Wicker Man

EC!

I rode Wickerman for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I think it is a great ride at the park and in the UK altogether. I thought wickerman had an amazing ride experience on thw back and the ambience around the whole area amazed me and some of the themeing elements were just amazing, it is a high class woody in the UK imo its my favourite woody in the UK and my 2nd fav coaster in the UK. Although I dont normally rate GCI's but I love the wickerman and the pre show and the effects are just sick and Alton defiantly need to maintain this as knowing merlin the effects will stop working in a couple years time and if they do maintain the ride, hands down to towers!.

Having been at Alton two weeks ago, I'm kind of starting to see your point @BaronC.Ā Not from the kid's point of view, as they don't really know what it's about, but from the parent's point of view.

Ā 

Quite a few times I saw kids asking to go on Wicker Man, and their parents have taken one look at the statue itself, and said no, to the kid's confusion. Even my dad, who still let my sister on the ride, intentionally gave her the wrong definition for words like ritual when the technical difficulty announcement played. She didn't get any of the theme at all, being 9.

Ā 

Got to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of some of it myself. Only because I'm worried I'll look like a bit of a weirdo with ram skull related stuff all over my roomĀ :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So after riding it, I found it an enjoyable ride. Not the best Woody I have ever been on in terms of the rollercoaster itself,Ā but the overall experience of everything coming together was very well executed

Ā 

However one thing that has kept me a little bit puzzled...Previous Secret Weapon Rides have all had a world first or something new that's not been done in the industry before within the area at least. But for Wickerman...what was the secret weapon element?

11 minutes ago, P J said:

So after riding it, I found it an enjoyable ride. Not the best Woody I have ever been on in terms of the rollercoaster itself,Ā but the overall experience of everything coming together was very well executed

Ā 

However one thing that has kept me a little bit puzzled...Previous Secret Weapon Rides have all had a world first or something new that's not been done in the industry before within the area at least. But for Wickerman...what was the secret weapon element?

worlds first coaster to incorporate wood and fire?

1 minute ago, P J said:

Wood and fire though, is it really that groundbreaking? Like the pyros are likely encased on steel which has cleverley been designed to have a wooden structure just far enough away from it.

Ā 

Surely it must be something else?

No, just the fire and wood...

I'm not saying it needs to be a world first but generally I've got accustomed to a secret weapon being something that brings something new.

Ā 

Its a decent attraction but if it's a 'normal' addition in that sense then I personally found it a little bit misleading with the tag etc...but that's just me

28 minutes ago, P J said:

I'm not saying it needs to be a world first but generally I've got accustomed to a secret weapon being something that brings something new.

Ā 

Its a decent attraction but if it's a 'normal' addition in that sense then I personally found it a little bit misleading with the tag etc...but that's just me

Wicker Man was the first time they actually used the idea of a ā€œSecret Weponā€ in the advertising though? It only started out as a code name for projects internally. Itā€™s a bit of a shame really that itā€™s becomeĀ some sort ā€˜seriesā€™ in the park.Ā 

Ā 

The rides are justĀ meant to be fun; andĀ ironically, wicker man being the first big addition to the park since Rita without some sort of gimmick,Ā is actually the most fun of all since then!Ā 

Ā 

Just enjoy the ride :)Ā no need for it to have any silly advertising featureĀ 

The ride I did enjoy as mentioned earlier, it just left me confused with what the secret bit was that's all.

Ā 

Interesting, you mention it was the first one advertised as a weapon, must of been how I found out about it being coded as that. Probably what happened was is that I heard it in passing and then linking it up with the knowledge I learnt when I was younger when I delved into all these things. Knowing that these things were internal codes and then not looking into it further just made me assume there was a bit more.

Ā 

However on a general note, I'm not one for gimmicks if it focuses too much on that and they then forget the fun throughout the rest of the ride. Ultimately wickerman is fun, exactly what is needed and for me I have it in the leagues at the park as 13, something that is just ultimately fun!

• 4 weeks later...

That, on the whole, is a thoroughly depressing read. Bet John felt sick to his stomach when her received that first call, such disrespect from a company he gave so much to.

Ā 

How on earth can the hierarchy of Merlin be in such a mess that the people a the top think the most prominent and prolific ride designer they have, that they are clearly well aware has for a number of years been actively designing the exact thing they now want, is involved in a project which has progressed all the way to the contracts being signed, when he knows nothing about it. Shambles.Ā 

Ā 

People seem generally happy with Wickerman, mostly because the theme is well delivered while the ride just scrapes 'good enough'. I wonder how amazing the wholeĀ could have been if the actual ride was decent in the first place?

15 hours ago, pluk said:

Ā 

People seem generally happy with Wickerman, mostly because the theme is well delivered while the ride just scrapes 'good enough'. I wonder how amazing the wholeĀ could have been if the actual ride was decent in the first place?

I love the ride itself, probably only behind Smiler and Nemesis for me and thats without taking into account any of the theming. My friend who doesnt really care about the theming who came with us also loved it, he put it above Stampida. Maybe it comes down to the fact you have been on so much more rides than me.

• 7 months later...
16 minutes ago, profburp said:

Anyone heard anything about what is up with Wicker Man, being down the last few days. Iā€™m visiting Tues-Thurs this week and would be gutted if itā€™s closed all 3 days.

Awaiting a replacement part, rumour is down for two weeks unfortunatelyĀ 

37 minutes ago, Ringo said:

Awaiting a replacement part, rumour is down for two weeks unfortunatelyĀ 

Oh what a shame! Not like Alton have been the most forthcoming in their replies on twitter as usual. Be nice if they told people the situation, but hey thanks for the update.