Why Are You Here?

Mark9

I'm on a nostalgia trip. If you know me its no secret you probably know I'm training on Runaway Train, which incidentally was my first ever rollercoaster back in 1992. Nowadays theme park is dominated by Stealth and ride reliability. Its hard to believe I've been well into coasters for nearly 10 years. So my question to you was when did you really get into rides and attractions and was there a ride that helped push you into it?My story isn't exactly complicated but looking back it was a very humble start. It was June 1998. Having not ridden anything huge for several years, as a small 10 year old I was extremely excited to go back to the "best day out in the South". Upon arrival in what is the South car park I looked to my left and saw the beigey brown track of Vampire, Smugglers Galleon swinging over the trees and felt my excitement grew. On that day we The Old Crocks Ralley (what is now Toadies Crazy Cars), Carousel, Safari Skyway, Toytown Truckers, Dragons River, Terrortomb, Flying Jumbos and Seastorm. It wasn't until lunchtime, eating at McDonalds and watching the old Vampire falling from lift two and swinging majestically over the treetops on its Fangtastic adventure that I felt myself becoming who I am today. Ironically my favourite ride of the day was Seastorm and it was to be well over a year until I rode Rattlesnake, Vampire, Rodeo, Runaway Train and all the overs but Chessington has always and will probably always be my favourite theme park as it introduced me to so much. Despite the park falling from grace I still believe it to be an enchanting place with an excellent variety of rides for all the family.So what was it that got you into theme parks. I hope my story hasn't bored you to much lol.

I went to Thorpe park with my school in year 8, I started searching for more information about. Found southparks.org and just floated around there not really doing much, harrassed James on southparks. Found TPM and started to really like Thorpe park etc It's no fairytale but atleast it's realistic.

I really enjoyed reading that story Mark, and you've made me realize that Chessington is what made me into the person I am today really.With me it was the fact that I've been going to theme parks since I was a foetus. The theme park has always been a part of my life, and it's just been a thing I've grown up with.I was a very young age when I first got into coasters and things; being very tall for my age. For instance, Vampire when I was 4/ 5, and Nemesis when I was 7.Another side you could look at is this: I had a bizzare childhood, yet despite all that we still went out as a fmily to a theme park, usually Chessington, and I guess it represented escapism to me. I guess that's when I realized that it wasn't just the rides I enjoyed, it was the emotions that I felt about being in this enchanting place.And I'm going to make it public, I'm a Chessington fanboy. I actually am starting to dislike Thorpe alot. I mean, let's take a look at the Fish: a sterile, cold pile of crap, and compare it with he Mine train: a themed experience, not only the ride, but also the queueline.Just saying all this makes me want to be at Chessington more. If I wanted to see painted wood and some music, I'd have gone to B&Q with my I-pod.

Having gone part Thorpe quite reguarly to go to my grandad's, near Sunbury, I never thought about Thorpe Park TBH. I remember seeing Colossus, but nothing else. After siiting my SAT's, we went on a school trip to Thorpe. The build up was immense, 'New for 2006: Stealth' I really couldn't wait to go on it. We all talked about I on teh way there, on the coach, but when we saw it [me included] the bottom literally fell out of me. I was pursueded to go on it, so, with the 10 minute wait, I wasn't really complaining. We got on. I saw the top. I was absolutley bricking it. I'm not sure whether it was all a blur or a blackout; all I can remember is the luanch being so goddamn fast, and the thrill it gave me. I came off, and danced around in happiness. The best thing, is that was my first ever rollorcoaster ever to go on. I also braved Colossus, but when I saw Rush, I thought it looked old, thus being dangerous. How wrong could I have been? To this day, I have been on every ride, possible of a 14 year old. I still love Thorpe today. I have been a total of:13x Thorpe.1x Chessington.Stealth x32Inferno x31Rumba x35My ride count puts me to shame. -Sebastian '10th Thorpe visit next Monday' Outfin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

14th? My story is same as joes. Simple.

My story is more...Went to Chessington at least once a year when I were younger with family because I live close.Then I meet Dann and I go with Dann. Dann goes alot therefore I do too and found a new intrest in themeparks...Not as intresting as most :o

I think my first theme park was chessington when I was a wee nipper and all I can remember only a few memories such as looking down Transalvania and watching the show whilst the rest of my family (except my nan) went on Rattle Snake. The trip after I think was thorpe park, hated the day as I could ride f**k all because of my height. Then there was a family holiday to the Orlando parks, again short to do the big rides but still enjoyed myself. Then since I started to go to scouts. Every year we went to Thorpe Park in April and Alton Towers for the Fireworks. I started becoming an enthusiast after joining Towers Times and after a little while here. Since then we have been to all the tussaud's park and Port Aventura and Gardaland and I hope to experience many more parks.

Erm when I was around 8ish we use to go on family vists to chessington and thorpe park around 2-3 times a year, started to love theme parks and then my dad said should we all get a annual pass when I was around 12 and we started to go alot was an annual pass holder till I was like 13 then didnt really go for some reason.... then just visted a few times in the year and now at the age of 15 I relised that I knew friends that all goes theme parks, which I never knew they did and that made me get a annual pass again and I am now at theme parks near enough one a weekend or more.

I've been a coaster enthusiast for Yonks, First started off by visiting Alton Towers in 2000 or 1999, And being persuaded to go on Nemesis, after that and 9 times later, I was hooked to coasters.. But I've always been keen with Thorpe Park and Chessington, as I'd been visiting these parks since I was very young. Eventually in 2001 I got my first annual pass.. With the new construction of Colossus at thorpe, I'd been interested in finding more about themeparks. I first joined Thorpe Park Guide way back in the day, Got kicked off that site for god knows what reason. Then found Coasterforce and I've been with them for a few years now. Last year I started talking to one of the Stealth ride attendants (Tom), He then introduced me to Marc, We started talking.. and he eventually showed me this site, So.. I thought I'd might aswell join up.. So yeah, Story off my life. Oh, and I'm also a Thorpe Ride Attendant now..

I've been 'into' Thorpe Park since I was a lil' knipper - I remember going to Thorpe Park and having an amazing experience and I just got really into it. In the last four years I have become a major enthusiast - its probably took that long to finally become a budding fanboy because theme parks isnt really a promoted intrest back then; if your not into music, sport, films or art then there isnt alot of encouragement out there. Especially in my family.To begin withm it was all about learning the behind the scenes. Now I am not so intrested in the little things - of course I am intrested in major changes and new attractions and that lot, but I know quite abit and the magic has gone so I have stopped.Now I am more into the pschycological and design side of the rides - with particular emphasis on themeing, story, ride intergration, music, lighting and special effects. This is what I am focusing my alevel studies on and my future career hopefully. The emotional effect all this has on a person is humoungous, whether people are aware of it or not. This is why Phantasialand, Efteling and Univeral have become more of an intrest for me recently. ride types also play a huge part in this so I am a keen intrest for that - and theme park events like fright nights again have a hige emotional effect on people. This can sound abit sick but I love have some kind of emotional domination over people, not personally but I would love to develop a ride that does, like Mystery Castle. I'm sure some of you know what I mean.But yeh theme parks and coaster around the world. and thats why I am here and on SP - and by doing so I have made some of the closest friends I have so its all GOOD! :P So yeah, all things theme park is me. Thorpe Park has seroiusly disappointed me recently. I don't have as much intrest in going there anymore - just improving it. Like sheepie said, flying fish is a prime example. Track, behind gates on a slab of concrete. The managed to stretch the budget to get some grass. Its an insult to every young child out there with an imagination, its an insult to the old fish, its an insult to put the origional themeing plan on their website and make it compeletly differnt and its an insults to class tussauds second to Disney when they produce crap like that. Look at Talocan at phantasialand you can see what can be done with some passion and effort. Dont get me wrong I do love Thorpe Park but in a very unconventional and unusual way.I do look forward to Fright Nights I must say.My life is great, but I am a very deep person and day dream alot and I love to be thrown out of the norm and escape into a whole new world. This is what Tidal Wave did for me as a child (hence my thorpe obsession) and it sticks. Your childhood is an important part of your life and going to a place like phantasialand create good, family memories which will last you a life time.

Edited by Cringle

• 2 months later...

I went to Thorpe for the first time at the beginning of June, for one of my mates birthdays.I then went again 19days later with Sebastian on these forums, who I know from school. He told me I should join this forum and it owned SouthParks ;)I'm hoping to go to Thorpe again soon, whenever I get the money... and buy an annual pass ;)

• 1 month later...

It's been interesting reading these posts. :huh: Ah, my turn. I lived 5 minutes away from Thorpe Park (and 15 away from Chessington) for the first 13 years of my life so I spent a lot of my childhood at the two parks (along with Windsor Safari Park which doesn't even exist anymore). I only really realised how important theme parks were to me when Ranger County opened (I don't know why it happened then in particular). I moved away from Surrey a while ago and for the past 5 years I've become a proper Thorpe Park geek. I suppose it's a mixture of nostalgia and a genuine love of the place that brings me here.I think I was lucky to be born when I was because Thorpe Park's developed with me... it might sound strange but it's always got new rides when I've been ready for them (tall enough and looking for something bigger). I've seen many rides come and go and I've seen the park struggle with its identity for a while and I love it like a child. :(

I'm here because... I used to own this site along with everyone else and of course good old Tussauds Zone. Then it all went tits up. Loved theme parks for a long time though, the poor management of Thorpe Park keeps me away from it alot these days however. My first trip there in about 3 months is tommorow =]

• 4 months later...

lol it's like rehab or somthing "ive been an alcaholic for three years now lol ( I havent by the way lol)". Anyway ive been going to chessie since I was very young, I guess it really took off when I went with my cousin a few yrs ago, wetn again, and again then then about a million more times. So I joined DM Plus posted on there a few times, that closed so I found my way here. Altho an email about a late subscription or account activation or sumthin reminded me about tpm. :D

Hm, I tried doing this some time early last year. But decided my story was too long & complex. So, long story short;The first time I went to the park was around 1993-1996. I recall the memories of 1996 somewhat more.. so I'll go by that. Being young & everything, the atmosphere for me was immense! The people, the rides and music. & seeing the hype over the new dark coaster, x/nwo. Back when even looking at the entrance scared me.It was somewhere to just get away & enjoy yourself really. To use the boats to get to one side of the park to another was someting too, or the hudson river rafts. Health & safety would have slaughtered thorpe for a ride like that nowadays.& to this day I still find the atmosphere of the park somewhat.. amazing, breathtaking? Whatever you want to call it, it gives me a feel that nowhere else in the world can. So, as I grew older I tried searching for people who share my love for the park & try to research more into the park itself. & thats about all there is too it.. well, theres a lot more to it if I'm being honest, but thats the basics. I dont wanna bore you (:so, yeah. that brings me to the present day! still growing up around thorpe & hope to be for years to come.

Hmmm well I was always a tomboy when I was younger, loved crazy, fun things etc, and the first time I went to a theme park was Chessington in 1998. Loved it :DAlso that was when the Rattlesnake used to be a 1.17 ride :D so I got on it!So yeah, loved that, wanted to again as I loved the fun of it, the rides, etc. The next time I went was 1999, went on the Vampire for the first time (was too scared before!), became obsessed with that hehe! Went few months later...and for a few years never went to any theme parks :D parents didn't really take us those sort of places and I never went with my friends again. Had been to Brighton Pier though :D first upside down coaster - Turbo!I really wanted to go to Alton Towers and every year my dad would say he would take me...never did! Eventually, October 2004 (!!) he took me, my friend and my brother came along, to Thorpe for Fright Nights. OMG I WAS HOOKED :DFrom then on I went with my friends loads, especially last season thanks to working there, Dream Ticket etc!Oh, and at some point during last season...I fell in love with Rush! Before that I think my favourite ride was either Colossus, Rush or Detty, but something happened last season...lol and now I am dangerously obsessed with that Screamin' Swing!And I eventually went to Alton, November last year with some Thorpies! Was amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing, I knew it was massive, very well themed, etc, but it still really hit me when I got there, on the Monorail my jaw was seriosuly dropping when I was looking out the window!Next stop: CEDAR POINT! SKYHAWK BABY!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

Well I started going to Thorpe when I was a few weeks old, got some old video somewhere of me in a pram in Carousel Kingdom lol. Grew up in Staines, so went there a lot with my family when I was younger, although I hated rides with a passion.I was the outcast one, I would go on Rocky Express a million times whilst waiting for everyone else to come off Loggers Leap.I was about 5 or 6 when I was FORCED onto Loggers by my dad, I was screaming and crying and I hated every second of it! Didnt go back to Thorpe until I was 9ish, but went with friends and I didnt want to be left out so I went on everyhting, and things took off from there really!! Got my first AP when I was 10 and yeah. Then I moved down South and I miss it :P