Tips for travel

subculturehero

Some friends and I are planning on travelling from London to Alton Towers in June, and I was wondering whether there were any tips anyone could give in terms of the cheapest way of getting there. So far the cheapest travel plan we've been able to come up with amounted to around £30, so if anyone could top that I'd be grateful.Cheers in advance!

Travelling on public transport to Alton Towers really is a bum. What I usually do is get a Virgin Train from London Euston to Stoke-on-Trent, its an hourly service and takes about 1hr 45. From Stoke-on-Trent there is a shuttle bus provided by Alton Towers (the X65), which is £6 return however it only runs once in each direction per day. If you miss it there are local buses which can also get you to the park. I have the timetable on my other PC and I will upload it for you if you'd like it :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK - so I'm going to The Towers for my birthday and I was just wondering which day in Easter is best to go and what food places do they have in the park?

Unpredictable and look it up on the website but when I last went there was definatly a Pizza Hut amd I think there is a BK.

Ok, cheers guys. Now I just need to know which would be the best day to go...?

To be honest, every day is going to be pretty similar, but if I were you, I would go on a tuesday, wednesday or thursday. Even though it is easter, days during the week seem to be slightly less busy. Also, if you book online before you go, you can become eligible for Early Ride on selected rides. This would be a great way to get on as many rides as possible before the gates open for the "on-the-gate" ticket purchasers. This offer can apply to Rita, Oblivion and Duel to name a few. Check out the website for more details. But yes, I would strongly recommend a Wednesday if possible.

Sorry this is a bit off topic but I wonder if Thorpe will ever introduce early ride time, to pre-bookers and AP holders?

In 2003 it used to be on Inferno and ColossusIn 2004 it was moved into Lost City so depending on what rides were ready you could get on Vortex, Quantum, Zodiac and Depth Charge before the park opened.It hasn't been seen at Thorpe since.

• 1 month later...

I know from work that London Midland do not offer any combined train / entrance tickets for Alton, and neither do Virgin. I would however recommend travelling with London Midland though because the fare is half the price of a Virgin ticket, but it does take a little bit longer.

Cool, thanks for the help. Are taxis from the park to the station readily available (I know I've definitely seen taxis waiting at Staines station to go to Thorpe Park, but not sure if I've ever seen taxis waiting at TP to go back to the station - is it a similar situation for Alton)? The reason I ask about taxis is that our coach back to London leaves Stoke on Trent at 6.35 - AT closes at 5.30, so getting the bus from the park to the station, I assume, would be cutting it fine a bit? Also, do coaches from Stoke on Trent go to the same (or near to) station/stop as the buses to Alton leave from?Cheers (:

There is a taxi rank outside Stoke-on-Trent station, don't worry about not finding it, its not a very built up area - its right in front of you.The taxi driver will usually give you his card and you can give them a ring if you want a lift back in the evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi my family is going to Alton Towers next week on friday, I was just wondering whats the best way and quickest way to get there from Ealing London and roughly how long should it take?Also I know it's always hard to tell but isit busy around that time?

Well, I have no idea how to get there, but I know that from Kent it takes 4 1/2 hours on a good day (which is about 1 hour from London). So you will probably be looking around 3 - 4 hours travel time (if the traffic is light).

Hi my family is going to Alton Towers next week on friday, I was just wondering whats the best way and quickest way to get there from Ealing London and roughly how long should it take?Also I know it's always hard to tell but isit busy around that time?

If your planning on going by train then you can get a direct train to Stoke on Trent from London Euston which varies in time, quicker trains can take only 1:30 hours! Then theres a bus from there to the park which I believe takes about 30 mins or so. So very quick journey by train! Car will most probs take longer