When in Rome

Mark9

Day 7 – GardalandSo here it was, the final park of the trip, and one I was particularly looking forward to, both for Raptor and to see how an Italian Merlin park would look/run after Heide Park earlier in the year...After yet another diverted journey to the park we arrived just on time, and able to see this...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageYep, another opening ceremony to the park... I have no idea why we don’t seem to do this over here, as they are pretty enjoyable and make the park’s opening so much more of an event rather than just opening the tensa barriers/gates/turnstiles/whatever... Gets everyone more excited for the day and what lies ahead... God our entertainments are rubbish aren’t they?We entered the park, and naturally headed to the brand new B&M hotness...RaptorProbably my most anticipated ride of this year, Raptor certainly ticks the boxes on looks, mainly as it manages to look massive, yet actually be one of the more compact B&Ms in the world... Because of this, the ride’s plaza is full of places to watch and look at the ride, making it a great double bill for Merlin creating really old style Tussauds ride (Krake is very much the same)... Watching the various near misses and inversions is brilliant, but we couldn’t do that for too long, there was a 1 minute queue to do...1 minute later, we reached the left hand side and the front row... The station certainly looks the part, very industrial and the barbed wire queue fences really lend to the atmosphere of government research stuff... Feels a lot roomier to in comparison to Saw’s queue, but different ideals behind them make the difference here...Back to the ride, it’s so simple to sit in and dispatch, before long we were ascending the short but quick lift hill into the first drop, and it was then the ride decided to show off it’s true self...The first drop is insanely fun and good... As in the overbanked turn afterwards... And the inline after that... Indeed the entire ride completely fulfils the fun and good category perfectly, with great smoothness and flow between each element without the need for a high level of intensity... The interaction with water and theming work damn near perfectly, and the lack of pure intensity helps the ride be a big yet undemanding ride to those who aren’t keen on rides... Back row in addition also provides insane airtime on the first drop and beyond, even some slight B&M rattle as well, but it barely detracts from the ride...The positions are weird at first, but they do provide a very interesting experience, the comfy restraints (bar the vest which for some reason tightens mid-ride, however, this is only noticeable on the brake run) are brilliant, and the spray of water onto the ride is just brilliant interaction in an extremely hot country...Comparisons to Air are fair game here, because they both are good quality rides without the need to use excessive force on the riders... The re-rideability of Raptor is immense, especially with no queue, so we did it twice more and enjoyed it just as much, so damn good... 9/10Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageAfter that, we looked at the rest of the ride list, and decided for the lesser of evils...Blue TornadoThe day the lesser of evils was a Vekoma SLC is the day the world ended... However, this was run extremely efficiently with barely any stacking at all, so the queue moved very quickly... John sat this one out but I would probably say it’s one of the better SLCs I’ve been on... Certainly better than Limit...If these weren’t rough we’d probably love them... That’s what I get from them... Shame the pain ruins them...6/10Posted ImagePosted ImageAcross the pathway, was another Vekoma, this time an extended Mine Train...MammutOpening the same year as Tripsdrill’s Mammut, this was another ride which had excellent platforming going on... It helps that it’s just lap bars, but still, with 3 trains on you can’t faff about, and once again the queue moved excessively quickly...The ride itself I was fearful of due to Volante at Rainbow, however this was a rather smooth and enjoyable coaster, with some decent theming surrounding it, and whilst the 3rd lift section was kind of pointless, it didn’t detract from the ride and had the best drop on it... Solid family ride and probably the 2nd best coaster in the park...7/10Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageAnd again across the pathway (themed areas, who needs them?), we saw a rather awkward prize for a Merlin park...Posted ImageAwkward Mickey... Anyways, after that was our first water ride of the day...Jungle RapidsMerlin are fixated with snakes I’ve decided... So many Cobra heads surround the ride’s entrance and queue you’d think Nick Varney loves them... But I digress...Another nicely themed and entertaining Rapids... These were probably the most consistently good rides throughout the trip, as they all used theming, effects and splashes to a great effect, and never got us so drenched we wouldn’t enjoy it... This one is particular probably had the best consistent theming, including inside the volcano which was the focal point of the ride...Why can’t we have rapids like these?8/10Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageContinuing the water ride theme, we headed off into a secluded corner of the park, and found...Fuga de AtlantideIs it a coaster people ask, and it’s an interesting question what with the two cable lift hills and track drops, and when places like RCDB count Atlantica Supersplash, why not this?Because it’s dull is why I don’t want to count it... Petty maybe, but deal with it...First off the ride is beautifully themed and landscaped, however, whilst the two drops are fun due to just a seatbelt (a surprise on an Intamin), it’s what’s in between that counts, and well, there’s nothing in between...There’s absolutely no story or anything to look at whilst moseying through the two drops... The single animatronic is dying a horrible death and there’s no story to keep you entertained whilst doing through this well themed area... Missed a trick here this ride did... Which is a shame considering the look of it...Plus, can’t take bags in the queue, and there’s barely any lockers... Leaving them in the open? The Brit inside me disapproved greatly...5/10Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageMore walking followed, and we reached another random space themed area, home of...Space VertigoLittle baby Intamin drop tower with some really old school space theming... Was quite cool actually in a 90s sort of way... Another garden centre queueline too...It also cemented my belief that smaller drop towers often work better than bigger ones... Much more impact between start and finish as you miss out the entire terminal velocity for several seconds... Good fun...7/10Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageAfter this lunch was called as we were rather peckish, so we headed towards the English Village section of the park for some piratical munchies, but we were distracted on the way by...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageJust a random show happening outside... I think it was timed but still, it was something that they didn’t need to do or have... Chessie should start having random shows dotted around the park, next to Chips Ahoy, on the Mexicana balconies, the list could go on... More parks need to do this just because it’s a good distraction and gives areas a lot more life and atmosphere, as proven by a massive crowd appearing by the end of the show itself...

After a burger of buccaneer proportions, we headed off to start our dark ride double bill, starting with...I CorsariProbably the most hidden dark ride in existence, the entrance itself is tucked away in a dead end, hiding within the giant ship of the area... I doubt many people even realise where this ride is, let alone what it does...And so begins the most random dark ride I have ever encountered, there is apparently a story, and some really good animatronics in there, but... Just...I don’t even know...You jump from scene to scene, including traditional PotC rip-offs, to swamps and jungles, and perhaps the scariest thing ever to appear in a dark ride, before ending under the sea and then it’s over...But it’s AMAZING!Seriously amazing, no idea why, but it’s just something of sheer random quality that I loved it... Great atmosphere, great theming and just great times...9/10Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageAfter that random bout of fun, it was time for...RamsesMore down to earth theming abound, as it does what Tomb Blaster tries to, but excessively better, as it involves amazingly detailed sets, animatronics and I always like a shooting ride that has things react to you shooting them...Not gonna spoil things, but the ride really transforms into something different after the initial scenes, and the constant story updates in the televisions are a neat idea, helping the narrative evolve along with you... Add in some stylish music and the ride is set for what is a very good dark ride, probably in my top 5... No Huntik but it’s still awesome...9/10Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageNow what could be the best way to possibly follow those two epic dark rides? By going to the corner that no park ever wanted, apart from Gardaland’s original owners (thankgod we can’t blame Merlin for this)... A Vekoma looper and our first ride, a S&S Screaming Squirrel...Sequoia AdventureAWFUL AWFUL AWFUL! WHOEVER DREAMT UP THIS IDEA IS A FRIGGIN MORON!Ahem...Never have a felt such a displeasure on a ride... Even Cedar Point’s Mean Streak is better than this... Constant 3 seconds of headrush does not a good ride make... Especially with the throughput being terrible as they can only have one on the track at any time... WTF?Seriously, this is the worst ride I’ve ever been on... FACT...1/10Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageMagic Mountain (Fanta – The Ride)Following the S&S travesty to the coaster world, anything would seem better, even a Vekoma... Interestingly this also has the new Vekoma restraints, which are their attempt at being like B&M...It doesn’t work...But, it’s definitely a better attempt than before... Still rickety but at least it didn’t try to pummel my head to a pulp... Just want to know why I craved a Fanta after riding this... Only the heavens must know...5/10Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageAfter that disasterous 30 minutes, we needed something nice, so went onto the final new coaster of the day and trip...Ortobruco TourA Bigger Apple coaster... And it was like one of the rides on RCT where the builder has realised it can’t get over the hill normally, so has put lift hills everywhere so it can finish the course...It was stupid really... But certainly a better idea than a normal Big Apple...5/10Posted ImagePosted ImageAll the coasters done and the heat not leaving, we decided to go on the nearby log flume...Colorado BoatMuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Says the sponsorship on this amusing little flume ride... Again nicely themed and landscaped, with a surprising amount of wetness once more, this time from just milling about in the trough rather the drops... Random times... Still another fun ride though... 6/10Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageThat done, John split off from the group to go and watch the Raptor Magic Show, whilst the rest of us headed off for some magic of our own...Magic HouseSituated in the massive tree is yet another strange Madhouse, with yet more lifts and a strange story...However, this one is punctuated with the one, the only, PERVY WIZARD!Perhaps the greatest fail in a Madhouse build up ever, the pre-show is quite cool with the park’s mascot Prezzemolo going on about something, only for the perv to turn up and ruin our fun and make us go on the ride...So the ride has some epic music, which as per the norm builds up, with some good scenery and light changes really making it impressive... It builds up to the finale... And then...THE WORST PROJECTION OF THE PERVY WIZARD APPEARS IN THE ROOF...It’s so awful it’s funny... Never has such a good ride be let down by something so pathetic... But Magic House did it... Tiny projection onto a massive roof? IT MAKES NO SENSE!A real shame... Though with the lifts on exit it makes me wonder if they are such a good idea, as they really do ruin the mood after the finale... Maybe they just need to be done well?5/10Posted ImagePosted Image

Strangeness over, we headed back to John and photographed Raptor lots more, as well as riding it 5 more times...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageTo say this ride is photogenic is an understatement, so damn beautiful to look at and watch... After the 5th time (8 times each on both B&Ms, score), we decided that it was time to say farewell to the park and head back to the hotel for one final night... Overall, Gardaland needs more high quality coasters in there, as without Raptor it really lacks a really good ride to take over the role of star attraction... Maybe Merlin have good plans for the park, but out of the 3 we visited, it certainly felt like the weakest ride line up...Still, Raptor is definitely worth it... Just a question now to see if Swarm/X-Flight/Wild Eagle are to be as good...Posted Image

• 6 years later...

Back from the dead ooooh.

Popped over to Venice for Gardaland and Mirabilandia over the last few days. Mainly to get the B&M but also to get in a bit of culture.

Garda is a great theme park. It does suffer from Merlinism's such as effects being off or odd operations. Raptor and Oblivion ran an empty train nearly all day for some reason and only loaded them towards the end of the day. Raptor remains a great wing rider. It's definitely more unusual compared to the Swarm but has much better near miss effects such as the support on the first inversion or the destroyed platforms over the station.

IMG_7597.thumb.JPG.e642cd5bd456ee06626e869ff5813ebd.JPG

IMG_7603.thumb.JPG.29db71fcd80469648ec81912370c58ee.JPG

Oblivion the Black Hole is pretty unusual. It's a ride that would be far more effective at night as somehow entering a black hole in pure sunlight is unusual. I like this ride but I don't love it. It's my fourth dive machine and by now, I think they are the most dependable B&M ride type. Always enjoyable, aways know exactly what you are getting. I especially liked the air time in the bunny hop. Real floater air time, felt like I was out of seat for ages. It's odd that the drop is almost hidden away from the footpaths though and I'm not so sure the effects driven queueline works that well. Felt like the Smilers stage four room on acid. So yeah, I liked.

IMG_7593.thumb.JPG.d099b088f2b7e91bf77726fe315916a5.JPG

IMG_7594.thumb.JPG.dcc16c727112a1a391962a3396fd166d.JPG

(look at the joy)

Gardaland itself has a lot going for it. Great dark rides (the Pirate ride is fantastic) and the work they've done on Shaman makes the ride very rideable if you get on with Vekomas.

And then Mirabilandia. Katun is fantastic. I always wondered if it would remain so good seven years on but it really does. A properly fast, old school B&M with massive inversions, pops of air time throughout, intensity and speed which all come together to make the second best B&M in Europe. Nemesis still beats it but it's close.

IMG_7628.thumb.JPG.65859d2d25fdfe69ff568d1d456c22c5.JPG

iSpeed is excellent truth be told. A forceful and fast blitz coaster that feels relentless without ever suffering from Intamin tropes like roughness and poor reliability. It's pretty lucky for this park they just happen to have two of the best rides in Europe almost by accident.

IMG_7621.thumb.JPG.36fc959ecce025142c936495b98da808.JPG

Final big ride is Divertical. This things pretty horrendous and yet somehow it isn't terrible. It's soaking and the rollercoaster itself is mediocre but it is perfect in the Italian sun. 

IMG_7617.thumb.JPG.19008bfbf90caa1d2b030f491ae864dc.JPG

Both parks had staggered opening just to note. And so concludes this mini trip report. If you can get to these two parks do it. As well as the nice weather and the great rides, Italians are so relaxed and it makes visiting their parks very enjoyable.