Places near Alton Towers

yeah

I'm mainly talking about places to stay and eat here - but it doesn't matter.

There's a nice little village called Kingsley Holt, specifically a nice little modern cottage which we make an annual trip to - one road village with a lovely community, two pubs (The Blacksmith Arms, which is closer and The Railway [Inn?]), the latter serving wonderful food and is owned by nice people (who used to own the other pub on our first two trips). 15 minutes away from Towers by car, 1-2 hours, 15 minutes in the other direction is Stoke and Birmingham, Manchester is about 1-2 hours away and there are LOADS of football grounds (Stoke, Birmingham, West Brom, Walsall, Villa which is handy being a Brentford fan lmao). So yeah, loads to do, Towers is nearby and a lovely cottage. Perfect. Will try and find photos in a sec. (Leave off btw it's mine k)

EDIT Couldnt find it on Google so used streetview instead.

I think Ive got the right one anywayScreenshot_2016-05-09-05-28-30.png

Screenshot_2016-05-09-05-30-20.png

Edited by ChessingtonSam

1 hour ago, Ian-S said:

You should rent out the cottage Sam, you'd make a killing over the summer lol

Silly question but how are hostels for families, talking two adults who think they are kids and a teenager, we've done the campsites but never a hostel.

No no no no no, we don't own it, the owners rent it out lol, we just stay there every year. I said its mine as it's like my favourite place ever :wub:

You can also take pets but only one, which is irritating as we have 2 young cats who can't be separated.

1 hour ago, Ian-S said:

You should rent out the cottage Sam, you'd make a killing over the summer lol

Silly question but how are hostels for families, talking two adults who think they are kids and a teenager, we've done the campsites but never a hostel.

Yup the one I went to was filled with families. Nice food. Decent room. Great scenery and even better proximity to The Towers.

http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/ilam-hall

Honestly though, I thought it wouldn't have a family atmosphere but it was perfect. There was a even a room with a table tennis table and table football table. It was just a nice place to be. Super friendly and cheap rates too.

I've stayed at a place called Peakstone Inn both times when I've gone to Towers with my family (2010, 2014). It's been very nice both times I've gone, though we had to stay in a portacabin outside and It was a bit of a building site last time I went. The place where you eat is very nice, quiet, not a giant range of food but still very nice. First time we went, there was a complication with our food order and after an hour of waiting, my mum recieved a chicken dish instead of a veggie one, but staff we kind enough to refund her and give her the veg meal. There's also kareoke (where a very scared eight year old me sang supercalifragilisticexpialidocious as a dare from my dad) The breakfast room is covered in toys won at Towers' game stalls, which is very unique, plus it's very close to the park. I think prices are reasonable too, and the landlady is very friendly.

Here's its Tripadvisor page if you're interested at all.

Stayed at the Dog and Partridge in Swinscoe when I went last year. Booked for me as a gift so wasn't sure what to expect, but it was alright. The accommodation was a little dated (but nicely sized and with parking outside the door to each chalet), the food a little overpriced but not all too bad considering the location and the staff seemed decent.

Also dog friendly, which is a plus for us despite... you know, not actually owning a dog yet. Shh.

We've stayed at the Through Ivy House (or similar name) a couple of times, it's a b&b right by the gates, which is handy - it's closer to the turnstiles than the on site hotels and carparks! There is nothing else around, obviously, but I prefer it to the hotels and it's pretty cheap midweek. Generally have dinner and a few drinks in the hotels, then an evening stroll back.

Although there's nothing much about it's also a good base for some nice county walks on days off from the park if that's your kind of thing, like it is mine. The Chained Oak is a nice stroll and a must, obvs, and a slightly longer walk to The Ramblers Retreat which is a slightly odd cafe restaurant place in the middle of nowhere which does AMAZZZZING desserts.  Lemon Meringue Pie about 2 foot tall, I kid you not. It's a must!

Should also add that the cottage has a porch, living room, kitchen, a big square hallway kind of area, a kids room with two beds and a wardrobe (no tv, we usually take the one from my room as there is plug sockets), The bigger room with a double bed (not sure on the size) a bathroom and a conservatory, a big kitchen (tip if you do go- the bin is in what looks like one of the cupboards) and a few little bits of food and drink (some biscuits and a bottle of wine, possibly), the back garden which is fairly big and has a big field with horses in behind it, a closet and of course a full bathroom. I think we got an Alton Towers map once aswell.