Lady GaGa

Pickles

I think it's great.... but I was expecting an extended version.She was always saying 'It will be a mini - movie' 'Walking from new york to nebraska' 'reaching a fork in the road where I have to make a hard decision'I didnt see any of that.But oh my god. This is epic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNPorX1C4_A&list=FLwaJX8KzoQJY0anNmJHZy3w&index=1

Funnily enough, the concept of the 'You & I' video was one that showed the most promise out of all her videos. Alas, it turned out, like the majority of her videos to be a disjointed affair with far too many themes and ideas squeezed into one video. Mind you, it was to be expected whatever she said about the video before it's début - "I feel kind of sorry for the 'Bad Romance' video because the 'Telephone' video is so much better" she said, days before the début of 'Telephone's 9-minute epic. That was a similarly hectic amalgamation of ideas crammed into too little time to fully explore any of them to respectable depths, and only made worse by the head-scratching Tarantino-esque dialogue in a supposed bid to merit the use of the Pussy Wagon in the video. Not to mention, 'Bad Romance', video and song, absolutely floored anything 'Telephone' tried to accomplish (which included: lesbianism, the illogicality of mass consumerism; capitalism, loyalty, sexy times, just how lovely Diet Coke is, and a Michael Jackson tribute).But in 'You & I' there's real emotion behind the song; this isn't some Britney Spears reject like 'Telephone', this is a song close to her heart, something that rises from deeper realms than her typical dance-pop extravaganzas do, but something about the video pushes out any of that emotion and leaves in it's place a dozen questionable plot holes (Why is Walking GaGa half a robot?; Why is she being "tortured"?; Wtf is with the crazy Ice Cream man?; What indeed, is the point of GaGa being a transvestite in one of the storylines and yet she has a topless male model play Luc in another?; Why do they have sex?; Why is she floating in a tub of placenta?); a typical GaGa affair with little connection between it's plethora of 'deep' themes. But there's only so much effort she can put into each of them, meaning said effort is dispersed between them all.Another thing that irks me about this video is that it's implicitly quite a cheap one. The concept of "Yuyi" - the mermaid, was originally meant for 'The Edge Of Glory's video but due to "creative differences" (hur hurr) the director walked and left GaGa to come up with a video of her, Clarence Clemons and a bit of green-screen (she still managed to stuff that up though). So why bother just dragging Yuyi up and plonking her into the next available video, especially in the sense that she's done? The "metaphor" (so many aspects of her career are deemed metaphorical that the practically Age-Old argument of "Is she for real?" could be jump-started and solved by this video alone) for "impossible love between man and mermaid" (the sex scene) supposedly links to the distance between her and Luc Carl, and yet, it's a very clumsy metaphor that would be better illustrated had she concentrated on the simpler aspect of the walking from New York to Nebraska and made a video out of her journey to play the piano in the cornfield.The scenes where she looks like she's practically being tortured may speak of Luc's defiant claims that she'd never be famous (also illustrated 'Born This Way' album track 'Heavy Metal Lover' - "I could be your girl, girl, girl but would you love me if I ruled the world?" speaks of Luc's jealousy of dating a global superstar, but that theme is also poorly orchestrated, with not enough of a link to reality that casual listeners - and even some fans - can grasp as a hope of understanding it all.And don't get me started on Laurieann Gibson. Who does she think she is putting choreography to a song like this? It's robotic and mechanical and the connotations of that suggest little or no emotion and a lovelorn existence (she contradicts herself by dressing as half a machine whilst walking down the country road). And the stint in the cornfield amounts to nothing because the dancers maker no sense of being there and GaGa as a man isn't entirely convincing (far too fidgety I feel).

Another thing that irks me about this video is that it's implicitly quite a cheap one. The concept of "Yuyi" - the mermaid, was originally meant for 'The Edge Of Glory's video but due to "creative differences" (hur hurr) the director walked and left GaGa to come up with a video of her, Clarence Clemons and a bit of green-screen (she still managed to stuff that up though). So why bother just dragging Yuyi up and plonking her into the next available video, especially in the sense that she's done? The "metaphor" (so many aspects of her career are deemed metaphorical that the practically Age-Old argument of "Is she for real?" could be jump-started and solved by this video alone) for "impossible love between man and mermaid" (the sex scene) supposedly links to the distance between her and Luc Carl, and yet, it's a very clumsy metaphor that would be better illustrated had she concentrated on the simpler aspect of the walking from New York to Nebraska and made a video out of her journey to play the piano in the cornfield.The scenes where she looks like she's practically being tortured may speak of Luc's defiant claims that she'd never be famous (also illustrated 'Born This Way' album track 'Heavy Metal Lover' - "I could be your girl, girl, girl but would you love me if I ruled the world?" speaks of Luc's jealousy of dating a global superstar, but that theme is also poorly orchestrated, with not enough of a link to reality that casual listeners - and even some fans - can grasp as a hope of understanding it all.And don't get me started on Laurieann Gibson. Who does she think she is putting choreography to a song like this? It's robotic and mechanical and the connotations of that suggest little or no emotion and a lovelorn existence (she contradicts herself by dressing as half a machine whilst walking down the country road). And the stint in the cornfield amounts to nothing because the dancers maker no sense of being there and GaGa as a man isn't entirely convincing (far too fidgety I feel).

The mermaid theme was never meant to be in the edge of glory. This is what happened (confirmed by people working with Khan):Day 1: Concept was filmedDay 2: Gaga was filmed in one of the sets (which is the footage we see in the official vid now)Day 3: Gaga wanted to put through her own ideas, but Jason Khan 'Doesn't Co-direct' so they had an argument and she walked off.whenever after: Gaga and the haus used the footage from day 2 and edited together themselves to make the video we have now.Personally I think the Choreo in You and I is great and it's different and it goes good with the song, Gaga is being made perfect by her 'lover' and torturing her to change herand she obviously is going along with it. Gaga is dressed as a man (Jo Calderone) and kisses him to say you will never have a happy relationship if you dont love yourself (and she does cause she is kissing herself).I think its showing to contrasted relationships.1 she doesn't lover herself because she is letting her lover change her to make HIM happy.2nd is she loves herself but doesn't let her Bf take advantage (she slaps his hands away when he goes to far)Really cba to write more lol

The mermaid theme was never meant to be in the edge of glory. This is what happened (confirmed by people working with Khan):Day 1: Concept was filmedDay 2: Gaga was filmed in one of the sets (which is the footage we see in the official vid now)Day 3: Gaga wanted to put through her own ideas, but Jason Khan 'Doesn't Co-direct' so they had an argument and she walked off.whenever after: Gaga and the haus used the footage from day 2 and edited together themselves to make the video we have now.Personally I think the Choreo in You and I is great and it's different and it goes good with the song, Gaga is being made perfect by her 'lover' and torturing her to change herand she obviously is going along with it. Gaga is dressed as a man (Jo Calderone) and kisses him to say you will never have a happy relationship if you dont love yourself (and she does cause she is kissing herself).I think its showing to contrasted relationships.1 she doesn't lover herself because she is letting her lover change her to make HIM happy.2nd is she loves herself but doesn't let her Bf take advantage (she slaps his hands away when he goes to far)Really cba to write more lol

I already know all of this, and don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of the music and I always keep track of goings-on in GaGaland and whilst 'You & I' isn't my ideal single choice (the single procession is/has been really rather crap this time around; 'Marry The Night' and 'Hair' should never be official singles, just throwin' that in their, too) I can appreciate it's musicianship. But I'm not one of her "little monsters" by any stretch - I'm not just going to sit around and be fed patronising drivel like 'Born This Way' (single) and lap it up as the defining equality anthem to end all equality anthems, and I'm not going to be any more impressed by the number of wigs she puts on than I would be were she sat at a piano. I would've loved this video to be what most of her little monsters would slam as "boring", but sometimes, and most definitely in GaGa's case, less is more. An ideal inspiration for this video would be Alicia Keys' video for 'Empire State Of Mind, Pt. II (Broken Down)': simplistic and stripped back; no other-worldly nonsense.I just feel the themes in this video were poorly orchestrated and would alienate potential casual viewers who don't 'get' GaGa or give her time to be fully understood and appraised. Let's face it, she's ruined the chances of appealing to a different demographic with this video; the song has massive cross-over appeal and is typical Radio 2 material, potentially widening her audience by a country mile and showing off to nay-sayers how she can properly sing with that belting voice of hers, as well as proving her musicianship and versatility as a song-writer, but when these listeners hear about the hype and scandal of mermaid sex they'll be completely alienated by it all.And I'm sorry but the dance scene is awful, and orchestrated by a woman so vile she would have you believe every bit of success GaGa achieves is down to her "magnificent", "next level" choreography. Laurieann Gibson cannot choreograph. GaGa is not a natural dancer. The dance in 'You & I' means nothing. It is not representative of any externally visible emotion nor an interpretation of emotion; a lot of it is just sleaze (3:10) and some of the moves we've seen dozens of times before (3:32). Dancing has never really worked with a ballad unless it was ABBA doing that soft-shoe sway they were always so fond of.

That's quite some edit there, Jamal, and I apologise if you felt I was stereotyping carelessly, as it was merely for the sake of the argument. Besides, generalisations like this are made when constructing an arguments as you must understand it would be virtually impossible to include every kind of variety of GaGa fan/music fan/chart fan/people who show vague interest in pop music into a concise point.But I must agree, 'Heavy Metal Lover' does have quite an ear-worm hook. I don't see it being the next single (will most probably be 'Marry The Night'), but I wouldn't say it was completely improbable as maybe the final single from the era, as a sort of fan gift because from what I see and hear, it's the fans' favourite.

That's quite some edit there, Jamal, and I apologise if you felt I was stereotyping carelessly, as it was merely for the sake of the argument. Besides, generalisations like this are made when constructing an arguments as you must understand it would be virtually impossible to include every kind of variety of GaGa fan/music fan/chart fan/people who show vague interest in pop music into a concise point.But I must agree, 'Heavy Metal Lover' does have quite an ear-worm hook. I don't see it being the next single (will most probably be 'Marry The Night'), but I wouldn't say it was completely improbable as maybe the final single from the era, as a sort of fan gift because from what I see and hear, it's the fans' favourite.

Lollol, I know, I did 't want to make an argument haha.Also alot of fans think Sheisse or Bloody mary should be next, which I think would be a stupid decision

• 3 weeks later...

Performing on children in need Nov 17th :)I hope the next single is released by then, another 'You and I' performance might push me over the edge of boredom.I think Marry the night is a good song to be sung at children and need :D .. Or a full version of hair, not the piano type, or the piano type leading into the full, like she used to do..I wish I could control her mind really - Runs to find illuminati handbook - ] :D;)

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for the Mary the Night video and I was quite shocked that You and I didn't do so well in the UK charts, just shows our poor taste in music these days I swear people buy their music when they are drunk or something, you know when you think any song is great and just want to dance to it.Anyways to get back on topic, I was interested that there was a rumoured set list I heard mentioned a while ago, had anyone heard any more about this? whether it was infact true or not, or just heard anything in general about the tour, I am eagerly anticipating purchasing tickets as the last time I was in the upper balcony and the view wasn't great I want to get in quickly and try to get good seats and sticking with the same note I am hihgly excited about the release of her Live Tour DVD, does anyone know the date for its release yet?