What was X:/ No Way Out like pre-2007?

X:/ No Way Out

Hi, I'm Danielle, and as you can see from my username, I love X:/ No Way Out (even though I've never rode it and live in the USA.) I specifically like it pre-2007, though, before they changed the storyline and sound effects. The computer virus theme appeals to me, because it reminds me of the Toonami miniseries "Trapped in Hyperspace" (am I the only USA person here who knows what that is?) I want to make a ride like X:/ and Outer Limits: Flight of Fear over at Kings Island and Kings Dominion in the USA had a baby, themed after that miniseries. So I want to ask, what was the experience like pre-2007?

I know there was a huge queue with interactive rooms that stayed until at least 2001 (when the fire happened and burned most of the rooms down; the animatronics were used at the final lift from 2002 onwards.) The neon green light was so strong, people's teeth glowed green. From the load/unload area onwards, most of the ride operated in pitch darkness, the only source of light being from the on ride camera that was removed in 2005. There were also a lot of effects and more audio in the early days. Could you explain just what effects and audio were there? The battery saying, "Thorpe Park Power Supply" was always there, and survived the update in 2007 and the "X" retheme in 2013 (which reminds me of Rez on the PS2.) 

I actually have a friend that went on this version; she went on in 2002 when she was 6 and it reminded her of Trapped in Hyperspace as well.

Anybody here who can help me out a bit more?

The best thing to do would be to watch this video all about X:\ No Way Out which was produced in 1996 by Thorpe Park when the ride was about to open: X:\ Promo video

There was never a fire in the X:\ No Way Out building. The fire at Thorpe Park was in 2000 and affected two other rides. The queue line was shortened for maintenance reasons and to free up the space to be used for Fright Night Mazes in 2002.

The full length of the queue line had sound effects and each ride train had an on board sound system with two speakers on each car. 

I've seen that video. Multiple times, in fact. It doesn't say much, doesn't give the story to the ride (That's one of the reasons I love this ride), and it doesn't show a full POV. Just jump cuts of things I can't make out besides the kids (it looks like the track.) Is there ANY home video of X:/ No Way Out pre-2002? (Fun fact: The "There IS no way out" voice from 2:05-2:20 in that video sounds like Swayzak from the Toonami Trapped in Hyperspace miniseries. He is a computer virus, and the ride is about a computer virus. IS THORPE PARK FORESHADOWING SOMETHING?)

I would be surprised if there were any more in depth videos than the promo posted. You say your favourite version is the pre-2007 version, but also ask what the experience was like, which makes me confused as to how it's your favourite, but anyway...

This may be of interest. This video is from 2001 and has footage of X with lights on (plus footage of the aftermath of the fire) 

Also might enjoy this:

I recall my parents went on it near its opening date in 1996 and both hated it. It made them really nauseous.

On 8/12/2018 at 4:58 AM, Hethetheth said:

I would be surprised if there were any more in depth videos than the promo posted. You say your favourite version is the pre-2007 version, but also ask what the experience was like, which makes me confused as to how it's your favourite, but anyway...

This may be of interest. This video is from 2001 and has footage of X with lights on (plus footage of the aftermath of the fire) 

Again, I've seen that video before. I'm from the US and like the pre-2007 version because it's themed after a computer virus and thus reminds me of the Toonami TIE "Trapped in Hyperspace" (which you UK people didn't get; you got the tie-in game but I bet none here have played it.) In fact, my headcanon is that the virus that infects the supercomputer and sends the car backwards is Swayzak.

On 8/12/2018 at 4:58 AM, Hethetheth said:

I recall my parents went on it near its opening date in 1996 and both hated it. It made them really nauseous.

My friend Martha went on it on her trip to the UK in 1998 and loved it...

It's probably the unfortunate case that you've seen all the internet has to offer about the original X:\No Way Out.

The theme and story was always very loose, even back in 1996 it wasn't the clearest or most obvious. The computer theme was just a case of responding to what was trendy at the time, and what teenagers thought was cool. No super deep backstory out anything of particular excitement related to anything else.

It very much split public opinion, with some finding it dull and boring, some finding it sickening and some enjoying it as a fun novelty. It had to go through so many changes before they eventually had to give up the ghost and change it to X. And even then, it arguably only truly peaked in 2017 (and 2013 was a good year too tbf).

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2018 at 2:29 AM, ChiapasC. said:

It's probably the unfortunate case that you've seen all the internet has to offer about the original X:\No Way Out.

The theme and story was always very loose, even back in 1996 it wasn't the clearest or most obvious. The computer theme was just a case of responding to what was trendy at the time, and what teenagers thought was cool. No super deep backstory out anything of particular excitement related to anything else.

It very much split public opinion, with some finding it dull and boring, some finding it sickening and some enjoying it as a fun novelty. It had to go through so many changes before they eventually had to give up the ghost and change it to X. And even then, it arguably only truly peaked in 2017 (and 2013 was a good year too tbf).

There was a virus, so it was obviously Swayzak, though this was before 2002. What luck, I'm listening to a vaporwave track I made sampling a song by a British band called Swayzak.

• 4 months later...

TBH X:No Way Out post the change in market was pretty dead anyway, I remember it always being dead and people weren't really fans of it.

The theme idea was cool but there was barely any themeing, just black walls and the occasional very random object that I would barely class as "theming".

The ride itself was uncomfortable with a bunch of backward jolts and the darkness just made it kinda boring,

every memory I have of the ride is just chavs behind me saying "this is boring".

I don't think X:NWO will ever come back to frank, when it left nobody seemed to really care because the ride was very just beyond its sell by date.

When Nemesis, Colossus, and Stealth were added I think X just kinda lost its relevance, I don't think changing it back would be something Merlin or Thorpe would even consider.

On 8/11/2018 at 6:54 PM, X:/ No Way Out said:

I know there was a huge queue with interactive rooms that stayed until at least 2001 (when the fire happened and burned most of the rooms down; the animatronics were used at the final lift from 2002 onwards.) The neon green light was so strong, people's teeth glowed green. From the load/unload area onwards, most of the ride operated in pitch darkness, the only source of light being from the on ride camera that was removed in 2005. There were also a lot of effects and more audio in the early days. Could you explain just what effects and audio were there?

X NWO was an interesting ride. Really not much left by the time it changed to X. Even then X was just a very minimal change but with a new fun factor having some audio and lighting in the coaster area.

There were no animatronics, the robots were static. The light you mention was UV which always makes white glow such as teeth.

XNWO was a pretty convoluted concept which never quite worked as intended, but there was originally a lot more to it than the totally empty, bad experience it was in the 2000s. A whole lot more audio and the pre-ride walkaround. I always liked the 'theme' for a coaster, something different. Could have almost been the 'industrial zone' from the Crystal Maze but just never had the money for it.

It was never a classic ride but a fun experiment, more of a children's coaster. If I remember hearing it was originally 1.2m? Might be wrong on that but it was definitely not supposed to be a hardcore thrill coaster or really that "scary", just disorientating and strange.

There was no story, the theme was nothing to do with a computer either (other than the name, which was just a 'current' name for the day). Had it been done a bit better it might have been great fun and lasted longer.

Lots of misinformation was spread about it online in the 2000s I remember, that there was orignally some kind of "plot" about an evil computer. In 2007 some TVs were added with a cheaply made video telling about the "X super computer" going wrong, it was funny but pointless and removed within a year.

17 minutes ago, Wumbamillio said:

It was never a classic ride but a fun experiment, more of a children's coaster. If I remember hearing it was originally 1.2m? Might be wrong on that but it was definitely not supposed to be a hardcore thrill coaster or really that "scary", just disorientating and strange.

This is something I've heard too, but never seen anything concrete to confirm. Even stuff I have from 96 (maps) indicate a 1.4m restriction, so if it ever was 1.2m, the change must have happened quickly.

Maybe it was more intended to have a 1.2m restriction, but ended up with a 1.4m? Not sure, but would love to know either way!

I remember once during a visit in 2005 that I took with my family, some company was handing out these free yoghurt drinks at the entrance (Genius marketing there - hard to think this was pre Merlin) and as a result my brother was sick whilst we were riding X. For many on that hot August day I imagine the rides theming included a strong smell of strawberry/sick. Hope this helps! 

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2019 at 3:54 PM, Wumbamillio said:

X NWO was an interesting ride. Really not much left by the time it changed to X. Even then X was just a very minimal change but with a new fun factor having some audio and lighting in the coaster area.

There were no animatronics, the robots were static. The light you mention was UV which always makes white glow such as teeth.

XNWO was a pretty convoluted concept which never quite worked as intended, but there was originally a lot more to it than the totally empty, bad experience it was in the 2000s. A whole lot more audio and the pre-ride walkaround. I always liked the 'theme' for a coaster, something different. Could have almost been the 'industrial zone' from the Crystal Maze but just never had the money for it.

There was no story, the theme was nothing to do with a computer either (other than the name, which was just a 'current' name for the day). Had it been done a bit better it might have been great fun and lasted longer.

Lots of misinformation was spread about it online in the 2000s I remember, that there was orignally some kind of "plot" about an evil computer. In 2007 some TVs were added with a cheaply made video telling about the "X super computer" going wrong, it was funny but pointless and removed within a year.

The plot was about a computer virus and I don't think it was misinformation. 2005 map refers to a computer in the ride. But my plans for it have to be the best cuz Swayzak

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 6:45 AM, Wumbamillio said:

There was a video about a computer virus added for one season only in 2005, nearly 10 years after the ride opened and after most the original design had been removed. There was never supposed to be a story to the ride

I thought that video had been there since 1996.

What did the virus look like? ANYTHING like my avatar?

9 hours ago, Wumbamillio said:

It looked like a video shot on a £10 budget by some ride staff over winter. It was there for only a couple months in 2007. There was no 'virus' seen in the video, just some random clips with voiceover

That's why it failed. It was low budget, like the original video for Moloko's "Fun for Me," before the party version made for the US (where I'm from.) 

But didn't in the 2007 video say something about the computer going wrong? This was 2005 when the virus video was around.

If they had shown the virus, and he looked like Swayzak (the character on my avatar for all you uneducated Brits), people would be drawn to X:/. A computer virus causing the ride to go backwards is an innovative concept, and I'm ashamed they never did anything with that. Computer viruses were a thing in the '90s, why not have that storyline as early as 1996? And it's definitely not going to be outdated at all. As long as there are computers, there will still be computer viruses.

6 minutes ago, Hethetheth said:

What's Swayzak, you've not mentioned it before?

In seriousness though, it really just wasn't imbued with much more story or depth than the general nod towards computers and viruses.

A sentient computer virus from Toonami's "Trapped in Hyperspace" and probably the most cheesiest villain ever. He's pretty cute.

• 11 months later...

Even though it's TWD now, I still want to have some X:/ No Way Out recognition. Maybe I could write a few stories set in the universe, I dunno.

The original ride was about a computer virus. If you know me from my other posts, you know that I LOVE computer viruses, thanks to Swayzak from Toonami, a character from America (where I live.) I was intending to base the virus from X:/ after him, but not exactly.

From what we gather in the ride, the virus has infected the Thorpe power supply. We should expand on why he did so, maybe it's for fun, maybe it's for a different reason. We should also expand on where he came from.

I hope you agree with me on this. I love X:/.