Carters Steam Fair

pluk

Carters Steam Fair is the most wonderful travelling vintage fair. It's set up in Maldon today, if you find yourself nearby I thoroughly recommend you go. The rides might be ancient and powered by steam, but don't let that fool you! The Steam Boats are probably the most genuinely dangerous (and therefore properly thrilling) ride operating in the UK, they are incredible.

Unfortunately the Divebomber and Giant Octopus aren't touring this year, I'm really going to miss them.

Little facebook video from today in Maldon gives a good idea of the set up.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fcarterssteamfair%2Fvideos%2F1663665057087173%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

56 minutes ago, pluk said:

the Divebomber and Giant Octopus aren't touring this year, I'm really going to miss them.

This is very disappointing. Carter’s steam fair goes to a park which is literally meters outside my house. Walking across to ride the divebomber and get some candy floss (but not in the other order ?) has been one of life’s greatest pleasures for the past 6 or 7 years. 

I visited Carters a few years ago, and as someone who appreciated vintage rides I was in my element!

They have a fantastic ghost train, the interior was done by Richard Cadell (who also designed and built Terror Castle at Brean) and is so well done.

Highly recommend.

32 minutes ago, CharlieN said:

This is very disappointing...Walking across to ride the divebomber and get some candy floss (but not in the other order ?) has been one of life’s greatest pleasures 

Sadly I think the Divebomber has actually been retired, it was up for sale earlier this year I think.  ?

Octopus is just being worked on though, it had got a little tired, desperately needed new cushioning on the seating.