The Poll of retirement

Mark9

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these retired rides have you been on?

• The Fifth Dimension at Chessington (Rethemed in 1993)
    • Professor Burps Bubbleworks at Chessington (Rethemed in 2005)
    • Rodeo at Chessington (Retired in 2004)
    • Forbidden/Terror Tomb at Chessington (Rethemed in 2002)
    • Samurai at Chessington (Moved in 2003)
    • The Original Vampire at Chessington (Closed in 2000)
    • Space Station Zero at Thorpe Park (Rethemed early 90's)
    • Calgary Stampede at Thorpe Park (Retired in 2003)
    • Eclipse at Thorpe Park (Moved in 2004)
    • Dare Devil Drivers at Thorpe Park (Closed in 1999/2000)
    • Bumper Boats at Thorpe Park (Closed in 2000)
    • Wicked Witches Haunt at Thorpe Park (Destroyed by fire in 2000)
    • Miss Hippos Fungle Safari at Thorpe Park (Closed in 2007)
    • Mr Rabbits Tropical Travels at Thorpe Park (Closed in 2001)
    • CCR The Bear Hunt at Thorpe Park (Closed in 2011)

We've been through a period where very few rides at Thorpe Park and Chessington have been removed. From the list of rides in the poll, please select all the rides you have been fortunate to ride before their closures.

I have kept this as Chessington and Thorpe Park as there are too many rides at Blackpool and Alton Towers that have been removed. :)

My first visit to Thorpe was in 2001, so anything before that is an obvious no. As is The Fifth Dimension at Chessington, seeing as I would have been riding that whilst being minus figures...

The only ones I can safely say I did do are Fungle and CCR. I probably did do a couple others but I don't remember it if I did.

My first visit to Chessie was around 2005/6 (I think), so I haven't done anything that was at Chessie. Well, I might have done Bubbleworks before the retheme, but I don't think I did. Parents did ride Samurai whilst it was there though.

Out of that list, only not ridden 4 (though the Magic Carpet would be 5), which really only 2 of them I could've actually ridden (being Eclipse and Terror Tomb)...

5th Dimension and Space Station Zero never existed on my visits, hence to me, they never actually existed in my lifetime...

My earliest memories are of Chessington back when it had 'Circus World' (roughly where Wild Asia is now).Remember it having a circus (obviously) and it was the original home of the Rodeo - then called The Juggler - I think it was set at an angle rather than flat on the ground.

Only other things I remember that aren't there any more are a big giraffe enclosure where Rameses Revenge is now, the Chessington train (can anyone tell me what route it took? All I remember is the Toytown Station). I seem to remember a mini train operating as well - whose tracks you could see for a long time after (and possibly even today) around the area between Mexicana and Forbidden Kingdom. I have loads of old Chessington maps, going back to the year Rameses Revenge was installed - sadly I lost the one from the year before that)

As for the retired rides - been on them all except Space Station Zero and The Fifth Dimension.

My earliest memories are of Chessington back when it had 'Circus World' (roughly where Wild Asia is now).Remember it having a circus (obviously) and it was the original home of the Rodeo - then called The Juggler - I think it was set at an angle rather than flat on the ground.

Yes it was!

Circus5.jpg

Until quite recently I was adamant the Juggler and Rodeo were different rides. I remember Juggler seeming so huge to the young me and as you say it was at an angle, but clearly from pictures they are the same.

Circus4.jpg

This is my Chessington. Circus, juggler, magic carpet behind and the faces surrounding dragons drop in the distance, all since gone. Good times.