Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You see, I wouldn't call Tidal Wave a 'depressing' / dark themed ride.  Yes, it's themed around destruction, but it comes across as a very light hearted theme; comical almost.  Together with the audio, whilst on the surface it seems like a 'depressing' theme, it is far from it.  And it doesn't feel particularly 'derelict' either.  Storm Surge has no theme really, so it seems like a bit of a non-point to argue that here in my eyes!

Swarm is slightly similar to Tidal Wave in some ways as well.  It's themed around destruction that is 'happening now', but has a strong sense of irony about it - a flaming fire truck, emergency services destroyed, a church (a safe place) taken over, a plane taken out of the sky now ruled by The Swarm.  Yes, it's not a particularly happy / comical theme, but I don't think it's really all that comparable to this project.

Whilst light hearted, they are still both destruction themes, something which Thorpe already has too many of.  Whilst I like the theme of The Swarm, why would you want two destroyed area themes in the same park?

Only Saw has a similar look to it in my opinion, with the abandoned warehouse, which is becoming derelict and run down.  It's the only one which feels "dull" (which is arguably the point, though I agree not the best thing for a theme park environment!).

So why would you want another ride with a similar theme in the same park?  (I'm not saying that it will do, we don't know yet, but going by the plans it looks similarly dull).

There's no written rule as to what a theme park is supposed to be. They can be fun and vibrant like Chessington or they can be dark and scary like Nemesis and Oblivion. Besides you've focused on just the dark and depressing things at Thorpe, how about the comic attitude  of Stealth, the humour of WWTP radio at Tidal Wave, the bright tropical paradise of Inferno or the pastel colours of Lost City. 

Aside from Swarm and Saw, Thorpe's a far brighter place then people give credit for. 

Bright tropical paradise of Inferno?  Maybe when it first opened, but at the moment it looks just as dull and destroyed as the rides which are supposed to!  The same applies to lost city, it's in such a state it looks dull and drab, the first things that come to mind are oil, dirt and rust.

Stealth I'll agree with, and Angry Birds Land but that's so poorly done it just makes the area look worse in my opinion.

http://www.dynamicattractions.com/products/trackless-dark-rides/

What the ****?

Nobody's going to all for this 'virtual' ride crap as they?

On the link you posted, the trackless ride looks similar to the Spiderman ride at Islands of Adventure. Those rides aren't 'virtual crap' as you so wrongly described them as. :rolleyes:

I will be so disappointed if this is for Paramount UK...but I don't think they would already be ordering rides just yet, or am I wrong?

I find it interesting that part of the building is labelled 'Station', which confirms it's a tracked ride or a coaster I guess, and not a boring simulator or something!

Ahh, nice find!

I didn't see that when I first looked at the plans. It makes me think it's definitely a SFX Coaster and themed to something British. I would really like for it to be themed to Jack The Ripper, something that focus on British History. 

I don't think the SFX Coaster would be for Paramount UK because to me, it seems a bit early to be having rides manufactured and built.

And maybe if this dark ride becomes a huge success, it will allow Thorpe and Merlin to build more dark rides (of different types) in their parks. 

A Jack the Ripper theme is a little dark for a 'family' park, isn't it? Seeming as he murdered prostitutes and all that.

Thorpe Park isn't a family park....it doesn't really give off that image when you have rollercoasters like SAW, Slammer, Fright Night Mazes and Swarm. And we learned about Jack the Ripper in school and I turned out reasonably fine. :D

Okay.

1) It's an SFX Coaster from Dynamic Attractions. 

2) Jack the Ripper is okay for a family market (look at the Dungeon)

3) You're not getting a wooden coaster.  Get over it. :)

Or

1) There's no evidence to fully suggest that

2) Jack the Ripper isn't going to draw in any crowds (sounds like a workout DVD)

3) I think we worked out that we're not getting that 6 months ago  :)