Brean Leisure Park - Fun City Trip Report and Ridecount

Brean Leisure Park is a brilliant place located in Somerset, with an indoor and outdoor swimming pool (with waterslides), a brilliant crazy golf course (and huge proper golf course, although we didn't do this) and most importantly Fun City - home to Astro Storm (which was formerly Space Invader at Blackpool Pleasure Beach :))

Fun City has two brilliant dark rides - which is great for an amusement park which in reality isn't massive (although does have quite a few quality rides).

TERROR CASTLE is probably the scariest ghost train I have ever been on, and I have been on a lot. It is a constant array of loud noises, strobe lighting, scenes of horror (very gory) and fast downward slopes both indoors and outdoors. Things come at you from every angle, left right and celing, often at the same time!

ASTRO STORM is absolutely fantastic! I really liked Space Invader 2 (never rode the original) but it is so much better here! The ride is taken in almost total darkness, but there are a multitude of effects, aliens and more that light up as you whizz past them. There is a massive air cannon at one stage that genuinely makes you jump and the ride actually has a really good storyline (and Theme music!)

The best thing about it that wasn't present last year (or at Blackpool) is that it actually runs with intent now! Whilst the trim brakes still slow the car down, they have been reduced a lot this year so that you actually feel a fair amount of force on the drops and final spiral section. The shuttles were also running faster this year, I think the wheels had been replaced or something.

Plus throughput isn't a problem at Fun City, because it never has a very long queue (and is usually near to walk on).

Staff at Fun City are generally pleased to see you reriding the rides, although I didn't stay on, I walked round each time.

RIDECOUNT: (Over two days, one daytime wristband 10:30am - 5pm and one evening wristband 5pm - 9:30pm)

Astro Storm x51

Terror Castle x32

Magic Mouse x11

Shockwave x7 (Quite efficiently run for a Pinfari - shame about the roughness :lol: ) Throughput I believe is 940pph

Wild Water x3 (Honestly this thing got us soaked! And it's just a standard off the shelf model. Other's of these don't get you that wet!)

Disco Fever x3 (Funniest ride ever!)

Dodgems x1

Wipeout x1 (KMG Afterburner, run well)

Xtreme x1 (Good but they leave it on for far too long! Closest I'll ever come to experiencing Spin Doctor :()

Waltzer x1

Hellraiser x1

Sizzler x1

I would reccomend this park (and leisure park as a whole) to anyone, Fun City is a brilliant amusement park with two brilliant dark rides (and for the record, Astro Storm is much, much better than X) and a selection of other great rides and it's just generally great fun.

Thank you for reading, comments and questions are very welcome :)

We were thinking about coming here as we got free tickets to the water park but surprisingly we didn't go!? Maybe we will head down this summer! Great report and ride count but I am very suprised you didn't ride X factory :o I hate those type of rides and I am going to stay well clear of it but I was just wondering why you didn't ride :P

I rode a version of xtreme called XLR8 at eastcote funderpark and although the ride is great they are full of force and they are really intense! That was the downside as when we went backwards it was fine but when we went forwards I just got forced into the restraint! I'm excited to go here as there are some decent rides so hopefully I will get down soon :)

^ We didn't ride X Factory because they leave it on for far too long there and it leaves you feeling sick.

It is a great amusement park though, especially Astro Storm and Terror Castle :)

Haha :P

When I go **hopefully** I will be staying well clear of X factory. Although they have the cool water effects I hate that type of ride! I did one called big wave at villacher kirchtag in Austria and I felt like I was about to fall out! I kept screaming that I wanted to get off but the ride would just not stop- I wouldn't have minded it if the bars were individual but it was just this metal bar going down across the whole row and I could have easily slipped out!

I wouldn't have minded it if the bars were individual but it was just this metal bar going down across the whole row and I could have easily slipped out!

This one has individal lapbars, but they go to the same place for each person no matter what size you are!

This one has individal lapbars, but they go to the same place for each person no matter what size you are!

It still looks unsafe to me! The only one I would ever consider trying is deep impact as that as overhead bars!

What actually is X Factory?

It's a ride made by KMG:

http://www.kmg.nl/kmg/factory/xfactory_en.html

The only one cool thing about these types of rides is that you get tilted forwards and squirted by water, that is if the ops are mean enough to actually get you wet!

^ It's perfectly safe, there is no way of falling out of the ride.

I'm still not going on it :P everyone's legs fly about in the air ;)

I really hope I can go down to brean this summer, although I have practically done all the rides there but at different places I still think it would be nice to go with a friend. Also, it means I can get an extra trip to a funpark/theme park because I generally just go to thorpe and chessie! I also tend to head down to the rose pleasure parks. Boy are they good :)

http://www.rosespleasureparks.co.uk/about

Incase you don't know what they are, they are basically funfairs but you pay £6.99 to ride as much as you like; it's basically a cheaper version of brean ;)

^ It's perfectly safe, there is no way of falling out of the ride.

Miami / Music Trip rides are quite famous for flinging people from them occasionally actually, usually when riders are below the height requirement but some models have had issues with the restraints themselves. Unfortunately I've seen it with my own eyes at a local fair in the early 90's when a girl went on quite a flight but wasn't badly injured (one of two fairly serious accidents I've seen in person, the other being a ski jump lose a carriage at full speed, thankfully it was empty and missed bystanders but could have been horrific).

Quite hard to find articles on incidents because of the name for the ride confusing the results and most of the incidents were when the design was new 20 odd years ago and the internet didn't exist. Still is safe though, a lot safer than your journey to the fair anyway!

Must get to Brean at some point, used to love SI2 and I only hear good things about what they have done with it.

Miami / Music Trip rides are quite famous for flinging people from them occasionally actually, usually when riders are below the height requirement but some models have had issues with the restraints themselves. Unfortunately I've seen it with my own eyes at a local fair in the early 90's when a girl went on quite a flight but wasn't badly injured (one of two fairly serious accidents I've seen in person, the other being a ski jump lose a carriage at full speed, thankfully it was empty and missed bystanders but could have been horrific).

That must have been scary to watch :o

Safety standards at Brean are much higher than that of a travelling fair though, they maintain their rides to the highest standard (or at least that was what I read somewhere) and they check the height of people before allowing them on rides like that.