Drayton Manor - Sunday 15th May 2016 PTR

PARK OPEN: 10:30am - 5pm (The park opens at 9:30am, but no rides until 10:30)
RIDES CLOSED:  Pirate Ship, Polperro Express, Tram Express (Pirate Adventure also closed indefinitely throughout this year).

After seeing a half price ticket offer on the website, a last minute decision was made to visit Drayton Manor!  I had visited once before, which was back in 2013 during the fireworks event.

The day didn't get off to the best of starts; we arrived at around 10am (rides open 10:30am) and stood in a queue waiting for G Force to open.  Just before opening time, a member of staff came out to tell us that it wouldn't be opening on time.  Following this we went and queued for Shockwave, which was now building up a large queue due to G Force not being open.  10:30 came and went, and a staff member came out to tell us that it would be late opening!  Fortunately after two test runs the ride opened and we got on.
I also noticed that Air Race and Pandemonium opened late, which isn't great in all honesty.

Aesthetically the park is in a fantastic state, with many of the areas looking much fresher than they did back in 2013.  It is clear that a lot of time and money goes into making the park presentable, with clean pathways, freshly painted areas and well landscaped trees/plants.  Great stuff! :)

For the benefit of those who haven't visited Drayton Manor, I'll review a few of the rides.

G Force receives a lot of negative reviews, but personally I love it!  The sensation of hanging off the restraint during the lifthill followed by a pop of airtime (quite a lot of airtime in the back row!) is fantastic, and the two inversions that follow are forceful.  My only gripe with the ride experience is that it isn't longer.

Shockwave was enjoyable again - it surprises me how the standing up aspect doesn't have the effect you would expect, however there are a few very forceful moments such as the zero-g-roll.

Apocalypse (drop tower) is still my favourite ride on park, however it was disappointing that the stand-up floorless is closed this year.  I believe the park hope to have it back open next year, and as a result the area around it has been cleared out so that they can get a crane in to fix it over the winter.

Air Race is the newest thrill ride, and one that I hadn't yet experienced.  At first I actually found it quite relaxing which was strange - however unfortunately I felt quite sick towards the end (didn't help that I had a headache all day, so no fault of the ride).  My verdict was that it was okay, but more of a family ride than a thrill ride.  Purely for a point of comparison, I much prefer Skyforce.

This brings me to The Haunting.  It is a Madhouse attraction, which when I went on it back in 2013 was enjoyable, but a few areas looked a bit naff and the overall storyline was weak.
The ride has had a complete overhaul this year, and it is now absolutely superb.  There is a completely new pre-show video with a new storyline (now with "Doctor Ghostman" instead of the infamous "Doctor X"), and the idea is that you are researching into paranormal activity ("RIPA").

Inside the attraction itself there are some really effective new projection effects both in the second room and the Madhouse itself.  There are also some classic gags as well, such as the skeleton coming from the ceiling in the corridor.  Also, in the big room after the corridor, there is a great effect in the ceiling - don't miss it!
There has been a complete overhaul of the attraction's lighting, with under floor lighting effects, UV effects in places as well as colour-changing LED's and strobes.  As well as this, they are using Midnight Syndicate music throughout which creates a fantastic atmosphere.
Overall I was hugely impressed with The Haunting, it is clear that Drayton have used their imagination with the refurbishment and it has really paid off. :D

Ben 10 (Vekoma junior boomerang coaster) was also enjoyable, with some good forces on the forwards half of the ride.

Stormforce 10 was good, a word of advice is to sit at the front if you want to stay drier - the backwards drop is a soaker!  It amazes me how a ride system similar to Valhalla seems to run with far fewer issues, although the ride experience doesn't come close IMO!

Maelstrom is great, the best flat at Drayton IMO.

RIDECOUNT:
Apocalypse x4 (Stand up x3, Sit Down x1)
G Force x4
Shockwave x2
The Haunting x2
Stormforce 10 x1
Maelstrom x1
Air Race x1
Pandemonium x1
Chairlift x1 (great for views of the park!)
Splash Canyon Rapids x1 (better than Rumba and Congo IMO)
Ben 10 x1
Golden Nugget Shoot Out x1
Buffalo Coaster x1
Drunken Barrels x1

TOTAL: 22

Highlights:
- Great to get back to Drayton after a few years!
- The park is in a great state aesthetically and really clean.
- Staff were all friendly.
- The Haunting!

- No fastpass system! :D

Lowlights:
- Operations were poor in the morning, but thankfully they did improve later in the day.
- Slow dispatches on G Force all day, and a shame the ride only has one train.
- 5pm close was too early, the park was as busy as it had been all day at closing time - 6pm would have been spot on.
- A shame to see Pirate's Adventure closed.

Photos!

G Force;

26989728851_257401da85_b.jpg

27025247266_e10ffb0b2a_b.jpg

26989967441_cfd8a923c2_b.jpg

Shockwave;

26783669950_c763cae747_b.jpg

26452702334_24747b8093_b.jpg

27025178666_af511e1af2_b.jpg

Air Race (taken after park close);

26989753061_6f187cec1b_b.jpg

The Haunting :D

26452739684_0fa5610cf7_b.jpg

26989789801_3abc82058f_b.jpg

27025071256_3d52ea0d16_b.jpg

Stormforce 10;

26452712574_70834d4124_b.jpg

26963756252_281cf69e73_b.jpg

Some photos from the chairlift;

26963877362_bd9d5b0319_b.jpg

26963884152_c3044218fe_b.jpg

27025205036_9412f89741_b.jpg

26452797054_50683a0c59_b.jpg

Ben 10;
26783724320_2ae488235e_b.jpg

"Vertigo" under construction, this will be a high ropes course;
26783773500_b081a95568_b.jpg

Thanks for reading. :)

Shockwave was dreadful when I rode it last year; uncomfortable, rough and boring.  Even the zero-g roll (usually my favourite inversion) did little for me.  Genuinely surprises me people can enjoy it.

Glad to know that Haunting's improvements are actually improving the ride though!