Park Theming & Effects

richy2001

I think a few of the rides at thorpe park really lack anything in the way of theming, such as the new zodiac wheel!! its been at thorpe park for 2 open seasons now, and still they have not themed it like all the other rides in the area.but hopefully with the introduction of Merlin entertainments as now the new owners or co-owners of thorpe park, they should sort the theming out! as I've heard Merlin entertainments are very big on ride theming! so by 2010, we should expect thorpe park to boast the best rides and theming in the country!!!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should they? Not saying they shouldn't, just saying thet it won't happen. Was nice to see a certain Unit Manager trying to put back old Zodiac themeing at satrt of season, pity it didn't work ok. I'll try find a photo of the attempted themeing.

but hopefully with the introduction of Merlin entertainments as now the new owners or co-owners of thorpe park, they should sort the theming out! as I've heard Merlin entertainments are very big on ride theming! so by 2010, we should expect thorpe park to boast the best rides and theming in the country!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was when they had Tussauds to compete with. Now... I would'nt be so sure.I agree though - Thorpe Park is desperately in need of an injection of personality and magic.*changes topic name slightly*

I no, but hopefully, Merlin are gunna put a big investment into thorpe park to get it so its at its full potential yet again! I&#39;m not dissin' the rides, there all brill, but da theming lets it dwn?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeh, I know where your coming from - thorpes rides are blank canvases. Good rides, but missing that spark.Welcome to the crew buddy. Edited by Cringle

like I said before, why spend money that you dont need to?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see what your getting at, but take a look at X:\NWO. Think of how much youd expect a retheme to cost. How much did it actually cost. ?4000. How much money does Merlin own? Billlions.Anyway, some of the rides do need just a tad extra magic added to them. But the best theming in 2010?!?? Theres no chance in Hell of that happening.

like I said before, why spend money that you dont need to?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They really do need to though. World travel is becoming so much easier, quicker and cheaper (I should know, my geog exam was on it). The amount of money that Thorpe and well the british themepark industry are loosing out on to places like disneyland, phantasialand, efteling and portaventura is phenominal. I know for a fact there are many people in the north who have never heard of Thorpe Park, let alone people from around the continent. Gate figures are dropping, prices have gone up, we now being charged for lockers and fastrack, and the biggest blow to it all is that you cant even get a park map included in the extortionate price you pay to get in. There are hardly any shows and the theming is practically non existant. Yeh sure thorpe park has developed majorly over the last 7 years, but after Colossus and Nemesis... =[Phantasialand on the other hand have added attractions slowly but surely - making every little detail count. Every year people flock there and their gate figures have been high ever since it opened, and they are certainly not dropping. Its so diverse; so much more than just rides, but shows, discovery and adventure. Its won awards, not for its statistics, but for its quality. An example? The chinese embassador personally commended the park for building such a monumental hotel (Ling Bao) and described it as a tribute to the chinese culture and a symbol of the strong bridge between the western and eastern worlds. I am willing to pay to go all the way over there and know that I will be getting full value for money and have a completely unique experience that NO british park can ever give me - and I know MANY people who feel the same. You can enjoy the extreme thrills and still be able to experience it with the family. Children and mezmorised by the big rides and transported away into a completely new world. Oh. and all this is cheaper than Thorpe Park.Tussauds/ Merlin/ Blackstone/ DIC are squeezing as much money as they can with their parks - budget cuts, price rises, cheap commericals and new 'benefit schemes' like bounceback. And their going nowhere fast. Places like PL - their original ideas, artistic detail, atmosphere and magic have brought them a one way ticket to glory with their planned resort trippling the land and adding more and more quality attractions, shows and ideas and its a brighter future. They are squeezing out the money - they are absorbing it. They have standards.I sound like a Thorpe Park hater. But every minute I see attractions like the Flying Fish being installed - how ever spoilt and ungrateful I sound - I become ever more bitter. Us brits deserve better. Memories from a place like Phantasialand, especially as a child, will stay with your forever. Edited by Cringle

Because: A - its got nothing to do with this thread. B - Arguments like that get on my nerves, just PM him, I doubt anyone else on here actually cares. C - Unfortunatly its my job and its in the rules.D - Important exams are stressing me out and I&#39;m in a bad mood.No more about it, please.

Constructive post for once, not whoring Thorpe up, but you have some false remarks in there:

They really do need to though. World travel is becoming so much easier, quicker and cheaper (I should know, my geog exam was on it). The amount of money that Thorpe and well the british themepark industry are loosing out on to places like disneyland, phantasialand, efteling and portaventura is phenominal. I know for a fact there are many people in the north who have never heard of Thorpe Park, let alone people from around the continent.

That's why they make ?10 per head profit. ?10+?10 [merchandise] =?20x6,000 =?24,000 a day. They aren't losing out.

Gate figures are dropping, prices have gone up, we now being charged for lockers and fastrack, and the biggest blow to it all is that you cant even get a park map included in the extortionate price you pay to get in. There are hardly any shows and the theming is practically non existant. Yeh sure thorpe park has developed majorly over the last 7 years, but after Colossus and Nemesis... =[

Easter gate figures are up on last years, and this years had rain. And it's not an amazing lot of money 50p is it? The amount of litter lowered is amazing. And considering Phantasialand, has had a B&M themed amazingly, and a Top Spin, amazingly themed, is nothing in the public's eyes, comapred to the world's first ten looping coaster, a B&M coaster [poor, but still], an amazingly thrill from a Launched Intamin coaster, Thorpe wins hands down.

Phantasialand on the other hand have added attractions slowly but surely - making every little detail count. Every year people flock there and their gate figures have been high ever since it opened, and they are certainly not dropping. Its so diverse; so much more than just rides, but shows, discovery and adventure. Its won awards, not for its statistics, but for its quality. An example? The chinese embassador personally commended the park for building such a monumental hotel (Ling Bao) and described it as a tribute to the chinese culture and a symbol of the strong bridge between the western and eastern worlds. I am willing to pay to go all the way over there and know that I will be getting full value for money and have a completely unique experience that NO british park can ever give me - and I know MANY people who feel the same. You can enjoy the extreme thrills and still be able to experience it with the family. Children and mezmorised by the big rides and transported away into a completely new world. Oh. and all this is cheaper than Thorpe Park.

Agree totally about themeing, but you cannot compare Thorpe, with no hotel, and PL with 3[?] hotels.

Tussauds/ Merlin/ Blackstone/ DIC are squeezing as much money as they can with their parks - budget cuts, price rises, cheap commericals and new 'benefit schemes' like bounceback. And their going nowhere fast. Places like PL - their original ideas, artistic detail, atmosphere and magic have brought them a one way ticket to glory with their planned resort trippling the land and adding more and more quality attractions, shows and ideas and its a brighter future. They are squeezing out the money - they are absorbing it. They have standards.

Nice one, I mean, THE MOMENT MERLIN ARRIVE THEY MUST THEME EVERY RIDE!!!111 Cut them slack, they've only been owners for a month. Think about how difficult this will be moving everythign around.

I sound like a Thorpe Park hater. But every minute I see attractions like the Flying Fish being installed - how ever spoilt and ungrateful I sound - I become ever more bitter. Us brits deserve better. Memories from a place like Phantasialand, especially as a child, will stay with your forever.

Agreed.Just needed to get that out of my system, as that 'article' was based on a lot of unfounded facts.

Easter gate figures are up on last years, and this years had rain. And it's not an amazing lot of money 50p is it? The amount of litter lowered is amazing.

Fair enough about gate figs, its not what I have heard but, yeh. 50p isnt alot - when you have an AP, huge first timer families who've payed near 200quackers to get in, only to find that their teenager, her friend and the parents each want a map - well theres another ?2. Litter is down, which is nice - could have encouraged recycling or somthing instead. (idea)

And considering Phantasialand, has had a B&M themed amazingly, and a Top Spin, amazingly themed, is nothing in the public's eyes, comapred to the world's first ten looping coaster, a B&M coaster [poor, but still], an amazingly thrill from a Launched Intamin coaster, Thorpe wins hands down.

You'd think - I know a few nonfankids who disagree after their PL visit - but the rest of britain dont really have the choice. And PL has one Hotel.

Nice one, I mean, THE MOMENT MERLIN ARRIVE THEY MUST THEME EVERY RIDE!!!111 Cut them slack, they've only been owners for a month. Think about how difficult this will be moving everythign around.

Not really the point I intended - it should have been done from the start. I'll agree more when I start seeing some results.

Fair enough about gate figs, its not what I have heard but, yeh. 50p isnt alot - when you have an AP, huge first timer families who've payed near 200quackers to get in, only to find that their teenager, her friend and the parents each want a map - well theres another ?2. Litter is down, which is nice - could have encouraged recycling or somthing instead. (idea)

Go to a racecourse, then see how much you complain. Or a football match. Or a rugby match. You pay enough for tickets. Then a programme.

You'd think - I know a few nonfankids who disagree after their PL visit - but the rest of britain dont really have the choice. And PL has one Hotel.Not really the point I intended - it should have been done from the start. I'll agree more when I start seeing some results.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But still, Thorpe has no hotels, and your still comparing it! This is extremly biased against Thorpe. But still.

To add to this argument, thorpe imo does just fine as it is, its advertised to provide a unique thrill on certain rides you wont get anywhere else round here, its never really claimed to take you into new worlds of highly detailed theming etc as its not really that kind of park and it never will be. Nothing will change with merlin.

To add to this argument

If I'm being honest, I think there's only one person in this conversation that's looking for an argument.OK, I've re-read everything about three times now, and I'm going to pick every little detail apart and then scrutinize every atom that exists within it. (Y)

you cannot compare Thorpe, with no hotel, and PL with 3[?] hotels.

Ok, this was in reply to Cringle saying that Phantasialand has been recognized for its beauty and diverssity of its representation of cultures. I do believe he was just using the hotel as an example to great themeing, and could in fact, be applied to any attraction there.

But still, Thorpe has no hotels, and your still comparing it!

Therefore, this remark is a little out of place, as Cringle merely commented on the themeing, yet he was just correcting you on the amount of hotels, as you'd questioned how many there were.Why would adding a hotel to Thorpe make it more viable for it to be compared anyway?I do find it ironic that people will try to pick fights with other people over a leisure activity that's meant to bring people together- it's actually doing the reverse of that!Anyways, I'm going to predict that some personal remarks shall be flying around this topic soon, so hold on tight all yee admins.Let's keep it clean on here please?