RMC

JoshC.

But really, someone needs to create a new topic for this, as this calls for a certain recent gif at the rate this topic is going :)

Darn, I really wanted to see that gif again! :DBut yeah, talk about the time RMC owned the park here. Just in general really.

^Let's think about the old Thorpe Park though...Did it have any true 'quality'?Not at all... When your biggest rides are a Log Flume and a indoor coaster that suffered budget cuts everywhere (that when younger I couldn't go on), there was certainly something badly thought out about the park... Indeed, even the layout of the park was bad as there was no pathway cutting from the old Dodgems/Golf to CC...Space Station Zero is NOT standing btw... But even when you list their biggest investments, compare them to the Tussauds (and indeed, other parks like Drayton and Blackpool), it just never had the same level of quality in comparison... I remember usually being finished at lunch-time (no change there) and only prolonging my day by spending lots of time at the farm...

Did the old Thorpe have any true 'quality'? Well, depends on what you'd call quality. No way did it have any world class quality (and, arguably, still doesn't) and didn't really have anything that would pull people in from round the UK. Yeah, X came, and that probably pulled a lot of people in, but it still isn't enough.However, when you take into consideration the company running it, I'd say they made many good decisions attraction-wise. In the end, Thorpe wasn't one of the big boys like AT, Drayton, etc. and didn't have that massive budget background. Yet, they made very good ride choices that are still favourite today. I would agree on the poor layout though.Yeah, okay, SSZ isn't standing, but still, FF is basically the same thing. The point more would be they chose a good, family ride that appeals to practically everyone. And yeah, when I went, I was probably finished by lunch (and that's what it was like till 2002/3 for me) and prolonged the day at the farm. But the thing is, that's what made the park enjoyable! There was something for everyone, family rides, kids rides and adult rides (well, Calgary) and then there's the farm as well, isolated from the park - almost like visiting two places for one. You couldn't get much better than that in my eyes...

But as it stood, there was no way thorpe park would have survived when it had Chessington up the road. Although saying that I'm sure Tidal Wave was planned by RMC with a Pirate theme, would of been interesting to see how that would have turned out..

That would be... interesting... But whether or not RMC were planning it is arguable... It that same alternative universe Tussauds' additions to Chessie and Alton would have been of the same quality since they didn't have to think about Thorpe...

Let's not compare thorpe to drayton, but what about to flamingoland or lightwater valley? The valley definitely pissed over what thorpe had, and they didn't exactly have like money..

Money almost doesn't come into it when it comes to the quality of an attraction. For instance, thorpe has had millions thrown at it and every year it opens the new biggest thing. And yet none of them have that wonderful nature of being "a ride that only Thorpe could do". That for me is so much more important then boring, generic, unthemed attrctions that are two the dozen the world over.For all of RMC's criticisms they did try very hard building expensive rides like Loggers Leap and Thunder River and trying something very ambitious with No Way out. There's no doubt that NWO no-way meets its proper potential. But you will rarely see parks in the UK attempting to do something with the little money that they have, to try and push boundaries.The way I see it is any park could have done Saw, Stealth or Colossus. Only the truely exceptional can make a Cobra, a 5th Dimension, a Loggers Leap. :)