I couldn't find a topic anywhere for this surprisingly, so I decided to make one.

The Simpsons is a long established cartoon television show that's been around now for over 25 years and in its time has been very popular.

However today, one of the show's long running voice actors Harry Shearer has apparently decided to quit the show, following some disputes including wanting to do other work.

Some of you may not know who he is, but has voiced a big chunk of some of the show's primary & secondary characters including Mr a Burns, Smithers, Principle Skinner, Kent Brockman, Ned Flanders & Reverend love joy.

Source-BBC news

If he's gone for good that's potentially a big chunk of characters that will disappear from the show and would need a big chunk of new faces to fill in that giant gap. Could this be the beginning of the end for the Simpsons?

I think the beginning of the end of The Simpsons is a ship that has long since sailed. I don't think it will make too much difference if he goes, rather than kill off about a quarter of the characters they'll just get an impressionist in to cover the voices I'd imagine

Quite why they'd want Shearer to suddenly sign a contract preventing him from taking on other work outside of The Simpsons I do not know, I suspect there's more to this somewhere along the line. There have been pay related grumblings from the cast reported for many years.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at a few posts on Facebook, I think the end really is imminent for The Simpsons.

- Bart is finally going to be killed by Sideshow Bob in this year's Halloween episode.

- Homer and Marge are going to split up.

I dread to think what's next to be announced... :unsure:

Grandpa time travels resulting in Maggie not being born,

A fourth Simpson child?

Don't get all the rage/fear about these announcements.

-Homer and Marge have legally separated a couple of times during the shows run.  They've gotten back together.  This will be no different.

-Bob kills Bart in a Halloween specials.  Yay, finally.  It's nothing ground breaking.  Look at any TV show where one character chases the other - they eventually get caught in one episode for the humour of it all.  Also, other characters have been killed in other Halloween specials - Homer springs to mind a few times.  Nothing wrong with 'killing' a different character in this special.

These announcements are clearly there to get the show talked about in the public again (and not about what's going on behind the scenes).  And that's worked a charm.  

Personally, I still love the show.  Yes, the overall quality isn't as good as the earlier seasons, but that's almost to be expected in a show of this kind lasting for so long.  There was a really bad dip in quality around Seasons 18-21, but the past few years have been a lot better in my opinion.  Indeed, some of my favourite episodes have come from Seasons 22 and 23.  The show will go on and I can't see it ending in the next few years at least.