Assessment Information Please

JohnnyT

Question

Good afternoon everyone, I'm James and live just outside London.I applied for a Customer services job a month ago and have now been invited to the assesment day (next week) I have read a couple of posts which have been very helpfull, but still BRICKING IT :(I would really love the opportunity to work at the park......! but this assesment day is causing me concerns. As far as I'm aware its a simleMeant/greatIntroductuons < talk about yourselfTeam exerciseIndividual test/excercisethen an interviewNow I'm hoping someone can help :) 1. Is the above about right?2. is a shirt, tie, shoes, jacket too much? I've read posts saying smart bt not a suite?3. Scary part < bring along an object, picture or photograph which demonstrates your skills as an effective team player. I'm worried my items I have in mind are 'boaring......and typical'What sort of things have you done to create a wow factor?ANY info would so so appreciated < MORE THAN YOU THINK!!!Thanks all and look forward to responces............

9 answers to this question

Hi James and welcome to the forum,I applied for a position a few years back and I would imagine not much has changed. Now I've been to a lot of interviews and this one was probably one of the most relaxed I've been to. Having some nerves is a good thing for you though as it means you will perform well at the interview, running on adrenaline etc - Too relaxed you'll either look cocky or not bothered etc.Now suits is certainly too much - You'll stand out like a sore thumb, but what I did so I still looked the part was was jeans and a shirt (you could bring a tie spare with you then you can decide if you want to wear it when you get there) And of course shoes that way you will have a Smart Casual look.Now you do have a small session one on one so they get to know you but the majority of the interview is in a group to see of course if you can work with others and the public. The small item I brought was a small ornament of a labrador which at the time showed my interest in my dog and how I'd walk around the park everyday and organise little doggy parties with the other dog walkers at the time - This showed I could work as a team but it also showed a part of me in terms of hobbies.The team work consists of a bit of role play and also I remember trying to build the biggest structure in ten mins with a certain amount of lego - You were split into 4 teams and you had to work together to get the biggest tower and there were many other smaller tasks.All in all it was actually an enjoyable day/ Interview and was quite relaxed. It's good you got the nerves but don't let it defeat you and I'm sure once you get there the nerves will start to go away plus I remember they were very god at trying to make you feel relaxed.Good luck mate I'm sure you'll do fab!

^ Not quite, the idea behind it is they like you at application stage and in order to know whether or not you have what it takes to do the job they invite you for assessment by the department unit managers. They use this assessment to gain knowledge of how you work in a team, and how you go about when given a task. They do like you say use this to find out your personality & if you can react normally towards people you have not necessarily met before.

Hi all. Many many thanks for the information.Why did I worry, panic? It was a REALLY good day and it does exactly what it says on the tin 'Bring your personality, engery and have fun' it was a great day.As for the item, I was worried, but honesly the BEST advise I would give anyone on it.......is NOT to ask anyone else, it will make you question YOUR item and you will end up taking something you think is right and does not best decribe you! Personally I think you will end up with something that has been done a million times.Think of something unique to you...........we are all unique!!