Health and Safety

pluk

Absolutely. But H&S can come along, identify the hazard and suggest ways of fixing it, go away and let the park make the necessary changes, and if they find it still doesn't comply on the next visit, they can again suggest ways of fixing it.

I'm sure you're aware that each morning every ride has to undergo the checks? H&S comes into this, and if the checks are all passed OK, a ride can open and operate. If not, then it's a shame for the visitors until they sort it. :)

So, you agree that like I've said H&S give them the criteria and they have to comply in what ever way they see fit. Are you saying, in any case where that happens, any closure or removal would be the fault of health and safety? That's what it comes down to. You seem to be mostly agreeing with me, so how could anything like this be considered 'because of health and safety' and not 'because of park operations'?

As for my job, you've only got my word for it whatever I put here. I don't make any secret of it and it is easy to find out fi you read some of my recent posts. I used to be quite high in a retail company where local H+S was directly my responsibility.

So, you agree that like I've said H&S give them the criteria and they have to comply in what ever way they see fit. Are you saying, in any case where that happens, any closure or removal would be the fault of health and safety? That's what it comes down to. You seem to be mostly agreeing with me, so how could anything like this be considered 'because of health and safety' and not 'because of park operations'?

In reply to what you have written, especially the embolded - no.

I shall seek to find out your job.

I'm sure you're aware that each morning every ride has to undergo the

checks? H&S comes into this, and if the checks are all passed OK, a

ride can open and operate. If not, then it's a shame for the visitors

until they sort it.

Being pedantic, it's due diligence every company should be doing daily to show they're trying to identify issues and resolve them. It's not something they have to do, and H&S doesn't get actively involved in it (though they may suggest what to check for) but it's something that'd be caught up on if they didn't have an accurate and regular record of checks taking place should an incident occur.

Bob, what do you mean?

Ricky, you're right about the falling rate. And for Stealth's fence to be fixed that quick, that's got to be a record knowing Thorpe's previous response times.

I have worked partially in H&S, not with rides, so I know I'm correct.

I'm in charge of H&S for the whole company at my work place and when I was a youth leader for 3 years was in charge of that there too - and even though I'm quite clued up on a lot on H&S, does not make me an expert! There have been many times I was certain I was right and have been wrong.

All of this is a matter of interpretation and I can see why you have come to this opinion. However from my experience and once again I'm no expert but H&S is just annoying to deal with! Writing loads of ridiculous reports and making sure common sense matters are written down so if H&S Inspectors decide to do a random inspection we have all the relevant procedures in place for them to 'tick' us off.

In regards that H&S have the power to close anything down - to some extent yes, but in regards to the issue that was being discussed it is down to the park. The park have the responsibility to make sure everything is under H&S standards and every business has a team that deals with it. They will make sure if anything looks wrong it is closed off or amended as necessary and record it down in their documents so when the 'official' inspectors come they can see that the park/business has the relevant checks in place and that they are actively making sure it is adhered to. If by whatever means the inspectors are not happy with the documentation that is presented or see flaws in the management of the business in relation to H&S then they will inspect further and delve deep into the cracks of the business and fine the company for not managing it properly and will come back and inspect them shortly afterwards - A bit like OFSTED for schools I suppose to make sure things are satisfactory.

To summarise the business/ park choose what closes and opens and do the necessary things to make things safe and its one of the many H&S governing bodies that inspect/ review the procedures of what the company/ park is doing. This may be different in other areas that I have not worked in but to just pointedly say that your wrong and I'm right is in my opinion a bit arrogant because no one in life knows fully everything! both points that have been put across have both been right at the end of the day and from what I can see, peeps are reading into posts more than what they were originally stating....

Being pedantic, it's due diligence every company should be doing daily to show they're trying to identify issues and resolve them. It's not something they have to do, and H&S doesn't get actively involved in it (though they may suggest what to check for) but it's something that'd be caught up on if they didn't have an accurate and regular record of checks taking place should an incident occur.

Of course they have to check them every morning and get them passed, they don't run the rides empty just because the feel like it!

I remember a few years back, towards the end of a season, there was a metal height pole stuck in Quantum's tree - it was still there the following March!

• 1 month later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22007307

Bogus safety bans are being used by organisations to cover up bad service or to avoid being sued, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has said.

An expert panel set by the HSE to expose health and safety myths said such bans were being used to stop legitimate activities.

The HSE said such "nonsense" overshadowed genuine health and safety.

What I was getting at really, from the horses mouth.