My Plus Size Thorpe Park Experience (& Fright Night Review)

joshjjj

Yesterday I visited Thorpe park with some friends. All week I was worried about size restrictions. I have a 47-48 inch chest, am 6ft1, and weigh around 20 stone.

The first ride of the day was nemesis inferno. I needed a sharp push on the harness but everything was fine, didn't even feel tight. I rode this again later on in the dark and all was fine then as well.

The next ride we went on was Samurai. Everything was completely fine again didn't even feel tight.

the next ride we went on was Saw. Perfect amount of room, I doubt anyone couldn't ride that ride. We rode this three times throughout the day.

With my confidence up we tried Swarm. Previos times I've ridden swarm I've needed a big push for the seatbelt to lock due to the shape of the thigh parts of the harness, chest is fine. This time however I sat on and the seatbelt was quite far away. The amazing ride host managed to get it down really far to the point where it was literally millimetres away, you wouldn't understand how close ?. No one was watching all this however because I was the first to board so everyone else was busy doing their own. When we realised I couldn't ride the attendants were amazing and played along that I was too scared to ride, made the whole thing not embarrassing at all! Props to the staff there.

The next ride we went on was Stealth. I had to have a push on the harness and the seatbelt kind of locked but didn't properly, no one noticed though. At the end of the ride the seatbelt wasn't connected. This shows how pointless the seatbelts are, restraints never fail!

The next ride we went on was the Detonator, completely fine.

Then we went on the enterprise ride, I forgot the name. No harness so was completely fine.

Next we went on slammer, completely fine however there was a weight restriction of 17.5 stone however the ride attendant told us that was for insurance purposes only and that I would be fine.

Next we went on the ghost train. One of the best experiences at a theme park to date, even though there were so many problems with boarding and it breaking down.

Next we tried Collussus. I knew this one would be the worse however I tried the test seat and that managed to do up fine. As I got onto the ride however I basically had to fold myself in half to even sit down, my knees were basically at my chin and the harness was about 10cm away from shutting. The ride attendants werent as good as swarm however and were actually pretty rude - definately avoid!

We then went on the dodgems just for a laugh. They were as slow as snails but lap bad was alright.

We then went on rush. The seats are such a weird shape. My butt wasn't in the seat, it was basically on top of it but the lap bar was fine ?.

We then went on to re-ride the rides that were okay for me (basically all but swarm and collusus). And do the fright night mazes.

All fright night mazes were fine obviously however I would recommend not wasting your time on platform 15. Even after dark where the scare factor was meant to be 5, it was a load of s***. We were even at the front of the group, not a single jump, bad acting and we only ever saw 3 actors. This was a shared opinion throughout the park. All other mazes were very, very good. They have all been bumped up in scariness from previous times, even Saw Alive has changed and is now very scary! We went on cabin in the woods twice throughout the night. The first time we got very lost but then the actor pointed at a curtain which we went though, leading us to some kind of behind the scenes area and then through another curtain that lead us to the end room of the maze - weird and quite disappointed. We knew we did something wrong so the next time we did it we went a different way and it was much, much better. It lasted around 5/6 minutes, maybe more! It was extremely scary - I was deafend by screams and nearly wet myself 10 times over ?. Blair witch was also very very good, although it opened half and hour late than expected (so at 7:30) it definately deserves a higher scare factor than 2! Big top should have less of a scare factor to be honest, still very scary though. Saw alive's scare factor has been upgraded, a correct decision. Here is my scare factor opinions (I know, going of topic now) Cabin In The Woods - 5; Saw Alive - 4; Blair witch - 4; Big Top - 4; Platform 15 (before dark) - 0; Platform 15 (after dark) - 1

Thank for reading and good luck to any other plus size people heading for Thorpe Park soon! Don't worry and enjoy yourself!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi ive just read this review and I'm going to thorpe park next weekend and I'm so worried. I am on a weight loss journey but I'm not where I wanna be yet, I am female I am about 5’7/5’8 it shows on the scales that I am 17.0 and 1/2 st and I have a small chest area. I am terrified about the embarrassment next weekend, what do you think I am okay to ride? if anything at all