2022: General Updates + Shipwreck Coast

It would appear that Chessington is installing 2 new rides in Pirate’s Cove for 2022, according to Chessington Buzz:

The planning application was submitted today, and the two rides are:
  • A Zamperla Watermania (basically a mix of a teacups and a splash battle) that features water guns around the outside and a nautical feel, with a lighthouse tower operating console. The ride is to be named Bobbing Barrels.
  • A Zamperla Rockin’ Tug, thought to be Timber Tug Boat from Thorpe Park, that is being named Trawler Trouble.
  • Some of the artwork has also spawned a rumour that Pirate’s Cove is being rethemed to more of a nautical theme as opposed to a pirate theme. That would make sense given the general aesthetic of The Blue Barnacle compared to its predecessor, in my opinion.
Isn’t this interesting! What do you guys think?

It does certainly appear as if the level of investment into Chessington is stepping up somewhat, with these new rides now and Project Amazon in 2023!

• Matt N changed the title to 2022: 2 New Rides and Possible Retheme for Pirate’s Cove

Bit weird to now have two Rocking Tug attractions in one park, but heyho. Investment in that area is good, and some small new rides won't do any harm. I worry about the queues for the Watermania thing, especially as Chessington are pretty thin on the ground with water rides.

38 minutes ago, Matt N said:
It does certainly appear as if the level of investment into Chessington is stepping up somewhat, with these new rides now and Project Amazon in 2023!

With a new Pirate Ship and a drop tower last year, investment is going in the right direction.

But if we're being truly honest, these investments follow from years of neglect and years of rethemes which had been aimed at fixing that neglect. So there's an air of 'It's about time!' that these things have happened, and I hope that this investment can continue, and the quality is of a good standard.

It was weird, I visited the park yesterday and walked right through the area these rides are going. Little did I know it would be the last time I'd walk through it, and probably the last time I'd walk through Pirates Cove.

The planning application says construction would start in March and the rides would open by June.

Who else thinks the new Water ride will a a Mack Twist And Shout,rather than a Zamperla Water Mania? TBH I think the plans look more like The Spongebob ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. This ride is a Mack Twist And Shout. Back when the ride was planned in 2016 the ride was said to be a Mack Twist And Shout. Chessington Buzz even state they “personally” think it’s a Watermania.

51 minutes ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

Who else thinks the new Water ride will a a Mack Twist And Shout,rather than a Zamperla Water Mania? TBH I think the plans look more like The Spongebob ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. This ride is a Mack Twist And Shout. Back when the ride was planned in 2016 the ride was said to be a Mack Twist And Shout. Chessington Buzz even state they “personally” think it’s a Watermania.

The 2016 ride was rumoured to be a Zamperla Watermania, wasn’t it?

Also, I think they provide essentially the same ride experience for all intents and purposes, so it wouldn’t really make much difference.

Can anyone tell me if the new Water ride,can operate as a standard Tea Cup ride in poor weather? If the answer Is yes can the speed of the ride be turned up,when the water isn’t running? I’m very hyped as Chessington are lacking a Tea Cup style attraction. In addition the Theme Park are low on the ground in regards to Water rides. The only true Water Rides are Tiger Rock and River Rafts. I say true as some may class The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure,technically this ride is a Dark ride as Water is the means of transport and not the rides primarily intention.

3 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

Can anyone tell me if the new Water ride,can operate as a standard Tea Cup ride in poor weather? If the answer Is yes can the speed of the ride be turned up,when the water isn’t running? I’m very hyped as Chessington are lacking a Tea Cup style attraction. In addition the Theme Park are low on the ground in regards to Water rides. The only true Water Rides are Tiger Rock and River Rafts. I say true as some may class The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure,technically this ride is a Dark ride as Water is the means of transport and not the rides primarily intention.

I think it can operate without the water effects, yes. While I don’t know about the speed question, I seem to remember hearing that Drayton Manor turns the water effects off on Captain’s Sea Adventure (their Zamperla Watermania) during the Christmas event.

• 4 weeks later...

The area has now been blocked off:

91_2022-03-121647084674.607577761997.jpg

Sauce is obviously Heinz

It's also been confirmed to Chessington Buzz that the name of the new area will be Shipwreck Coast. The two new rides will be called Trawler Trouble (Timber Tug Boat relocated) and Bobbing Barrels (Zamperla Watermania).

Whilst we're here, there's been some nice repaints to existing areas for 2022, as seen by TPG:

Wild Asia:

91_2022-03-121647089332.8073141308275.jp

91_2022-03-121647089392.6019178212347.jp

91_2022-03-121647089513.2983119639606.jp

91_2022-03-121647089612.4242975975108.jp

Mexicana:

91_2022-03-121647089218.7463757703801.jp

Forbidden Kingdom:

91_2022-03-121647080176.6827816646523.jp

91_2022-03-121647080176.8538358417755.jp

More images and other bits from TPG's live feed: https://live.themeparkguide.biz/?live=CWOA22

Also worth checking out Chessington Buzz's Twitter feed too: https://twitter.com/ChessingtonBuzz

• JoshC. changed the title to 2022: General Updates + Shipwreck Coast

On the whole (excluding that Gruffalo fencing you mention) the park looks the best it has done in YEARS.

I'm glad they've not used what should happen anyway as some marketing fad like the Towers Loving Care updates a few years back. This sort of stuff should JUST HAPPEN! Shame I'm still not optimistic for this to be kept well and touched up annually. so let's enjoy the freshness while we can.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone apart from myself hope the current entrance to Sea Storm In removed,prior to the opening of Shipwreck Coast.In the place of the former entrance and que line,I would like to see a richly themed entrance portal. It’s  been all but confirmed that Sea Storms entrance has been relocated to Shipwreck Coast.  I’m glad that Pirates Cove (Shipwreck Coast) is receiving this overhaul. Pirates Cove was always an under-utilised,underated and weird mish mash. I say this as Pirates Cove had loads of dead space where rides could’ve been. The main problem for me was that half of Pirates Cove was in Adventure Point. With the addition of 2 new rides and the relocation I think Shipwreck Coast will be a nice contained area. I cannot wait for the newly refurbished and rethemed Timber Tug Boat (Trawler Trouble) and Bobbing Barrels (Zamperla Watermania) to arrive. I hope Timber Tug Boat has received a radical overhaul. In Old Town at Thorpe Park the ride was really out of place and would’ve fitted in better at a travelling Fair. I’m confident the ride has been totally refurbished as Chessington are brilliant at theming their rides. Personally I think that out of all of the Merlin Parks Chessington has the best theming.