What was X:/ No Way Out like pre-2007?

X:/ No Way Out

British Theme Park Archive pointed out recently that X No Way Out never had a computer virus theme in the first place.

https://www.facebook.com/754391131295505/posts/2947543095313620/

"Myth 4— X No Way Out didn't actually have anything to do with a computer virus when it first opened. This surprised me and was really interesting speaking to one of the people on its development team about the ride. The theme was something to look cool for its time. The name was just a trendy tagline when computers were becoming popular—today's equivalent is probably # No Way Out! The original concept behind the coaster was basically a ride that goes 'wrong', you think it's gonna go forwards but alarms sound and you go backwards as a surprise. Throughout the ride strange sounds are heard of the coaster trying to restart and all sorts, it starts to go forwards but then rolls backwards again (always wondered why it did that!). After the on-board audio disappeared it wasn't as clear what was going on and this theme was lost. The computer horror idea came about when the ride had a very low budget revamp in 2007. A video was added to the queueline but that was as far as it went, the video had disappeared by the next year."

17 hours ago, X:/ No Way Out said:

Maybe the 2007 revamp was inspired by Swayzak. After all, those UK people did go to America a lot. IDK if they even saw him though, as he was so obscure and only appeared for a week.

They were not inspired by that. Any resemblance you see is coincidence. There are hundreds and thousands of "virus" themed media and it's such a vague concept anyway. It wasn't inspired by this thing you like, plain and simple.

• 5 months later...
On 5/5/2020 at 5:44 AM, Hethetheth said:

They were not inspired by that. Any resemblance you see is coincidence. There are hundreds and thousands of "virus" themed media and it's such a vague concept anyway. It wasn't inspired by this thing you like, plain and simple.

I knew it, anyway. Like you said, there are lots of virus themed media, usually not getting it right when viruses are sentient (Barbie and Are You Afraid of the Dark come to mind...) The only media that got it right were Toonami, Scooby-Doo, this obscure Milton Bradley board game called The Omega Virus, and ReBoot. I'm creating my own computer virus character inspired by my favorite virus media (the ones mentioned above), and soon enough he'll be on the list.

• 7 months later...

Hi, I'm X:/ No Way Out, it's just that Facebook is being stupid and throws an error at me when I try to sign it. That being said, I KNOW the computer horror idea wasn't inspired by Swayzak, but I still wanted the computer virus to be sentient because I LOVE that concept (only Toonami, Scooby-Doo, a board game from the '90s, and ReBoot did it best.)

What I'm doing is creating a Thorpe Park Rangers series (probs a comic, tho an animated series would be nice) that features X:/ No Way Out as a major attraction, using the computer horror theme from the 2007 version. Basically, Abraxas (the virus' name) emerges through mysterious causes. Some say it was a brilliant hacker getting revenge on the genetic testing lab he used to work at. Others say it was a meteor striking discarded computer components in a junkyard. Whatever the case, Abraxas is out for blood, and he infects the Thorpe Park Power Supply, making a coaster recently opened to guests go backwards. The computer is trying all it can to resist Abraxas; it tries to restart numerous times, but Abraxas' control over the system is perfect, as he is a dangerous virus that can only be taken down by a large force. The Thorpe Park Rangers are able to defeat Abraxas then, but years later, he re-emerges, hellbent on revenge and taking over Britain. Only the Thorpe Park Rangers and their allies can stop him.

There's even an episode inspired by the Superman TAS episode with the Legion of Super-Heroes, where Abraxas goes back in time to kill the Thorpe Park Rangers, and the Future Alliance (composed of forthcoming rides for the park) have to go back and save the Rangers.

• 2 years later...
On 6/26/2021 at 9:36 PM, Supervolt said:

Hi, I'm X:/ No Way Out, it's just that Facebook is being stupid and throws an error at me when I try to sign it. That being said, I KNOW the computer horror idea wasn't inspired by Swayzak, but I still wanted the computer virus to be sentient because I LOVE that concept (only Toonami, Scooby-Doo, a board game from the '90s, and ReBoot did it best.)

What I'm doing is creating a Thorpe Park Rangers series (probs a comic, tho an animated series would be nice) that features X:/ No Way Out as a major attraction, using the computer horror theme from the 2007 version. Basically, Abraxas (the virus' name) emerges through mysterious causes. Some say it was a brilliant hacker getting revenge on the genetic testing lab he used to work at. Others say it was a meteor striking discarded computer components in a junkyard. Whatever the case, Abraxas is out for blood, and he infects the Thorpe Park Power Supply, making a coaster recently opened to guests go backwards. The computer is trying all it can to resist Abraxas; it tries to restart numerous times, but Abraxas' control over the system is perfect, as he is a dangerous virus that can only be taken down by a large force. The Thorpe Park Rangers are able to defeat Abraxas then, but years later, he re-emerges, hellbent on revenge and taking over Britain. Only the Thorpe Park Rangers and their allies can stop him.

There's even an episode inspired by the Superman TAS episode with the Legion of Super-Heroes, where Abraxas goes back in time to kill the Thorpe Park Rangers, and the Future Alliance (composed of forthcoming rides for the park) have to go back and save the Rangers.

Very good story there. I’m new here, but am a theme park historian. I need to know about this 2007 advert. I have no stinking clue where to find it.