Diet & Exercise

AJ

Hey Y'all,

It has gotten to a stage where lately, I've got myself becoming really lazy and eating a lot of crappy food and naturally the pounds have crept up on me and literally breaking buttons :( so I thought it was time to take action and take a proper go at eating healthily and hopefully lose some weight ready for the summer season.

When I was younger I could eat as much as I liked and never had to worry about putting anything on - I was skinny as anything and walked the dog twice a day which helped I'm sure. But Adult life has taken over - convenience is the way to go, dog has gone so no longer walk as much as I did - I now drive and work in an office so it's no surprise really.

So why have I put this up here? Well I know I can fall off track and having it on record I know that's gonna keep me motivated to get to my goal plus it also means there is a place on here to talk about the food, and exercise we all enjoy and is really an essential part of our lives.

So where am I now the day before I start? Well I'm 23 at 6 foot 2 with a weight of 13 stone 12.6 pounds which gives me a BMI of 25 which literally just puts me on the overweight mark (normal is between 18.5 and 24.9) as I know BMI is not totally reliable as it doesn't take in muscle I did a body fat test. Waist is 39 inches, hips 38.8 inches - forearm 11.1 inches & wrist 7 inches this gives me 18.5% of body fat (36.1 pounds) where I should be between 12-18% if I'm not athletic (which I'm not) so I'm just in the overweight mark again.

I'm one of those people that like to sort myself out before it becomes a bigger issue down the line so I plan to lose 10% of my weight and get some exercise in there.

So have other people done anything like this?

I was always naturally very skinny when I was younger, but from about 2005 onwards, I put on a lot of weight. I couldn't tell you how much I weighed, but my waist size was just over 34" (which is very large for a small-framed guy of 5'4"). I decided to go on a strict diet in 2010 and cut out all the crap food.

These days I'm very healthy, and I feel absolutely amazing. I love running, walking, rowing...anything that keeps me in shape really. I'm very precise about my diet, too.

It's not easy to stay focused in the early stages, but you already have the right mindset and sound very committed. You can do it!

If you need any tips or advice, just shout.

Peaj, I never realised you were those sizes! I hope you manage to achieve losing some weight. Always remember quality over quantity. I'm sure you're a quality guy, you seem like it. I'll guess I'll find out when I attend my first meet.

As for the food...well I've never been one to constantly live off junk food, but the past 6 months or-so of my life have involved eating more junk food than I've ever had before. Burgers especially, I've never had so many in a 10-day period! It's something I can control and will cut out, despite my goal to only have about 2 burgers a month at the very maximum. I've also eaten more kebabs than I would've liked to since last summer, and my new year goal was to cut down on them. It's working...gradually. :rolleyes:

Eating like that hasn't affected my weight or any other stats at all though. Since mid-2009 I've been hovering between 9 and 91/2 stone, a weight that is alarmingly below the average for a guy of my age, and a weight that I'm not really happy with. I've been heavier in my life, upto about 10 stone, and the only reason I can think I've slipped so low is due to the amount of walking I do generally. Since mid-2009 the amount of walking I do has stayed the same, and I've maintained a balanced diet, so it's no wonder I've stayed the same weight. I drink every so often, not every night or weekend, and the lack of drink hasn't helped me either to put the pounds back on. I should really get on the beers more often! :ninja:

Around 2005 I did go to the gym to exercise and keep fit - that lasted about a year. But in some ways, that's the last thing I want to do, because I'll be heading in the opposite direction that I want to be!

Aww Peaj, I still say that you look fine :P But good luck with it anyway, and it's good that you want to do something now rather than later.

Never done anything like that...I don't exactly need to :lol: But after going through a bit of a crappy time in 2009, I lost a lot of weight and I think the lowest I got to was 6 stone 9!! Baring in mind I always used to be 7 stone 7, and 7st 3 is underweight on the BMI scale. So I've always been slim but yeah, it got bad. My brother has also always been skinny and at the end of 09 he really started pushing himself and calorie counting to put on weight. In around March 2010, I realised I really needed to sort myself out, in some ways a tragic event in February that year I think gave me motivation to better myself.

So I endured months of forcing myself to eat more and calorie count. It took a heck of a lot of effort and I eventually got to 7st 5 but then at around the end of the year became clinically depressed, which affected my appetite and as anyone who has truly suffered with depression will know, it also greatly affects motivation, the simplest things such as getting out of bed and getting food became huge effort.

Anyway, over 2 years later and I'm still not the weight I want to be, last time I weighed myself I was 7st 4, so borderline normal weight, if I put the effort in that I did in 09 I could do it but arrgh...I think because my weight isn't so extreme, I'm not as determined. But I really don't like how thin I am, especially when people make comments such as "You're so skinny, do you ever eat?" :rolleyes: I know I've had a lot of compliments about my figure and I'm not depressed by how thin I am, but yeah, would like to weigh more, I feel so little and bony :o

The good thing about my height is that I can put weight on and nobody notices it - so I'm lucky in that aspect as a few people say why you gonna start losing weight - you look like a built up bloke now etc.

But I am also one for making life easier on myself, before things become a problem. I sort it out first before its an issue. So I don't literally need to do this but if I don't now I certainly will need to in future if I want to maintain my healthiness. That touch wood I've been great with so far

I spent most my teenage life underweight, got to a healthy 8/8.5 stone then managed to put on a fair bit. Which at a height of roughly 5ft, you could tell. I'm now back to hovering around 8.5/9 stone. I feel happier, I want to lose a bit more but everyones like 'don't you're fine' etc but at the end of that day it's what makes you happy so I'm with ya Peaj!

Something I forgot to mention which is sort of related to diet; many thanks to James2 for his knowledge and advice on omega 3 and its skin care benefits :) Since I've been taking supplements, my skin has been looking great, so clear and smooth :D

I'm now back to hovering around 8.5/9 stone. I feel happier, I want to lose a bit more but everyones like 'don't you're fine' etc but at the end of that day it's what makes you happy so I'm with ya Peaj!

I weighed myself at home yesterday (I don't have scales at uni) and I weigh about 8.5 stone too. And we're about the same height so yaay!

Not gonna lie, I was a bit put out by it because before I came to uni I was hovering around the 8 stone mark, and I can't work out where this extra weight has come from, nor where it has gone. My mum said I don't look as if I have gained anything, I haven't gone up a dress size, I haven't grown... so I really don't know. I don't go out drinking very often because I can't afford it, and I eat better now than I did when I was at home. It's odd :P

I wouldn't mind getting back down to 8 stone, or maybe a bit less. I know my main problem is tone, and the fact I'm going to Spain in September has given me motivation to start getting into shape. At the moment I've got a lot of other things going on so it's a bit difficult to fit in time to exercise, but it's something I need to force myself to do. I bought a new bikini yesterday so I would have more motivation, and once my loan goes in later this month I'm going to get myself a sports bra and some decent trainers so I can start running :) Hopefully I'll get a job soon too, which means I'm likely going to be walking to and from work, around work, etc., and won't be sat on my butt all day with nothing to do!

Didn't even think about that if I'm honest. I'm not sure if I have, but I'm still motivated to work out more and tone up. The whole weight thing bothers me less than how toned I am - as long as I am a healthy weight and I am happy with how I look then that's cool. Was just a bit shocking to see it had gone up. If I work out and my weight increases then I'll know that that is because of an increase in muscle, it's just I haven't done much working out and I have gained weight. Sneaky muscle :P

I've given up worrying about my weight now to be honest.

When I was younger, I was borderline anorexic and underweight. I then became overweight and have stayed overweight for goodness knows how long - probably about 8-9 years now. In terms of BMI, I was probably classed as obese. These days, I'm probably simply classed as overweight according to BMI (body fat I have no idea) and weigh somewhere in the region of 13st.

Since starting uni, which led to me eating more healthily and eating less, and going on jogs more regularly, I have lost some weight, but it doesn't show really - maybe I've toned up a bit, but it doesn't seem like it. I have lost an inch or two from my waist, but it's only really something I've noticed from wearing my jeans; it doesn't physically show.

Peaj - good luck with everything! If I were you, something I'd always keep in mind is you're not unhealthy really (in my personal opinion, it's better to be a little bit overweight than a little bit underweight - if it had to be one or the other that is), so even if you don't lose as much weight as you want / tone up as much, as long as you're trying and have the intention to continue, you're all good and there's nothing to get hung up about if you don't do 'as well as you wanted'! :)

Belly fat and large abdome are very common problem now a days and jut let you know that people are not conscious towards this and all of us know that it can be a serious matter for us. Many 10 minutes exercises are available on different video hosting sites so we can download from that site and can ober come on our obesity. We just have to be regular in routine. The belly fat also makes a man irriated and it feels that man has burden on his self. So from the health purpose we should get gelp from these videos which are made by quality trainers.

Byron Quarter Holiday Apartments
8 Byron Street Byron Bay NSW 2481 Australia
‎
Phone No: +61 2 6680 9900

URL: http://byronquarter.com.au/

The Byron Quarter is quality and affordable accommodation at Byron Bay. You will love our luxury apartments and our proximity to the beach. Stay with us.

So why have I put this up here? Well I know I can fall off track and having it on record I know that's gonna keep me motivated to get to my goal .

This is a good idea! I think I'll join you on your quest if I may and become your slimming buddy?

I've always been big since my late teens but held my weight fairly steadily. Then I gave up smoking last January and in a year I creeped up to a fairly disgusting 17st 2lb. Mid Jan this year I started dieting and was pretty successful losing 1 stone in three weeks. The diet was simple - count my calories and do a sensible amount of activity. I 'm not allowed more than 1500 calories in any day and it is scarily easy to achieve, just showed me how much too much I must usually shovel in without thinking about it! For various reasons though I fell out of the habit and stopped.

Today I weighed myself, expecting to have put most of that stone back on, but was pleasantly surprised to find I hadn't. So today I restart at 16st 3lb and am back on the calorie counting. I'm not going to set myself a hard timed weight goal, but just a goal of sticking to the diet instead and that should work for itself. Overall I'd like to get to about 15 stone before this summer, I'll weigh in each Wednesday and report back here...

This is a good idea! I think I'll join you on your quest if I may and become your slimming buddy?

I'd love this - It's on record and I have someone beside me win! :D I have my weigh in on the friday night/ saturday morning so it should work well in terms of stuff happening in week for updates :D

Peaj - good luck with everything! If I were you, something I'd always keep in mind is you're not unhealthy really (in my personal opinion, it's better to be a little bit overweight than a little bit underweight - if it had to be one or the other that is), so even if you don't lose as much weight as you want / tone up as much, as long as you're trying and have the intention to continue, you're all good and there's nothing to get hung up about if you don't do 'as well as you wanted'! :)

Oh yes Josh I totally agree better to be a bit over than a bit under and if I don't reach my goal won't be glum about it as I'm a respectable weight now - but with summer coming up and me not being used to my current weight it's something I need to do personally. As they say it's what makes you happy :D

Right the first week has happened.

I've restricted myself to 1500 calories per day like Pluk is at the moment and geez did the hunger kick in sometimes but now I'm eating at a more normal level rather than devouring regularly in excess of 4000 calories per day I'm starting to feel content after a small portion.

Have to say earlier on my drive up to newcastle tonight - when I stopped at a service station everyone was having a burger king and there was me with my vietnease pork salad wrap with sweet chilli sauce - I was well Jel! The arouma of that meat - but I know that one meal at Burger King would take up most of my daily allowance :(

Anyhows the weigh in. I was hoping for the first week to lose 3 pounds and the results:

I lost 6.4 pounds this week :o properly shocked and completely pleased. I know the first 2 weeks though is when you lose the most - however it now means my BMI is now 24.2 so I'm back in the normal weight classification. However my main aim is to get to 12 stone (ish) so at 13 stone 6.2 ive got a bit to go but the 1st weeks results were very encouraging.

Over and out - Pete

now over to you petr for your midweek weigh in :)

You might of done - the first week or two is when you shift the most anyway with all the water retension leaving your body - plus I would assume your job is a lot more active than mine!

The past couple of days has been torture - the first week I was really focused and found it easy to reduce the calorie intake but the last 3 days I keep craving stuff and really fancy eating some crap right now. I haven't but I'm constantly thinking about food at the moment :(

You might of done - the first week or two is when you shift the most anyway with all the water retension leaving your body - plus I would assume your job is a lot more active than mine!

The past couple of days has been torture - the first week I was really focused and found it easy to reduce the calorie intake but the last 3 days I keep craving stuff and really fancy eating some crap right now. I haven't but I'm constantly thinking about food at the moment :(

Peaj, you're going about this all the wrong way my friend. A healthy diet will never leave you feeling washed out or hungry. Fill up on veg, fruit, lean meat and fish, and healthy fats (peanut butter, avocados, nuts, oily fish and olive oil).

Your body needs calories to actually burn fat. Give it too little, and you'll end up slowing your metabolism down and storing fat. That's definitely not what you want.

Mid week weigh in happened yesterday and I've dropped 3lb to a nice round 16st. Not spectacular but means I've broken through the 1 stone lost since my peak a couple of months back.

This week I'm back to making excuses having reasons for not sticking to it, having been out for a boozy meal for my Sisters birthday followed by a day in Chessington which included fried chicken and free doughnuts which I wasn't going to turn down. I'll stick to the diet for the rest of the week, if I manage to remain the same weight I'll take that as a result and hopefully see some actual loss the week after...

Its natural, when we will take more calories and will not consume then definitely we will gain weight.

I had been very fat because of my imbalanced diet routine but later I got consumed with morning walk and exercise.

If you can not do this on daily basis then 30 min exercise,thrice in a week must be the part of your routine so you could save yourself from obesity.

Right week 2 - it's been a hard one. I understand what you were saying jambhayla but I was on about my craving for things like cakes/ doughnuts/ takeaways just general crap really. I've been consuming enough calories to keep me going.

This week at work I've started having 3 small meals. Roughly this consists of a banana and yoghurt in morning, a salad for lunch and a couple of rivitta slices with dairy lea for an afternoon snack. Since I've had more meals my energy has really picked up in the day.

So the results. This week has slowed down a bit but last week was most likely water retention. So this week it's 13 stone 2.6 pounds which is a 3.6 pound loss bringing the bmi down to 23.7 (whoop in the 23s)

This means in 2 weeks I have lost exactly 10 pounds (yay double figures) next week if things go to plan I might enter the 12 stone areas :o