Random

Phill

Dunno wether Peter is being sarcastic, but I have absolutely no reason to change my OS or PC. It requires me repurchasing most of my games, and a whole new Apple Mac, which is overpriced, for an OS that is just stupid imo. XP is great, (I know Vista is s**te, but..) and every program I have works fine on it.

for an OS that is just stupid imo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow what a well educated and valid argument Seb.You stick to your virus riddled PC which is crippled upon start up as your virus software boots into action. I don't care what you use, I use a Mac, I don't play games, If I did I just restart and boot into windows. Mac is for me, it might not be for you, thats cool, but don't call something stupid when you have never used it for more than three seconds.Vista look and acts horrific, and I have had the 'pleasure' of using it. You forget I have used Windows for 5 years before switching, 2000 and XP, and I can honestly say I am never going back. Everything is intuitive on the Mac, its so well designed and thought-out, the detail is stunning. Really, don't slag something of you havn't used.And base level what? Macs start at £399

Ive used pc all my life, until now. & ive never experienced anything like this before.Everything, just.. works?I think a mac is worth its price tag. regardless.edit; oh, & vista has to be the biggest rip of a mac system ive ever seen. they obviously have to go by mac OS to discover what people really want out of a computer.

I'd be interested to hear why OS X is 'stupid' Seb. Re: The MacBook Air being 'overhyped'; it's called marketing. The fact that we are talking about it now means that the marketing has been a success.As for build quality, I dunno what planet you lot are on, but every Apple product I've ever owned has been top-notch. You can't say that an all-alluminium device is a bad idea! All my iPods and my iPhone are gorgeously made.

My experience so far -2004 Family Pc - Had to take it backwards and forward to PC world, had to buy about six different packages including virus protection and spyware - which then still didnt do its job as we had to go back yet again (we should not PC world was about 9 miles away, 18 there and back) to get some fix. Ok its pretty old now but its the largest pile of cack ive ever seen. Doesnt do its job propperly, constantly problems with printers and scanners, internet going down because it couldnt hack the router.2005 - LaptopBought my own laptop, again from the word go problems. The wifi didnt work, got that fixed, and then it wouldnt network propperly - by a stroke of luck I got the printer networked but never got file sharing going. Agin I must have gone backwards and forwards about 10 times to get things sorted, PC world was the only helpline I knew of for windows were about as helpful as a skinned sheep doing a river dance in a puddle of calpol. Had to get a bluetooth dongle, and within a year it started making noises like a 19thcentury locomotaive - pretty much ran on coal.Mac - only problem so far is the fact my greasy finger show up on the black surface, but even that was covered with a handy cloth. Its so compatible, files were transfered easily, handy features like spaces, spotlight and things like garageband, imovie, bluetooth, dictionary, dashboard and stuff all included. And I got iwork thrown in with it so I didnt have to pay for that. As for virus protection - don't need it. oh and I got a free printer/scanner.So all in all, ok mac was just over a grand, but in terms of software, hardware, petrol and sanity - much more cost effective. And the speed of it is a dream. I&#39;m not saying mac don't have its faults, but by god its significantly minimal compared to the stress of my old system.EDIT: and I guess its like most things really, I&#39;m talking in terms of the new macbook air, its got its own market - just because it doesnt apply to us, doesnt mean its pointless, businessmen, people on the go, backpackers who probably don't need a hefty mass in their luggage it will be a godsend. And in the end of the day its just apple being inovative, everyone wants smaller and thinner and faster, eventually macbook air will be the normal size.

Edited by Cringle

Wow what a well educated and valid argument Seb.You stick to your virus riddled PC which is crippled upon start up as your virus software boots into action. I don't care what you use, I use a Mac, I don't play games, If I did I just restart and boot into windows. Mac is for me, it might not be for you, thats cool, but don't call something stupid when you have never used it for more than three seconds.Vista look and acts horrific, and I have had the 'pleasure' of using it. You forget I have used Windows for 5 years before switching, 2000 and XP, and I can honestly say I am never going back. Everything is intuitive on the Mac, its so well designed and thought-out, the detail is stunning. Really, don't slag something of you havn't used.And base level what? Macs start at £399

Id like to point out I&#39;m running vista, its the fastest thing ive ever used in my life, and I&#39;m not sure what your referring to but my pc has never been "virus riddled" or ""crippled upon start up"

And using Mac OSX in Apple Store for about an hour just made me want to punch it. You go to look for the start bar...but no, it's not there. You have to go through the stupid thing at the bottom which is even more facking annoying when it pops up when your mouse is at the bottom of a window. I can get a high level spec PC (750gb space, 2/3GB Ram + 2 Core Duos, 19" screen) for the price of an Air.I have no need to move OS's or computers.. So why should I? I hate Vista, but I would rather use it than pay a silly amount of money for something that would require me to change a lot of the media I use on my PC.</rant>

So your comparing an iPod with just under 32mb of RAM to a full blown OSX operating system? Right.I have used Vista, numerous times nows, my friends, some at school, and I downloaded it to try just for s**ts and giggles. My friends place we had to wait ages before it had finished loading everything up, virus and maleware software. School programs would hang. And for my self, the response time was terrible, I had to autohrize everything I did, I couldn't use AREO cos my computer doesn't have 1000GB of RAM. If I turned off the authorization alerts, I'm completely defenseless. So it's either get pestered with authorization, or pestered with Viruses. What a choice. Your PC isn't virus riddled because you have had to instal software to protect you, you have to authorize your every move. Mac, I don't have to do any of that. And I freak'in hate it when people say "ITS BECAUSE IT HAS SMALL MARKET SHARE" oh yeah really? Guess what, it isnt. Numerous times now people have tried, and the most they have come up with is something that causes VLC (a 3rd party program, not made by apple) to open Safari. Wow. Mac OSX has rock solid security, not because it has a small market share.

And using Mac OSX in Apple Store for about an hour just made me want to punch it. You go to look for the start bar...but no, it's not there. You have to go through the stupid thing at the bottom which is even more facking annoying when it pops up when your mouse is at the bottom of a window. I can get a high level spec PC (750gb space, 2/3GB Ram + 2 Core Duos, 19" screen) for the price of an Air.I have no need to move OS's or computers.. So why should I? I hate Vista, but I would rather use it than pay a silly amount of money for something that would require me to change a lot of the media I use on my PC.</rant>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ahah, :DI see where your coming from, some people just.. dont like the mac layout? I on the other hand think its the best thing since sliced bread. Its like, I hate windows' layout, I mean, search through folders? pssh, finder!

Phill, that's only because hackers can't be arsed to code viruses and malware for Mac's; when people start to use them more, and they gain more of a market share, then viruses will start to be made for Mac's! I could say 'OMFG LINUX HAS NO VIRUSES', and I would be correct; this is because the proportion of Linux users to PC users is so incredibly small, no0one can be bothered to write Viruses for Linux OS.

So because it isn't like Windows that annoyed you? Wow. Hmm, so I could open a program by going to Start > All Programs > Developer Name > Program. Or I could hit Space Bar and type the first letter of that program and hit return for it to open. Or I could put my used apps at the bottom in a dock, so I have one click access. Or I could have a stack, two click acess. Or I could just open my apps folder.Guess which one isn't the Mac way?

Phill, that's only because hackers can't be arsed to code viruses and malware for Mac's; when people start to use them more, and they gain more of a market share, then viruses will start to be made for Mac's! I could say 'OMFG LINUX HAS NO VIRUSES', and I would be correct; this is because the proportion of Linux users to PC users is so incredibly small, no0one can be bothered to write Viruses for Linux OS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And I freak'in hate it when people say "ITS BECAUSE IT HAS SMALL MARKET SHARE" oh yeah really? Guess what, it isnt. Numerous times now people have tried, and the most they have come up with is something that causes VLC (a 3rd party program, not made by apple) to open Safari. Wow. Mac OSX has rock solid security, not because it has a small market share.

Did you read anything I just bloody said?There was a whole a group of hackers, trying to break into OS X. Apple is even known to PAY PEOPLE TO HACK OS X to find flaws. Imagine if a virus got on on to Mac OS X, think of how famous it would be 'The first Mac virus', who wouldn't want that fame and recognition? People try, people fail.

Wow what a wide spread worm. If you had done your research properly, you would find the user has to download the file, un-package it, enter his/her password and then instal it. Macs since Leopard come with auto opening off. Even then you have to enter your damn password, and I don't think anyone with a Mac is stupid enough to instal something called "INSTALL" and having no idea where it came from. OH LOOK A DMG FILE BETTER INSTALL IT. DOH.Tell me when there is a real worm like windows, that does it all in the background, without you even noticing or any user interception.

"Then people start to use them more, and they gain more of a market share, then viruses will start to be made for Mac's!"If it was so easy to create a virus for a mac, someone would have done it by now. What does size matter to viruses anyway? Everything is so simple on a mac, its made for people who dont need to be asked "Are you sure you wish to close?" "Closing this will end the program!" "Sure?"If a mac dosent suit you, fine. But dont go about saying their terrible machines. Far from it. You simply cant involve market share into this argument I'm afraid. Just because the majority of people dont own a mac, dosent mean to say its not worse then a PC. Infact, far from it. Let me put it this way; how many people do you know whom own a ferrari? hm, little I suspect. The mac is the ferrari of the computer industry. Not many people own one, but it dosent mean to say its terrible.

I'm voicing my opinion, and I am perfectly allowed to do, especially as I have justified fully why I don't like them (or Vista), so yes, I can actually do that Charlie. I couldn't give a flying fish whether of not you 'die hard Mac fanboys' accept what I say or not, it's my opinion.

What was the first thing I said Seb?

Mac is for me, it might not be for you, thats cool

And what did Charlie say

If a mac dosent suit you, fine. But dont go about saying their terrible machines. Far from it.

Voice your opinion all you want, but dont throw your toys out the pram when we prove you otherwise.

Its as if my ipod knew I was talking about it! In true Apple/Ipod style its now f**ked, again, third time this week. Playing it in my car.. its stops.. now its telling me its ok to disconect from my car.. but my cars outside. Piece of s**t.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My iPod has no problems. Alex's iPod has no problems. My friends iPods have no problems. I suggest you call Apple and have it replaced rather than moan on a forum when we're not even talking about it anymore.