Wicker Man

EC!

A generic Alton Towers hotel advert is now referring to SW8 as a "world first roller coaster opening in Spring".

This is the first time that SW8 has been marketed as a world first (and I think the first time it's actually been marketed as a coaster), with most key advertising calling it a "world class experience".

11 hours ago, BaronC. said:

A generic Alton Towers hotel advert is now referring to SW8 as a "world first roller coaster opening in Spring".

This is the first time that SW8 has been marketed as a world first (and I think the first time it's actually been marketed as a coaster), with most key advertising calling it a "world class experience".

World's first coaster to have it's name leaked by a demolition company within weeks of demolition starting?

19 hours ago, BaronC. said:

Great

*Drives straight past to ride Icon.

My thoughts are it's gonna be the world's first face-off woodie - the seats are back to back meaning each row alternates in sitting forwards and backwards, so everyone will be facing eachother (apart from the very front row and very back row). So a train of these:

image.jpeg.79471d8fed7cba9f8986e2a7f60cfd8c.jpeg

This makes the large two-faced theming object make sense - so as the train flies through, the people going forwards will see the human face and the people going backwards will see the ram's face.

1 hour ago, MattyMoo said:

Reminds me of the Colony at Tulleys Farm :ph34r:

Makes me think that someone at Towers' marketing loves Bray Wyatt...

Face/Off wooden coaster? Nah, that would be a stupid idea; and I can't imagine a backwards wooden coaster being particularly fun...

20 minutes ago, Benin said:

Face/Off wooden coaster? Nah, that would be a stupid idea; and I can't imagine a backwards wooden coaster being particularly fun...

But 'world's first totally dedicated backwards wooden roller coaster' has such a nice ring to it... [/sarcasm]

I imagine it'll be some tacked on world first to do with the theme, theming structure or something similar.  First Wicker Man ride or something (they did it with Gruffalo, so I wouldn't put it past them).  

15 hours ago, TPGG said:

This makes the large two-faced theming object make sense - so as the train flies through, the people going forwards will see the human face and the people going backwards will see the ram's face.

I think the train goes through the structure more than once from different directions already so that can explain the 2 sides

Don't you dare Merlin! Don't call this ride a world first. They have to focus on the overall experience over another cheap gimmick. They are just going to keep making the same mistake with every new ride! :( Call it a world class ride all you want.

To be honest, Icon still excites me more this year being a completely new, modern ride in the UK and the fact it's a Mack. As much as I love B&M rides, I wish Merlin would build a steel Mack. Not been a huge fan of Gerst really.

Well, this name was completely unexpected. :rolleyes:

Apparently bringing wood and fire together for the first time on a coaster. Or something.

Given the track record for special effects like fire in other Merlin parks, making a world first claim which is solely dependant on special effects where everyone expects it to work when visiting is a bit risky isn't it? It should've been "World's first rollercoaster experience fusing wood and fire... when it works."

(Good promo art though!)

KYLE LAMBERT - WICKER MAN (SQUARE)_1.jpg

WICKER_MAN_KEY_VISUAL_(NEW_FOR_2018)_(LANDSCAPE_A3).jpg

3E4EF28EB1FC4A588603E96F0750695F.gif

The promo art is gorgeous :wub:

The world's first is:

The world's first rollercoaster experience fusing wood and fire

I mean, it's not really, but okay.  They're also using the 'first UK woodie in 21 years' angle which is nice.

In honesty, this is exactly what I expected.  It looks fun, the coaster won't be anything special, but I'm sure it'll do the job and fill the gap.  I'm a little concerned that they seem to be focusing on the older end of the target market - let's hope it works out for them!

Details here - https://www.wickerman.com/story-so-far/wicker-man-announced-as-latest-ground-breaking-rollercoaster-experience

The artwork has been created by world-famous illustrator Kyle Lambert, which looks great. Does look more like a film poster. I’m still reserving judgement until I see how the ride is going to work going through a “flaming” structure and how immersive it will be. I couldn’t care less about it having such a terrible world first title though.

Has the opening date been confirmed anywhere yet? Want to start planning a trip :D

Also - just looking at the news articles - Sky mention the Smiler accident, obvs.

One of the articles said that the logo was projected onto the London Eye. No it wasn't, it was photoshopped on. You can't project onto what is essentially a hollow circle, unless they temporarily covered the Eye with sheeting :lol:

CCLondonEye1.jpg