Thorpe park as a possible concert venue?

GladiatorFanKyle

In May 2010, there was a live performance by Peter Andre in the arena, so it is something that has been done before.

I don't know how popular it was (though I do seem to remember tickets getting cheaper and cheaper the closer to the event it got, so maybe it didn't sell out?), so maybe it wasn't as popular as the park had hoped.

There was also Ride n Rave in 2012 (though I have no idea where the performances for that were? :o ), so having a concert-esque type thing at Thorpe isn't unheard of, but maybe they're not popular enough to do regularly?

I'd rather it remained a theme park than became an increasingly ambiguous and inconsistent venue. There is enough external music scattered around the park already as a result of THE NOISE and the fact that most speakers are just playing a small set of slightly outdated chart music repeatedly throughout the day.

If the concerts were actually worthwhile, it might be an entertaining idea, but Thorpe Park seems to have lost how to be entertaining...

Thorpe Park seems to have lost how to be entertaining...

I couldn't agree less. I am basing this mostly on the Ministry nights, but they show Thorpe really can entertain, it can be more than just a theme park and it can do extra things with style when they are given the resources.

If they could put the same thought and effort into some sort of concert, most likely in the arena or maybe on the beach, as they have the club it could be excellent.

I agree these things shouldn't encroach on the themes while the rides are open though, The Noise should be for the dome and only the dome. Let the ride areas live with the atmosphere they are supposed to.

Actually, that's true. To say that Thorpe Park has lost how to be entertaining is assuming that its idea of entertainment is the same as mine, which, in some respects, it isn't. Most often, I have considered these club events to be arbitrary detractors that are trivial in substance and irrelevant in practice, but maybe that was an ill-informed perspective: I'm quite glad to hear that you enjoy them, actually, as it means that they have some purpose. Personally, however, I don't find them to be particularly worthwhile or exciting - probably due to my reservations towards the way they have been implemented alongside the trashy image the park was cultivating until the end of last season. I wish the way that they entertained was more wholesome and adventurous, I suppose...

I did expect the Ministry nights to be done on the cheap and be poor quality, but I was impressed with what they did. The effort they put into transforming the dome makes it feel like it belongs there, not like the temporary set up that it is. I was also impressed with the people it attracted, agreeing that the image Thorpe seemed to want to put out of themselves as trashy I thought the people coming would reflect that, but they didn't.

I can totally understand that if clubbing isn't your thing Ministry nights would seem of little value to you, and by its nature it can't really be that 'wholesome or adventurous', but it is the way they have been done that gives me hope for what they can do entertainment wise. I think it would be fair to say a club night is one of the simpler things to pull off, compared to full blown concerts for example, but what they have done with them is far beyond the minimum they could get away with. It is a little sad that that surprised me, but a 'doing the minimum' attitude is exactly what I see throughout the Merlin parks much of the time. If they attack something on a larger scale with the same thought and detail Thorpe as a legitimate venue could grow into something really special.