Tips for travel

subculturehero

We were going to go by car and didn't really know the best way

Seeing as you live in Watford I can help you out quite easily there :D Get on the M1 either near Top Golf or near Bricket Wood and drive Northbound on the M1 until you get to junction 24 then take the A50 to Uttoxeter and its like 10 mins away from there ;)

Thanks James how long should that roughly take?and should we expect it too be very busy on Friday? Thanks again

I know you asked James, but that journey should take roughly 2 and a half hours. And it probably won't be too busy on Friday, seeing as the schools are back now. Saying that, June / July is the prime time for school trips.

• 3 months later...

ERT isn't really ERT but if you can get there for 9 and are able to use it, do.As your going in a couple of weeks, when schools are back it's not going to be that busy.If you were going in the summer I'd have some more tips but as it's not going to be heaving it won't make a huge difference which order you do the rides in. Even so, upon opening at 10, I'd head staright to Forbidden Valley and do Air first, then Nemesis, then head up to Ug land and Rita, you've now got the coasters which get the 3 biggest queues out the way. Oblivion may get a big que but it moves extremely quickly.-Nemesis is a MUST ride, if you do one thing that day , do Nemesis, it's running fantastically at the moment.-Take your time, take in the surroundings and theming.-Alton Towers is HUGE, probably bigger than any park you've ever been to and especially if your going for the whole day, take your time, lots of people make the mistake of rushing around for the first few hours and at Alton Towers, that can't be kept up and by the last few hours, your to knackered to do anything.- Single Rider on Spinball Whizzer is usually the way to go.- Duel never has a long que so on the way to Nemesis or Air, don't stop at it, or any other ride for that matter-Air is great at the front but best at the back, so go as far to the back as possible and save queueing ages for the front.- Nemesis, again best at the back but great at the front, although the way it's running at the moment, it's world class in any row.- If you want a quick re-ride but your girlfirend isn't in the mood to, Nemesis' single rider que moves lightning quick, as if in 4/5 per train.- Hex is a great one , not going to spoil anything if you've not been before, lets just say , neither you or your girlfriend will expect the finale.- Your a guy, therefore don't do Submission, it's the one of only few rides in the world I will tell people NOT to do. :)- Rita, depends how tall you are but the further back in the train you go, the more uncomfortable it is, as near to the front as possible.- Ripsaw, if you don't want to get wet, do the first few runs of the day ( after Nemesis and Air)- Battle Galleons, it's terrible, even in the middle of summer it only had a 10 minute que, there's a reason for it. It's just so boring and unless you want to get pounded by chavs with water guns, leave this one out.- Sharkbait Reef, the Seaife centre is a great place to have a relaxing walk round, a nice break.Not sure what else to add, will update if I think of anything else. Just do what you feel like and you'll have a great day , :DEnjoy!Hope that's helped and any more specific questions , feel free to ask me :)Edit:

I'm an Annual Pass holder and would mind an ERT. So what do I do, just turn up at the gates as normal at 9:00am, and I'll be let in?

Enter through the turnstiles like normal, and probably even general guests will be as well, but at the bottom of towers street, you are held there till 10 ( opening for the general public) but just show your annual pass to the staff guarding the chains and they'll let you through anytime between 9 and 10, you can then go to whereever you want in the park before everyone else.

Thanks for all the tips so far, especially to James6 - Very helpful tips.Cant wait to go!! - We're planning to go to the park during the week between Sept 14th - 18th,Would you say one day would be enough? My girlfriend is into mainly rollercoasters and done all of Thorpe Park and loved it, don't get her started on Disneyland Paris!! Lol.Keep the tips coming, very helpful for me and other users!!ThanksST

Thanks for all the tips so far, especially to James6 - Very helpful tips.Cant wait to go!! - We're planning to go to the park during the week between Sept 14th - 18th,Would you say one day would be enough? My girlfriend is into mainly rollercoasters and done all of Thorpe Park and loved it, don't get her started on Disneyland Paris!! Lol.Keep the tips coming, very helpful for me and other users!!ThanksST

As you are going during the week day, I would assume that you would be able to get everything done in one day.If you are the driver, then you may wish to stay overnight as it can be quite alot for some.Or you may just want another day in the park, like I did :)On my first visit...First day was really sunny and the queues were 90 mins.Next day was pelting down with rain and the maxamum queue was Air at 15 mins. The rest were 10 mins maxamum all day!

We're travelling from East Sussex (near Eastbourne) on Sunday morning. Not going straight to the park though!! Cant blame me!!We're camping at a site about 10-15 minute drive from the park :) I'm the driver but I'm so use to having long days in a theme park then driving home - luckly this time it be to the campsite!ST

We're travelling from East Sussex (near Eastbourne) on Sunday morning. Not going straight to the park though!! Cant blame me!!We're camping at a site about 10-15 minute drive from the park :) I'm the driver but I'm so use to having long days in a theme park then driving home - luckly this time it be to the campsite!ST

I am also from East Sussex.It will take about 3 hours drive to Alton Towers won't it?Lets hope traffic is on your side.Last time I went, it took me 6 hours as there was an accident on the M25 and major roadworks on the M1.I could be nice not going straight to the park, if you are the driver, so then you can have a break.(Even if it is just 15 minutes away! :D)If you are an Annual Pass Holder, on boooking online, I would definately go for ERT!Have a great day and I hope All Rides and Attractions are available for you on the day! :)

Thanks for all the tips so far, especially to James6 - Very helpful tips

No problem :) , like I said anything specific, just ask!Don't miss out on the Runaway Mine Train, it's very underrated although before it's accident it did run a lot faster.If it is surprsingly busy and your in a rush to get straight to Forbidden Valley, take the Haunted Hollow, it's basically just a shortcut through the woods with a few bits and bobs lieing around, much quicker than going all the way round through Katanga Canyon and you will definately/ should beat everyone there. If you go towards Battle Galleons but almost head straight on , thats where it is but you'll find it easily on your map.Trying to think of anything I've found out from my trips :) !Oh , if your girlfriend loves roller coasters, then on Oblivion , tell her not to pull it down really tight, not so it's unsafe ( and illegal) but just so there 's a small gap, you then float all the way down the drop and its sensational. If you do this on Air as well you sort of hover between the seat and the restraint a couple of times. :)On charlie and the Chocolate factory, I don't think you have a choice but 1 elevator is crap but one is actually really good, there practically identical in terms of the film they show and there appearance but one is a LOT LOT better in terms of the movement's it makes and is actually really fun, wheras the other one is boring and barely moves, hopefully they'll fix this soon so they both offer the same experiance. So try and go in the right hand side ( I think it's the right one) elevator when you get off the boat, it'll make sense when your there.

Good to see there's some local people on here! Lol.Thanks again for all the useful tips, I'm really excited to be going. Really interested in the hex ride, looks fun. There might be a simple answer but how do you get to the entrance of the park and is there only one entrance/exit?I say that because I've just had a look on Google Earth and the car park seems some distance from the entrance, I did not some monorail system,any information would be greatful? Fingers crossed the weather is good that week. Thanks ST