Should I get a Thorpe Park or Merlin Annual Pass?

Emma1980

Question

Hi guys

So my Merlin Annual Pass is up for renewal next month. I found out it will cost £111.something to renew for the year.

Now, having had the pass nearly a year I've been to Thorpe about 15 times and once to Chessington.

Bit of background - I work during the week and always go to Thorpe then and take a day's holiday as I have a quite a few to use up. I have a little girl who is 2 next month and only 90cm tall and a husband that hates theme parks. This is why I go to Thorpe with a mate during the week when a) its quieter and B) my little girl is in nursery when I'm at work or taking days off.

Now I don't tend to use other London attractiions as I work in London and the thought of coming up to London with my little girl on my days off doesn't really appeal to me - also she is still too little apart from maybe London Eye and London Aquarium - to actually enjoy anything.

I am 50 mins away from Thorpe and 40 mins from Chessington. I took my little girl a couple of weeks ago with friends to Chessington and she was still too little for a lot of the rides but went on Tomb Blaster, Flying Elephants and Bubbleworks.

Now I'm telling you all this because is it worth me getting just a Thorpe Park Annual Pass rather than Merlin? My daughter I'm assuming is going to be free still for at least another year to get into places and I will just be paying full adult price for Chessington or 2 for 1. Is there enough offers to warrant not getting a Merlin Pass? I have friends with Merlin Passes who can get me in friends and famliy if need be....

What would you do? and whats the cheapest, most beneficial option for me?

Em :)

8 answers to this question

By the sounds of it you will be better off getting a Thorpe Park pass, espcially with the offer at the moment which will get you a Thorpe pass for just £53!

One thing to bare in mind is Fright Nights but then at just £5 usually, I cant see you using it that much to make it work out more than a merlin pass

http://thorpepark.com/prices/annual-passes.aspx?tabnum=2

I'm just worried that as soon as I get the Thorpe annual pass I'll then be invited to other places with my friends and their kids who have the merlin passes as my daughter gets taller like Legoland etc -

I also hate paying for parking each time it bugs me! paying nearly £60 for the amount of times I've been Thorpe with my merlin pass is a piss take especially when renewal for a premuim merlin pass is £137 only £26 more than the standard merlin pass at £111.

But £53 is much more affordable.... and £80 less than a premuim pass.

What would probably push me to get a TP annual pass is if they did a premuim one (which I see they aint) so I wouldn't have to pay for parking!

I love Fright nights and go at least 4 times when its on in October...... Does the TP annual pass not entitled you to to Fright Night for £5 like the Merlin Pass then... ?

I am plagued with the same issue...countless visits to THORPE and the occaisional Legoland/Chessington. I would ALWAYS go for the MAP as it just gives you the option. I mean you may get the opportunity to go to Alton Towers with friends in the next year...your daughter may want to go to legoland...I know my niece at the age of 2 1/2 really enjoyed legoland.

I have the same issue. now it is my GCSE year so there would be less time. I currently have a Standard Merlin Pass, Expiring next week. Now, this is what I went to using it.

Thorpe:2

Dungeons:1

London eye: 1

Legoland: 1

Madame Tussauds: 1

I got a discount for merlin from my friend who had a voucher. it was about 20 pounds cheaper than buying one normally. Premium isn't a problem, as I always get a lift from a friend, who just drops us off. So, what should I do?

Option 1: Thorpe Annual but buy it soon. not willing for the new season thing.

Option 2: renew Standard

Option 3:just buy tickets to places whenever, but it be online so its cheaper, or my friend who will have merlin to get the friends and family discount.

What I'd do, for the time being, is take advantage of Thorpe's offer where you can get a pass till the end of the season for £43.

If the past few years are to go by, in December/January, there'll be an offer on Merlin Annual Passes, which would work out cheaper than a renewal. It also leaves you with more options and more time to decide what it the best thing to do, and if an opportunity to go to Legoland or Chessington arises this year, you can probably get a decent offer somewhere making it cheaper than renewing at this stage.