Brean Theme Park

Luke_A

• 5 weeks later...

So went last night, and did have a great time...

+ Wipeout the 24 seater version of vortex spins a bit too quickly but at least it means you get a lot of time around the top, plus the angle it goes up, and the length of the cycle is amazing (as I find vortex a little bit too short).

+ their extreme ride was closed the last time I went... At least now it goes both ways round rather than having a very repetitive ride.

+ very quiet, although can become a bad thing having to wait for other people to ride before they decide to start the ride.

- Got stuck in the brake run on astro storm for a couple of minutes

- Speed Wave is no longer there... so much for new for 2014!?

Some of the staff were friendly and others were damn right miserable!

I find they run their flat rides a bit too long... Now I can cope with spinny rides on a theme park setting but run at the length of these I literally want to be sick :(

So went last night, and did have a great time...

+ Wipeout the 24 seater version of vortex spins a bit too quickly but at least it means you get a lot of time around the top, plus the angle it goes up, and the length of the cycle is amazing (as I find vortex a little bit too short).

+ their extreme ride was closed the last time I went... At least now it goes both ways round rather than having a very repetitive ride.

+ very quiet, although can become a bad thing having to wait for other people to ride before they decide to start the ride.

I find they run their flat rides a bit too long... Now I can cope with spinny rides on a theme park setting but run at the length of these I literally want to be sick :(

the wipeout ride is more of a funfair ride and all of the funfair afterburners spin the gondolas fast :) its cause they are much easier to spin faster than vortex due to the 24 seater being much lighter. :) also I think Speed Wave has finally been taken by James Mellor and its probably heading or is in dubai as we speak!

The ride cycle slows down half way through, although the spinning remains constant and then goes back to full height again... I think they should have changed the direction of the spinning in that bit half way - can KMG's do that? I've seen a 4 arm one before stop spinning while swinging and pretty sure it did change direction.

That is a normal occurrence on Astro Storm.  It happens when the shuttle in front hasn't moved round from the offload platform.

I heard that they were selling Speed Wave but I thought it would at least stay until the end of 2014!

Agreed about the staff, they are definitely a mixed bunch there.  When I visited in May I encountered two of the worst staff members I have ever come across.

Also, I definitely agree that they leave the flats on for much too long!

• 3 months later...

"Brean's Fun City was sold from Richard and David Cadell towards the latter part of last year to Phillip Booth. It has been announced that the park has now been renamed 'Brean Theme Park' and three new rides and attractions for 2015.

New rides and attractions include Starflyer, Disko and a Circus." - FunFairs UK

I hate it when amusement parks classify themselves as theme parks reagrdless of whether it gives them more pulling power with the GP.

At least it is good to see them invest in new attractions. I have had my eye on Brean ever since they acquired Space Invaders from Blackpool.

Yes, they did a very good job of it as well, I would say that the two darkrides (Astro Storm and Terror Castle) are worthy of a theme park title, but the overall layout of the park and the number of fair rides (not a bad thing) makes it an amusement park.

Notice that it's still a free admission park though with the token or wristband options... it's now going to be £25 for the whole day instead of 2 sessions.

That's one of the most positive changes, considering that opening times are still until 9pm when they should be.  I hate the system of day and night wristbands, the best option (in my opinion) is a price reduction for wristbands after 5pm.

However, I am worried that they may lose evening trade, as most people are likely to buy a wristband in the morning meaning that, in the long run, they will have no reason to open later unless there are still enough people using tokens.

Hopefully this won't be the case, as I would hate to see Brean be yet another park that kicks out at 5/6pm at peak times.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

http://breanthemepark.co.uk/rides/simulator/

not sure if it's really news or even worth noting aha, but they now have an updated website, and no longer shows the star flyer which was new for last year, and shows a simulator and inflatable slide on the rides list which I've never seen before so presumably new for this year!

EDIT: omg they no longer have the crazy waltzers either! :o

There's a star flyer going to Lightwater this year to replace Whirlwind...

Wonder where that's coming from!  :lol:

The Waltzers were removed last year I believe which is a shame as they were always popular.  I'm not keen on what the new owner is doing to Brean to be honest, it seems to be a case of moving rides around and removing them gradually.

• 2 weeks later...

This is completely unacceptable, the park was scheduled to be fully open last weekend;

Hi all, sorry for any inconvenience, but please be advised that the park will now open on Saturday 19th March, not Sat 12th as previously advertised.

Hope to see you soon!

I'm not sure what is going on at Brean but this has never been an issue in the past (as far as I can remember).  The new owner seems to have a very slack attitude regarding the way the park operates which is a shame, as it has been a good place to visit in the past.

I've been several times before and never had a problem mid season, only once had they removed a ride and that was Xtreme towards the end of season because they were replacing it with another one for the next season, and last year the disk o coaster was delayed in being delivered, so wasn't there when I visited last April. I haven't been since, I will visit at some point this year hopefully for one of their firework days with half price wristbands for 5-10pm... no way am I paying £25 for a full day there, would get bored so quick aha!