Thorpe Park future expansion at risk?

Vinlarr89

Feel like there is risk on the horizon for the future expansion or continued development of large scale attractions on the horizon for Thorpe park. Also think Merlin have missed a big opportunity, but may be missing something, so feel free to correct me.

Seems the old Cemex offices have been sold and purchased by a property developer that is converting them to a care home facility and assisted living complex. Hardly ideal having such a complex located next to a theme park for noise etc. really feel that this will form rejections incoming for future planning applications, especially on the Northen side of the park, island behind stealth etc.

However looking at the plans also a massive missed opportunity. Could have made a fantastic park hotel, and would have allowed future expansion on the north side of the park at a great distance from any neighbours. Just hope this doesn’t come back to bite the park.

IMG_0109.jpeg

The plans for the retirement home were announced in 2019; we had discussions about it here and here.

Adverts around the site suggested it would open in Spring 2023, but it's still looks like there's a lot of work to do with it. Next time I go to Monk's Walk I'll try and take some photos.

It's a weird position for a retirement home and I'm still slightly surprised it got the green light. Will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

The actual land itself probably never would have been used by the park for public stuff, given there would be a staff area in between it and the main park. But it could affect the park's potential investments nearer to the site.

Apologies, didn’t see those topics. Thought that something of this magnitude would have been spoken about previously. 

Was this land ever owned by Merlin? I’m guessing not, as surely the security of not having risk of planning complaints would have outweighed the revenue generated from selling a fairly small parcel of land albeit with development opportunities. 

I guess you’re right about the staff area being between, although I’m sure things could have been configured to optimise the land differently. It’s all irrelevant now of course as the area is due for redevelopment into the retirement complex. 

I suppose we will just have to watch this space on what it means for the park moving forwards, but I do sense that it will certainly make things more complex from a noise and height perspective in the future. Thorpe get that noisy RMC in quick 😂😂

I do agree that it does seem a bit short-sighted.

Thorpe seem quite lucky in that the local community nearly always support their plans, so hopefully that will continue.

I'd like to think that future planners will take in to account that the care home was built next door to an existing theme park, NOT that a theme park was built next to an existing care home...

The planners knew full well that Thorpe will continue to develop when they approved the care home, so hopefully it's all been properly thought about that common sense will prevail next time TP make an application,