Monk's Walk

Gggggggg

Question

6 answers to this question

I vaguely remember seeing a picture of RR boats down a footpath. I'm not sure if this was Monk's Walk, but it must have been the footpath at the back as that's where Rumba is. Why would they drag them some place else?

I know that it leads from Thorpe Village to the road the waterski place is on. I can imagine that you could take some great photos from the walk...especially during Infernos construction.

I'm just hoping that someone will have pics. It would be interesting to see. Unfortunately, I couldn't have taken pictures as I would've been 2 when NI was built! ;)

Monk's Walk is just a footpath that connects the town of Thorpe to Chertsey. It runs along the back of the park, essentially parallel to the old train route to the farm. It's a public walkway, so not owned by the park, and is used by people for bike rides, walking dogs (trying to sneak into the park, hence why security walk down that area), etc. The park use the pathway next to it as an access road I believe (they have a road built now which takes you over the old Treasure Island and some reclaimed land to quickly get to the Engineering building) and a couple of other things.

Somewhat surprisingly, I've never been down Monk's Walk all my life (it was only a couple of years ago I found out how to actually get there!), but some fanboys have been down during Closed Season to take pictures:

- http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/3156-samurai/page-2#entry38608

- http://www.baffles.me.uk/features/tpg/archives/projdylan/page2/index.html Scroll down to the January 2009 update at the bottom; I *think* those photos were taken from Monk's Walk.

- http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/4210-closed-season-2008-2009/ - Probably some of the best photos you'll get of views from Monk's Walk.

If you want an actual picture of what the actual pathway itself looks like, then:

2993519_749bcc60.jpg

Yep, it looks like a bog standard path! (Image from Google)

Sods law....I drove to Chertsey today to take the dog for a walk along Monks Walk and because of the floods no access to Thorpe Village.

On a side note the floods are horrendous around the park...at one point it looked as if one of the lakes was spilling onto the dual carriageway.

The flood situation is being covered well online, always worth checking before you travel at a time like this but the best thing of all to do is just avoid the whole area if you can. You can be walking down one road which is fine, turn a corner and suddenly the rest of it is waist-deep in water. The lake is pretty much level with Staines Road at the moment and you can see rubbish floating on top being lifted up onto the side of the road, but the road itself wasn't flooded as of this afternoon. Still can't get any further than the Thorpe roundabout though.