Park Theming & Effects

richy2001

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, firstly. We notice theming more then the so called 'average' visitor to the park, they come for the rides basically. However, as much as the theming would make it more magical, thorpe dont need to invest in it if people are already satisfied with the state of the park do they?We only notice & care more because we tend to go a lot more.

Chaz is totaly right, people go to a place like thorpe for the rides and nothing more, and at the end of the day if a ride such as stealth was amazingly themed or not, it wouldnt make a blind bit of difference, sure people may notice bits and bobs but when telling there friends about the place, they will be describing the awsome ride not the scenery around it. Sure rides like loggers, tidal need theming to be good and they have it.

Plus, if you only go once or twice a year, you wont really notice much but the rides. You'll think the rides are fantastic & tell your friends. However I do totally 100% understand that it makes the day magical and whatever, but if people are happy, why waste or invest money in something your not going to get anything out of?

I have to disagree. When people are at a park they don't have to notice. Its all about the subconsious. We accept the world around us because of our 5 senses; Sight, Smell, Touch, Taste and Hearing. Sure you know your going on a rollercoaster in Thorpe Park, but when all your senses are being told you are somewhere else, your brain on a subconsious level begins to believe it. This is how fright nights mazes work. The actors arn't going to kill or harm you - thats a rediculous thought. But yet we are scared wit less.This makes the experience far more real and magical - especially when you can involve people who don't even want to ride the ride. There is a thing about theming. Rides are either good or bad. You hear it all the time from both enthusiasts and non enthusiasts. However. Themeing - whether the ride is bad or good, or if there is no ride at all - it can make it amazing. (ie. Spookshlot (sp?) at efteling - is a non ride attraction and is instead a animatronics show)I have been to phantasialand once a year so far - which is the same as an avarage family might go to thorpe. I and my friends, DO notice the themeing. It DEFINATLY makes a difference and it makes EVERY visit special, finding new details, shops, nooks and crannys. Disney has proven it, Phantasialand and such have prooven it. Alton Towers has prooven it with attractions like Nemesis. I would just like to say, I got my brosures though from Phantasialand today. I was inspired, despite being there. I want to explore more. Experience the fear, excitement and magic more. The themeing involves all the family and its truly amazing. One last point. You say that people wont be talking about the themeing but instead the ride itself. Well, despite that not necessarily being true, if you mix an amazing ride with themeing - sounds like a recepie for truely amazing rides.

Alton Towers has prooven it with attractions like Nemesis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeahh I cant remember where I heard this from... but I think it had something to do with nemesis. It went "Every rollercoaster tells a story"Now how can you tell a story without any theming?I agree with cringle, you have to have theming! Even if its not that much, Say Colossus and Nemesis Inferno. Not much going on there... But its enough to make you look and get a feel of what the rollercoaster is about before you ride it, in a way "Letting yourself know what your in for".I mean take RCT3 *I know its not really in topic* You can build an amazing coaster, with an amazing structure of inversions and what not, but that ride is nothing without any sort of theming or story and it makes it boring.I think Air - alton towers *I know alot of people will disagree* is a prime example of this. It does nothing to make you feel like your flying.. apart from the position because I dont think any theming has backed it up!But thats just my opinion.

things like stealth are seen as amazing regardless.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But on the other hand marc your right. Stealth didnt really need much because of what it is! Theming wouldnt really have made a difference to Peoples views.You either look at it and go "WOW that looks fast and high, a great adrenaline pumping ride" Or "NOOO WAYY am I ever going on that thing". Which I guess is the case with some rides?But the little speedway theming, I think it just gave it that extra kick :)

I never ment theming dont make a difference because of course it does, but to 99% of the visitors to thorpe, things like stealth are seen as amazing regardless.

Hes right. But think how celebrated Stealth would be if it was actually themed properly instead of hap-hazardedly.

• 8 months later...

Do you think that Thorpe is neglected though.The only ride that seems to get re themed all the time is X:\NWO which I think is the problem, they look at bits that seem old and then update them so they don't have to get rid of it. Also, looking into the introduction of Stealth, ok they had to think of a way to bring it into the area, but they just stole the idea from AT with rita. It seems like the theme started at the end and that I think spoils it. Thorpe could have done so much more and still can..Personally I think that Merlin need a major think tank to improve the park. Amity Cove I believe is one of the few areas of the park with a proper theme. The rangers seem to have disappeared, maybe bringing in new mascots for the park can help in this area. Also, some of the other areas of the park look out of place. I think Canada Creek (and the introduction of the new ride in 2009) could be the most profiting in the next year, with a dramatic retheme possibly. The theming in Lost City and Calypso Quay seem to be there, but need some updating. Possibly making Nemesis Inferno have more of a BURN to it, scorches in the houses, rather than little bits. They have done it with X in magic Mountain this year. Maybe it's time for Thorpe Park to think not of building new rides with themes, but to look at the old and give them a greater force into the area they were built.If Merlin asked for new theme area designers, I'll be first in the queue. :P

Also, looking into the introduction of Stealth, ok they had to think of a way to bring it into the area, but they just stole the idea from AT with rita. It seems like the theme started at the end and that I think spoils it. Thorpe could have done so much more and still can..

Just to correct you there - Rita was copied from Stealth idea. Took thorpe a few years to plan for stealth, and halfway through rita took most of the design stages and did it in a few months.

• 1 year later...

Yes Thorpe do need to retheme some of their rides. Some rides could do with a repaint aswell. But it does cost a lot of money for a repaint. Thorpe also need to sort out their entrance sign. It still says Tussauds. Also correct me if I'm wrong but don't the pods on Zodiac say Tuassauds aswell?

A tad harsh don't you think? Yes, some parts do still say Tussauds, and last time I looked, the x:\ cars still had the old logo, but retheming would take a long time, and as the season has already started, I doubt it will be anytime soon. This isn't a new discussion I'm afraid...