience to steel coasters as a start... Unless you're an Intamin prefab, then they are never glass smooth, but the rattle produced in conjunction with everything else creates a real feeling of out of controlness to the proceedings...

Ā 

Unfortunately, most UK people have only ever experienced Blackpool, Gwazi or Stampida... None of these are particularly the sorta rides you want as ambassadors to the type (especially since Gwazi got torn down)...

Ā 

This as a result means that no UK park thinks it worthwhile due to the preconceptions... Oakwood built one, 20 years ago now, but they're only ever in the general public consciousness due to a girl dying on Hydro...

Ā 

Also there's more that wooden coasters can do now,stall turns, overbanks and inversions can be part of the package... And it provides a different aesthetic to steel coasters completely...

Ā 

I'd love Towers to just let GCI loose on that area... Especially if they intertwined a Chiapas flume in there...

But they are old, rickety and products of a byegone era...

Can't deny that at all, especially given Nash in recent times being bloody dreadful... But they're deemed old-fashioned for a reason by the public...

That's what makes them so good!

Nash is still brilliant although it could do with its old trains (and dispatch times!) back.

The public don't have any issue with the wooden coasters, the queues often out-do the steel coasters.

Is that because of nostalgia though? Like, this isn't bashing Blackpool, it's just facts that they are old fashioned and seen as rickety/unsafe/etc.

Ā 

Some realise this, but since enthusiasts are asking the question on here about what makes them so good, shows what work needs to be done in the UK in order to get them into the public eye as a viable modern addition...

Is that because of nostalgia though? Like, this isn't bashing Blackpool, it's just facts that they are old fashioned and seen as rickety/unsafe/etc.

Some realise this, but since enthusiasts are asking the question on here about what makes them so good, shows what work needs to be done in the UK in order to get them into the public eye as a viable modern addition...

No, I enjoy them for the raucous & bumpy nature as well as the nostalgia aspect, they are still some of the best coasters the UK has to offer IMO.

Regarding the "rickety" perception, they aren't glass smooth, but then in my view wooden coasters aren't supposed to be, I've only been on one 'modern' woodie (Megafobia) but it's still raucous and bumpy in its nature.

Germany has Wodan & Colosssus

Sweden has Balder & that Gravity group coaster at Grona

Holland has Joris, Troy and Robinhood

Belgium has Loup Grou & Heide (very soon)

France has Tonnere De Zeus

Ireland has Cu Cumain (sp)

Only Spain & Italy don't really have a role model woodie (at least until Stampida is done and Kumback is kicked out).

The U.K. Only really has Blackpool, a couple of smaller woodies and Oakwood (which is not well known for non enthusiasts outside Wales).

The U.K. Does need a modern Woodie as it's one of the few coaster ride types we now lack and I think such a coaster would suit Towers's rural landscape perfectly. Joris may be the only new woodie I've done (bar Megafobia), but it's a fantastic one at that and certainly better than Blackpool's (bar the nostalgia).

Joris looks great and is exactly what I think would complement Tower's beautiful landscape. GCI combines traditional airtime focused rides with those more focusing on speed and twisty elements. It's a perfect combination that I'm sure would be a popular investment if Towers ever got a GCI.

Coaster Jamie, when I say the public think of Woodies, Blackpool springs to mind, in no way I am saying that as a bad thing. What I am saying is that there last woodie was built in the 50's, they are old rides and that is what has stuck in the GP's mind because Megafobia aside, they are the only parks to feature wooden coasters in their line up.