Theatre

Phyciodes

• 2 months later...

Last friday I saw Disney's Beauty and the Beast on stage in Bournemouths Bic Pavillion. I'm not a huge disney fan so I wasnt exacally raving about going - but it was fantastic; Special Effects were oustanding, Set was Extraordinary and it was well cast - funny and much better than the film. Definatly worth seeing - Fan of the Film or not.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Yay for bumping up such an old topic with a valid reason!Last night I saw RSC's production of Macbeth in their renovated theatre in Stratford-Upon-Avon. I had heard pretty mixed reviews and this mainly due to the witches. People were always going to get worked up about arguably the most iconic Shakespearian actors being rethought. The witches are cast as children and their 'When shall we three meet again" speech is replaced with them entering from above the stage, at first presumed dead, before screaming and twisting. If you are in the first few rows, the effect is that seem to appear out of nowhere. Also, when Macbeth questions them about his future later into the play, dozens of dolls of hung kings descend from above and witches laugh. This coupled with having only 3 stringed instruments for the entire soundtrack makes the production harrowing.Posted ImageThe new theatre design really aids the performance. It means that nearly all the audience is close to an actor at one point and you never know where they will enter from. Without ruining anymore of the experience, it is used to its full potential.The porter really stole the show, flicking between a drunk and happy-go-lucky guy to the devil himself with flashing eyes and fireworks. The only slight negative of this production was Macbeth himself but acting a role that is supposed to be both weak-minded and fierce at different times is going to be hard to get right.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdIMzdm_neM

Macbeth on thrust staging makes sense I guess. Glad you had fun Dan!So my contributions... First, my work experience for the summer!Posted ImageThe Woman In Black, at the Fortune! I love this production, it's utterly genius. The Fortune is a tiny and very intimate theatre, so with a cast of just two and a very small audience you feel very connected throughout the play. It's a really cleverly written, exciting, nerve-wracking production with oodles of atmosphere and amazing shock value. It's so surprising what a profound effect can be produced with nothing more than a stage, some lights and some smoke. A real 'who needs Hollywood' play. I can't wait to spend a week on it in July!Posted ImageAnd next, something I saw the other week!Posted ImageThe 39 Steps! This really is a fantastic adaptation of Hitchcock's film, and the book. I've seen a few versions in TV and film so I wasn't sure what to expect, but this is a pure class production. I did wonder how they could be dubbing this intense spy thriller as a comedy, but as soon as it started I was hooked and totally understood! Having a cast of four to depict a story with several dozen characters necessitated a lot of multi-rolling, which instantly brought out the comedy factor and was great to see in a mainstream West End production, where many non-naturalistic conventions are usually avoided like the plague. It was certainly the best way to handle the plot, bring out a new comedic element to the story, and engage the audience all at once. Thoroughly enjoyable.Posted ImageBoth highly recommended! Go! Now!Ps, in resuscitating this thread it might be worthwhile to remind members of the existence of the Musicals thread - please keep them separate!

• 3 weeks later...

I went to see the War Horse yesterday, was really good. The first act was amazing but after the interval I got a bit bored, especially with the coloured Nazi guy (for those who have seen it) but then the final 20 minutes were really emotional! The horse puppets were really amazing and very life like, you can see a lot of thought went into the production of it. Shame about the acting of the black Nazi.I'd give it a 8/10

• 1 month later...