Europa Park July 2011

I just got back from Europa Park last night. This is going to be a trip report as it will probably end up turning into a rant at my dad's dismissal of the entire park but I will be reviewing the rides, Hotel Colosseo and the park as a whole.I also want to test how well my photos come up so prepare for high res spam.Hotel ColosseoCan't think of a single fault here. Beautifully themed (the fountain shows in the centre are brilliant), 5 min walk to a hotel guest only entrance to the park, great food, friendly staff who nearly all speak German, French and English and even though we were told it was fully booked out, it never felt overcrowded.All the on-site hotels give you access to ERT before the park opens (and some rides after closing on certain days), a separate entrance which is the opposite side of the park (very close to where Blue Fire is and Mythos will be next year!) to the main entrance and offer evening tickets for the park which is good if you want to go in on the day you arrive.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Blue FireA launched coaster that has a good length, an original theme, lap bars, headchoppers, an astronomical throughput with very efficient batching and a single rider queue that actually works without holding up the batching and is both intense and smooth? So, so, so, so much better than Rita, Stealth, Rock 'N' Rollercoaster or any other launcher I have been on. The queue is very cool, winding through a misty area with jumping fountains, a museum with 360 degree screens and then finally back up outside through rock work in between the back run and the launch track.Due to it's crazy throughput, there is always 1 train launching before the one before has hit the final break run so you always have something to watch. There is also a path for non-riders which also goes through the museum and then splits off going through the centre of the ride which is very cool.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Silver StarI had heard a lot of people saying that this ride was pretty 'meh'. They must have not got a back row ride then. At the back you will barely touch your seat. The amount of airtime you can get is ridiculous. There was a front row queue but it was always coming out of its extension so I never tried it. Technically, this is a car park coaster but it works. It's sponsored by Mercedes and its queueline winds around TV screens and exhibits showcasing cars and there are counting down lights in the station (think Rita and Stealth) and a photo finish. Also, unless you queue for the front row queue, you never go outside the building before boading so don't see the ride at all.

Posted Image

Euro MirOne of the most random but also fun coasters I have been on. It consists of techno music, UV paint, strobes, astronauts, spinning, a spiralling lift hill and some really forceful helixes outside.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Euro SatThe closest comparison to this is Space Mountain inside the Epcot ball. I don't understand German well enough to understand why there was an astronaut who looked like the Terminator. Very forceful and jerky in parts especially at the back but featured a great techno track with lasers.Matterhorn Blitz

Posted Image

Best themed wild mouse I have been on. The queue winds its way around the track and log cabins filled with animatronics. The lift hill is also replaced with an elevator which has a few surprises.PoseidonStunningly themed queue. Probably the best one in the entire park. It's therefore slightly strangely designed ride in contrast. The coaster section is before the more traditional drop. I would have thought it be more dramatic to have a normal drop and then the rollercoaster section inside or at least hidden from view so that guests do not know what is coming. Oh well, still a very fun ride, especially the helix going under the queue and then into the water.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

All the photos are on FacebookI just tried to put the photos in spoilers to make it a bit more readable, however the photos no longer automatically resize. Will fix soon!

Thanks for the great TR so far Daniel! Some nice shots of the rides there too, nice to hear your opinion about Silver Star's back row, will bear that in mind when I eventually get to visit. :)Also, does anybody know why Blue Fire has so many unused support attachments; are they just for show or was it something to do with the rides construction? It's something that I have always been a bit puzzled about...

Thanks for the great TR so far Daniel! Some nice shots of the rides there too, nice to hear your opinion about Silver Star's back row, will bear that in mind when I eventually get to visit. :)Also, does anybody know why Blue Fire has so many unused support attachments; are they just for show or was it something to do with the rides construction? It's something that I have always been a bit puzzled about...

It's because they were concerned of noise, and as Silver Star had a noise barrier down the 1st drop added 4 years ago (to stop screams going into the village), so they added supports to Blue Fire in case they needed to do the same. They don't, thank god.:P

I have a photo of the ERT, beat that! I know it changes around a bit though seeing as Phill's in May were different.Posted ImageBasically did log flume, mine train a few times, Atlantica a few times and then Blue Fire for opening.All the photos are on Facebook but the quality leaves a bit to be desired http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2110007985409.125863.1101890385 Just tell me if there any you want in high res in particular.

You seem to think that the theme there is better than Euro-Mir's...

Silver Star is NOT Bon Jovi... Or very good for that matter... A good ride should be good in as many rows as possible... Just the back? Nah... Dunno how trimmed it is now though... Hopefully less than it was 3 years ago...

Great report Daniel, and I think those are some excellent pictures.Blue Fire, yep, yep and yep. Truely one of the best rides in the world, Mack with their first attempt captured everything a launch coaster should be and easily left their competitiors in their dust. On my rides I couldn't find a single fault and it turns out neither could you. Agreed with you on Silver-Star. it's a very odd rollercoaster and totally at odds with the rest of Europa Park and yet somehow completely fits in at the same time. Euro-Mir is class every step of the way, wonderful ride.I actually think Euro-Sat is better then Space Mountain (WDW) to be honest. Euro-Sat just feels far more out of control then the American counter-part and I love the funky little trains on Sat. Both are excellent rides though. I don't really like Poseidon or Matterhorn blitz really. Aside from some funky parts, the rides feel a bit to tame and painful to me. That being said Poseidon does the coaster part far better then Journey to Atlantis.Awaiting part two, can't wait. :P

It's because they were concerned of noise, and as Silver Star had a noise barrier down the 1st drop added 4 years ago (to stop screams going into the village), so they added supports to Blue Fire in case they needed to do the same. They don't, thank god.:)

Yeah that would have looked messy. Silver Star sort of gets away with it only being at the very top of the lift hill.

I'm glad you didn't bash Silver Star, it is the most awesome ride in the world purely because of it's song.

Sadly that soundtrack wasn't played too loudly. I think Blue Fire's was my favourite, though that may be due to the amount of time I spent in the station in the single rider queue.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkriWmk6-rA&list=FLSyqRh3caaLI

I actually think Euro-Sat is better then Space Mountain (WDW) to be honest. Euro-Sat just feels far more out of control then the American counter-part and I love the funky little trains on Sat. Both are excellent rides though. I don't really like Poseidon or Matterhorn blitz really. Aside from some funky parts, the rides feel a bit to tame and painful to me. That being said Poseidon does the coaster part far better then Journey to Atlantis.Awaiting part two, can't wait. :D

I think Euro Sat would beat WDW Space Mountain if the outside queue was more than just a cattlepen. The coaster experience is better and is much more disorientating. Paris Space Mountain would be my favourite if it didn't try to knock you out..The first ride on Poseidon, there were some pretty nasty jolts going up the lift hill the coaster section was quite rattley. The other rides only had minor bumps on a certain helix. Matterhorn Blitz didn't seem any worse than any other wild mouse for me. Maybe a bit faster on the turns. It went down a few times the second day I was there and didn't open on the third day so there were problems it seems.Posted Image

Silver Star is NOT Bon Jovi... Or very good for that matter... A good ride should be good in as many rows as possible... Just the back? Nah... Dunno how trimmed it is now though... Hopefully less than it was 3 years ago...

You could argue that Europa didn't want a complete all out thrill. Regarding the trims, I hardly felt them at all. All the trains flew through the MCBRThis weekend is pretty busy for me but here is a video of Blue Fire showing how quickly they batch the trains.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy0GxCB5oWs&list=UUEeULLmrlS_o

Silver Star is a good coaster within the context of Europa-Park, but it does not have much of a reputation to speak of - and so informed people tend to go on with low expectations as it is. The new magnetic brakes have improved it somewhat.ERT in July and August also includes Blue Fire.:)