2013 Thorpe Park Season Review

pluk

The dark days of closed season are upon us once again, another season has come and gone. So how was 2013 for you? For me:

Highlights

-Ministry of Sound nights. So so so much better than I was expecting, a great all round event that showed the park at its best.

-X. I know the change was not loved by all but a big improvement for me. The laser only rides I've had were actually outstanding.

-TPM meets. Loving the generosity of the park with their time and access.

-The 'feel'of the place. I don't know why, things just felt nice this year. A nice relaxed atmosphere around the park.

-Seeing some effort go into general upkeep,

Lowlights

-The mrawS, stupid gimmick. Just put it back now, you've had your 'fun'.

-Fastrack. If they were just getting used to running it or something I'd understand, but for how many years are we going to have to put up with mismanagement of it on a massive scale that ends up with no one being happy? Sort your numbers and times out.

-Slammer, doesn't even make a nice ornament. Even I think its time might have come, and I'm a fan.

-Rising carpark charges. Unjustifiable.

Overall, I like the way the park has been heading. Leaves me optimistic for whatever is to come...

I think that they have had a great season this year!

The atmosphere has improved on park definitely this year (apart from the chav-infested Fright Nights!), and I think that they are finally getting better at operation/maintenance at the park.

Fright Nights was also very good this year as a whole, although consistency is still a bigger problem than it should be.

What I would like to see next year:

- The Swarm put back how it's meant to be - no backwards seats.

- Effects on ALL rides maintained throughout the season, so that it's rare to see an effect broken (rather than the other way round in some cases!)

- Operations improved further - one train operation only on dead/really, really quiet days.

- A revamped park entrance.

- Some of the rides cleaned up (Loggers Tunnel, Colossus Repaint etc...)

- THE ENTRANCE THEME BACK! They have that piece of music, it's a crime not to use it!

Maybe a small new attraction next year, as they have said on their website "We'll be back with MORE THRILLS in 2014."

However I think that the above changes are more important than a new attraction next year, as much as I would like to see one.

Thorpe park 2013 analysis,

Positive changes/

X revamp, such a great family dark ride now, 5 points

Greater relaxed atmosphere 2 points

Swarm backwards, more intense 1 point

Park wide events such as summer nights 5 points

MOS 5 points

Fright Nights 3 points

Improved operations 1 point

Inferno running more powerfully 1 point

Snoozebox accommodation 1 point

Fright Nights return to 10pm closings 2 points

Total 26 points

Negative changes /

Swarm backwards confuses the queues and row 6 should still be forwards -5 points

Car park now £5 -2 points

Loggers tunnel being removed -2 points

Slammer being SBNO for half the season (which if it happens again next year should maybe be removed (coming from a big fan of the ride) -2 points

Total -11 points

Overall progression in 2013, 15 points (15%)

Roll on 2014.

Highlights -

The Swarm Backwards (was alright)

TPM Exclusives & Meets (Thanks to Press Team)
Park Events (Sun Scream and Fright Nights, nice to see some big changes)

Customer Service this year was brilliant

Extended opening hours

Dissappointers -

The wasps in the summer (them f*****)
Fastrack (horrible system)

Loggers Tunnel

No changes to Rumba

They are improving and making investments, so they are doing well, but they do need to work harder and they really need to look at issues such as Fast Track selling, if they are annoying so many customers to make a quick buck, they are making money in the short term, but damaging their long term reputation as people will just remember it for mega long queues and costing a fortune as you had to spend £150 just to have a decent day due to having to buy Fast Tracks etc.

Events such as Summer nights and the onsite accommodation are good improvements to the facilities.

The highlight of a need for more families to visit is a very good thing as they do need to cater for more families. *hint* re-open CCR and 4D cinema.

If anything Thorpe was helped by the late opening and downtime of The Smiler and Chessington's disappointing year with no RMT, Rameses and poor operations/over crowding.