Wicker Man

EC!

On 6/2/2016 at 2:43 PM, holtjammy16 said:

the cross-valley idea.. Who's to say that can't happen one day? Starting with a smaller woodie is probably a better idea then going all out with the cross valley to begin with

One day...

Likelihood of two wooden coasters at Towers - tiny anyway, but if they consider it...

Next new big development - around 2021 and thought to be a dark ride. Certainly won't be similar to the last big investment.

One after that - 2025ish? Still unlikely to be the same as their most recent coaster.

Next, if Towers are even still trading with all this mediocrity - 2029ish? Some of us will be dead by then anyway!

The manufacturers know how to build a big woodie, it's not like Towers are actual blazing a trail with this, it's standard stuff for the industry. They are plonking it on a site they can do anything with, within planning obviously. There's no need to 'go small' first, it achieves nothing but disappointment. There probably will be something else in this plan, SW style, which we don't know about yet, but why can't whatever that is be tacked on to a decent coaster? Imagine if Th13teen had an actually decent coaster section before the drop and reverse section, it would be fantastic. As it is, it's fun but ultimately crap; remove the trick and the coaster is dreadful. It doesn't have to be that way but it really seems that's the path we're going down again. Why?

If people think this actually looks up to much in terms of wooden coasters I think that shows a startling lack of imagination and just how low expectations here are now, we are at a point enthusiasts seem grateful for getting anything.

The theming really worries me. Alton seem to have the belief that theming doesn't need to gell with other theming - air & Forbidden Valley for example. Rita and Uggland, This ride is slap bang between 2 areas that are actually themed pretty well. So will it meld those areas or will it just be a jarring mess between them? From the application it looks like some kind of woodland theme, which isn't at all pirate -y and not very African. In fact it feels more like a merry England theme.

3 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

The entrance is in Mutiny Bay, and that's how I class the location of rides.

Whilst I agree that this will probably themed to Mutiny Bay, we don't know that for a fact. Even though the entrance is in Mutiny Bay, it could still be Katanga Canyon themed, or it could be part of a whole new land with absolutely no relevence to pirates.

Could we get a possible retheme of Mutiny Bay to fit with the theme of this ride? Looking at the ride itself and the proposed buildings around the ride, it doesn't look very pirate-y.

It could be part of a whole different area but the entrance is right in Mutiny Bay. The ride is most likely themed around pirate, but there could be some sort of new land in the making..

It could be possible that even tho the ride would be pirate themed, the actual buildings could be themed to Katanga Canyon, so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

The amazing 'Nemesis94DJW' (famous for his The Smiler no limits recreation which was very accurate to the physical ride) has recreated the SW8 plans.

Credits to Nemesis94 & DJW

• 1 month later...

Amazing quality recreation, but as for the ride it looks like a big fat yawnfest.

I'd hope it's slung over the crest at some speed by something resembling a launch, and then carries that speed throughout, to be even slightly interesting.

But then the faster it gets the shorter it is, and it's already damn short, so I can't see how this'll be any good whatever they do with it.

don't forget the rumored inversion... and the fact it goes indoors surely some sort of dark ride section...... OR EVEN THE WASHING MACHINE ELEMENT - there I've called it before Towers Times does - 26/07/2016

So yeah, while it's not a massive thrilling coaster a lot of us wanted, I'm happy to look forward to it if it does have a dark ride bit, launch and inversion, it'll be a really fun thrilling family ride, and I do love 13 and spinball, so this has the potential to be even better!

Yeah, but a fun family coaster. A pocket rocket I say.

Whilst this doesn't look particularly exciting ATM, I do think it has potential. For example, the turn after the launch is very tight, meaning that if they want to maintain speed from the launch, they would have to bank it heavily. So potentially that turn could be banked at 90 degrees and you could enter ther tunnel on the wall, which would be very fun.

There's also the possibility of an inversion and a fun dark ride section (as @DeanGaryCox said). Also, Remember this is an SW, this is part of a series of groundbreaking worlds first rides so I'd have thought that this coaster will have something to make it stand out.

I'm actually rather excited for this!

Witching it a few times over, it isn't as short as I first thought at that speed, but it doesn't seem to do that much which gives it that slightly nothingy feeling. One reason for this I think is it doesn't seem to 're-crest' at all after the long drawn out first drop, it's all pretty flat after that with no big drop at all across the whole ride. It also doesn't interact much with its own structure, 3 very quick cross-unders? One of my favourite parts of woodies is when you are thundering through its own structure.

Change the playback speed to 1.25 (I'd imagine 1.15 - 1.2 would be more realistic, but that's not an option) and suddenly it actually looks like fun. But then time wise it really is getting rather short.

My main concern is the lack of airtime - I'd prefer hills to turns.

It's definitely possible to provide airtime on small woodies, like White Lightning which looks fab.

There's also this GCI which is coming to Williamsburg - it lacks in speed and turns but it has lots of hills for its height.

Part of me feels like I'd rather SW8 was this coaster (Invadr), although neither look phenomenal.