German Adventure - Planning

Guten Tag!

With a week off at the start of July myself and the wife are heading over to Germany for some riding and adventure. We were originally thinking of trying to do the whole west side from Phantasialand / Movie Park and surrounding parks down to Europa, but soon realised we'd spend the whole trip either riding, driving or sleeping and see none of Germany, which seemed a shame, so we've scaled it down a bit to the southwest corner. I've never been to Germany before (other than a days skiing a couple of years back), so this is all new to me. 

Flying out on Tuesday afternoon to Baden Baden, hiring a car, the current itinerary is...

Tuesday - Either stay in Baden, or drive to Holiday Park area, hotel in whatever area I stay (not booked)

Wednesday - Holiday Park during day, local hotel for night (not booked)

Thursday - Tripsdrill for the day, Tripsdrill wagon for the night (booked)

Friday - A bit of a look about Tripsdrill wildlife park in the morning, a couple of hours drive to Hasenhorn Rodelbahn in the mountains for the afternoon and night at a local hotel (not booked)

Sat - A day in the mountain area, a bit of hiking about plus the mountain coaster, then drive down to rust in the late afternoon to check in for three nights. Staying at Gastehaus Brigitte Duri (booked)

Sunday and Monday - Europa Park

Tuesday - Drive to the airport at Baden, maybe have a little bit of time in the town before the flight, have a little cry that it's over, and fly home.

Anyone done anything similar and can offer some advice? Current thinking/queries is...

- Looking to stay in Speyer the first two nights; it's near Holiday Park and kind of between there and Tripsdrill. Although I like the idea off staying in a slightly less practical, arse of nowhere, nunnery which I've seen (Kloster St Maria) as something a bit different!

- Might stay in Baden for the first night instead. Is it a nice place (most airport towns aren't!), and is the airport 'in' the town (ie walkable from the airport) so we could delay the car hire until the next morning?

- I'm desperate to do the mountain coaster. Anyone done that one? A bit concerned about being there on the presumably busier weekends, but there doesn't seem to be a way to book it in advance according to the website. I may be there in time to do it on the Friday if that is something I should worry about.

- I keep being told that for a first time visitor 2 days isn't enough in Europa, but we've knowingly decided we'd rather take more in of Germany at the expense of a third day there. So if I'm going to struggle to do it all, what should I miss out on park? What is less worth the time cost of doing it?

- I know I've left some of the booking a bit late (unpredictable work thing), but there appears to be plenty of cheap availability in all the areas I'm looking at, especially up the mountain with all the very many ski accommodations vying for summer business. We're not interested in slumming it with things like shared bathrooms for the sake of a few quid, but cost is always a consideration, so any recommendations would be good.

- Anyone driven around Germany in general? How do I best go about not killing myself while doing so?!

Any hints, tips, advice and experiences are very very much appreciated.

Danke!

2 days at Europa is pretty dependent on your opinion of park shows I'd say... Good day planning and efficient queues mean that you can do pretty much everything worth riding at least once in two days easy... Adding shows to the mix obviously means losing time though...

Driving in Germany is fine, they're all pretty sensible (like most of continental Europe), just expect cars to suddenly appear out of nowhere in the fast lane of the Autobahn because they're driving at 150mph...

Can't answer anything else really... Hotels are always a tricky subject and I stayed in Stuttgart last time I was in that area... I would suggest shunting Holiday Park and Tripsdrill in favour of Phannyland though... But that just complicates matters further...

Thanks for that @Benin, Phantasialand was very much in the plan but decided against as there are other parks in that area I'd like to do sometime and we'd have to miss them for time reasons and it's a long ol' way down to Eurpoa from there. Better to hit that region all at once on another trip I think, when all things Taron have calmed down a little.

• 2 weeks later...