Old Pictures

Thanks for these amazingly awesome pics Pluk. It's amazing to see how Chessington has changed in all these years how back in the early 90's how there wasn't near as much vegetation near Transylvania, the fresher looking rides which now look quite old and worn (ahem Skyway) and the shocking scale of animal closures which would surely not be allowed now.

Looking back now, the zoo has certainly improved interns of animal upkeep and experience whilst the rides haven't so much which s a shame.

Ahh so polar bear was replaced with meerkats? I was trying to work that out!

Loving the pictures, thanks! Fish and Chips being where it's always been. Love the inventfulness and changes of tastes in the past 20yrs.. ;).

Also trans sponsored by Coca Cola with Kodak safari skyway going above. I totally do not miss those advertising days!

No, it is much smaller than that even! If you look to my Mums right you will see the sealion bay pretty much as it is today. The polar enclosure is on the other side of the photo next to my sister and faced the main path into market square where the meercat/creepy crawly building is now.

I am so unobservant I didn't notice the sealion bay in the other photo :o To think that the polar bear was in an enclosure smaller that than is horrible. I remember at the time (this must have been around 1990ish) that the bear didn't look too happy and he just seemed to be pacing up and down.

I would LOVE to see construction pics of the Vampire but have been trawling the net for years trying to find some, so either I am a bit dense (which is likely) or there are some lurking about. I would also love to see more photos, if you have them - particularly the circus area or Transylvania from back in the day.

Thanks for those links M-g-g, interesting stuff I had not seen before.

I wish that Transylvania sigh still existed in some form today.

I'm sure it did until very very recently, 2 or so years ago maybe when the smoking area came in around there? A part of me thinks it may still be tucked away behind some bushes, have to have a good hunt.

Fish and Chips being where it's always been. Love the inventfulness and changes of tastes in the past 20yrs.. ;).

Also trans sponsored by Coca Cola with Kodak safari skyway going above. I totally do not miss those advertising days!

Presuming that one was taken from the Skyway I'd love to see a shot from exactly the same angle today, gonna have to try and get one next time I'm there.

With the advertising in that style, having areas 'presented by' in a fairly non invasive subtle way which does not encroach on the actual attractions, I actually don't mind it. I always remember there was a big 'in theme' hanging banner strung between the buildings on the path to RMT stating the area was presented by Coca-Cola and as a kid that gave me extraordinary brand loyalty to Coke, I thought they had given me that place! I prefer pepsi now. Same with the 5th Dimension, presented by Hinari, all my ghetto blasters for many years were Hinari thanks to that! That sort of 'sponsoring' is fine by me, it's only when we end up with Oblivanta or Impuble Leatherworks it is a problem.

So judging by the lack of any Smuggler's Cove buildings next to the Galleon, are these photos from 1990? Thanks so much for sharing them! If you have any from within Transylvania that would be quite cool!

1990 sounds about right. I'll have a look at some old orps to see if I can match the clothing and confirm it! For now for Chessington I think that is about it, I haven't come across any more. But I know there are a good few that exist that I've not found yet. I have clear memories of a photo outside bubbleworks and quite a lot around 5th dimension (as it was my favourite!) so they must exist and be somewhere. My parents plan to move in the next year or so which will involve a lot of sorting things out, fingers crossed for then. The other thing which which they should have somewhere would be early camcorder, possibly even cinefilm (ask your Mum!) which could be interesting.

The next lot to scan are mid 80's to 1995 Alton Towers...