The new London Dungeon

N.B. I realise this review may include details about the new Dungeon that people have read about on other websites already - apologies in advance.

Today I have been to the new London Dungeon at County Hall.

I arrived at Waterloo about 2:30pm, and took the short walk to the Dungeon, arriving about 10 minutes later. On approach, the Dungeon isn't as large nor heavily advertised as I expected. I immediately saw the normal queue, and as expected, wasn't short. I was pleased to see it was well-organised though, and not spilling out onto the walkway outside County Hall. The front entrance to the Dungeon is quite plain, with glass doors contantly open, and the main entrance split in 2, with the right hand-side being for groups and Passholders. The 2 lit torches burning with a gentle flame on either side look fantastic, but with County Hall's exterior, it doesn't look anywhere near as grand as the Tooley Street entrance.

Whilst waiting for the entrance photo, we were greeted to a sing-song by a couple costumed members characters. I suppose it does help pass the time, but no sooner had that finished, I noticed an effect by a wall, as some yellow sick spewed onto the floor. Within seconds I realised this wasn't an effect, and it was actually an ill guest, with his head up against the wall. :unsure:

After the photo, you have to queue further inside, with a typical Merlin queue where you go up one side, and back down the other, taking approximately 10 minutes. However, you're not bored to death here, with some good effects in the queueline to startle you. At this point, it is worth noting the interior - very good, well themed to make it look aged, and this general interior is continued throughout the entire Dungeon. However aged it may be made to look, it doesn't compare with Tooley Street's which was quite worn in, remember this is brand new as Tooley's was nearly 40 years old. In some places the lighting is a little bit too modern, and not dimmed enough, therefore for me, the effect is slightly taken away, together with this new aged interior. So put these together, and it feels like a new Dungeon, but there is clear difference inside as one would expect, but is it too much of a difference? That's a matter of opinion.

After eventually getting to the desk to pay you entrance fee, you get into a very large elevator that is well themed with hanging ropes from above. And once you exit that, your experience (or torture) really begins.

The rats that you see throughout aren't as bad as the reviews make out.

Generally, the scenes and effects are very well done, and the script changes throughout are clear to see, especially when you get to the scenes that you would've seen at Tooley Street, such as the Torturer and Judge scenes.

The Henry's Wrath Boat ride doesn't get you as wet as some reviews make out. Generally, all scenes as well done, especially the Guy Fawkes Gunpowder Plot. The best scene for me has to be Jack The Ripper and the Ten Bells pub. After sitting in the pub for a few minutes with the landlady, a costumed actor as Jack appears in the pub amongst flashing strobe light effects, this is a good scene that was great at Tooley, but is much better in this new Dungeon!

The Whitechapel Labyrinth scene, or the mirror maze is much improved, as unlike Tooley Street, you are not walking around in circles for 5 minutes whilst they hold you there. Before you know it, you're out into the Ten Bells pub.

I didn't go on Drop Dead, as I'm not keen on it, so I cannot comment, however I caught a glimpse of it and the theming inside looks great.

To conclude, this new Dungeon is fantastic and definitely worth a visit. However, for those who loved the old Tooley Street one, you will not only miss it because of the aged interior, but some of the scenes such as the first one near the old Tooley entrance are not here at the new Dungeon. Within the last week one message has emerged about this new Dungeon, and that is that things have been toned down generally, compared to Tooley Street - this is clearly evident throughout.

I urge you to take a visit soon, they are offering free admission to other Merlin attractions when you pay for your visit at this new London Dungeon. And don't forget to have a horrible time! ;)