Random

Phill

Yeh its a shame they havent included it - but maybe its the the begining of the death of the CD?It happened a few years back with the floppy disk and I know many people were disapointed that many new computers didnt have one - There was sort of an over lapping period and now Floppy disks arent really used -<---- Floppy Disk ---->........................<---- CD/ DVD --->.............................................<--- Memory Sticks? --->So maybe its the same with the CD, it will be replaced by external memory (memory sticks) and a global internet. We all want smaller and thinner - I bet in years to come you will be able to have your 50 best movies all on a memory stick.

Oh yeah defiantly, I don't think the CD has long left at all. I mean if you have seen the keynote, Steve says why they haven't included it, because we just wont use them that much. Movies can now be downloaded, we dont burn discs for car, cos we have iPod connectivity, we upload to share our photos, movies, etc. My thoughts on computing in the years to come is that everything will synced and available from everywhere. So say I log on at school, it will be just as if I had logged on at home, sort of thing. Least that's what I think.And Peter, when you say the MacBook air lets people down people, who? It's a completely different market they have entered, the Sub NoteBook market. For travelers and road whores its perfect, they dont want to lug around a fat ass laptop. Everyone is bitching about the fact it doesn't have 500 hundred ports for their pritner, scanners and vibrators. It's meant for on the go, not as your main computer. And I can bet we'll see apple release a dock for this, slide into the side some kind of screen, and like that you have a full blown computer. Another thing people are let down by is the price, for what your essentially getting. Any idea of the engineering that went into this thing? They had to ask Intel to shrink down their Core DUO chips to a size of a penny. Not to mention the mother board and hard drive, heck I bet the Solid State memory is half of that cost. So to conclude, they have their MacBook line for average joe like me and you, Pro line for photoshop / power hungry users, and finally their new Air line for road whore who want ultra portability and wireless. Makes sense? And while we're on the subject of things that wont be around for long, I think the mouse will be next to go.

Saying the CD is over is absolute crap... Do you still buy most music on Memory Stick? Ohnoes, you don't. Maybe when they sell music on memory sticks, the CD will be dead, but atm it's miles off being dead. Just becuase one company didn't use it, doesn't mean it's dead, does it?

Small share of the market? Are you mad? There were more downloads of songs then physical CD sells of songs last year. Why do you think downloads are included in the charts? The CD is dead. Taking its place will be Blu Ray, give it a few years after that and then I bet my money that everything will be done online. It makes economical as well as practical sense.

The only thing with the CD vs. Digital is that people like to have a physical copy of things they have paid good money for, something tangeable. Also you can look at situations like at a gig, where you may want to be able to go and buy a bands CD at the end of the show, perhaps one of the support bands you may not have heard of before.Either way, I give it more than a few years before we see the back of physical formats alltogether. BluRay has barely begun to grow in the market yet, and considering the cost of bandwidth at current prices if everyone suddenly started to download High definition films, the cost to the use would be mad. You also get back to my point of users wanting to have something tangeable for their cash.That said, I agree that digital downloads are without a doubt the way forward. While CDs aren't dead yet, theyre defo writing their wills.As for the MacBook Air, you get what you pay for really. The base model is faster than Sony's current leading sub-notebook as well as being cheaper and thinner. I disagree that it only appeals to people who travel a lot though. Like the MacBook, I think it appeals to a wide range of people purely due to the amazing design. Agreed, the price tag is hefty, but when you compare it to competitors its a fairly good deal. Of course it has more going for it than just design, but it's clearly a major factor as seen by Apple's marketing emphasis on 'Thinness'. Defo aiming at people in Socio-Economic Groups A and B though, with a high disposable income. That has always been the way though, Apple produces high end premium priced desireable products, it's what they do, and if the started tapping into the cheaper lower/working class market, it would have a detrimental affect on their reputation.Just a few of my thoughts anyhoo. :DI'm at work on my iPhone so apologies for this being a bit brief and sketchy, will expand when I return homeward!

Mac is too one step ahead.. its way too remove CD completely - or DVD for that matter. How many people download DVDs to watch on the move? Hardly anyone.. I'm not gonna rip it, and if I did.. I could get in trouble for copyright.I dont think CD will ever go, as alex said.. and the fact I prefer to have bought something physical rather than something which I may accidently delete then have wasted all my money (and as for DR-f**king-M.. dont get me started on that).Blu-ray instead of CD? Nar.

Blu Ray is shaping up to be the winner of the format wars with most studios now behind it and going exclusive with it. And with Apple doing movie rentals with EVERY studio its going to be a big hit, I'm sure. How often do you watch the same movie? Every year for me. Apple rentals are perfect, their cheap, can watch within 30 seconds, stays on your computer for 30 days, and have 24 hours to watch it. Good deal to me. Bring it the UK plz.

Having films, music as a file on a computer is the way forward. However don't ignore the CD's, DVD's tapes etc as they are going to be around a lot longer. The problem with Blu-ray is its accessibility. At the moment its to expensive whereas DVD's have come down in price and are very afforadable. Also the jump isn't as large as the jump from video cassettes to a disk. I don't like the idea of films being just a bit of data on a computer, to me it seems rather static. I much prefer something I can look at. For instance I'm really into the classic series of Doctor who and love having all the series in an order on my shelves. If it was just data to me personally it loses its novelty.

I think flash storage needs to become cheaper and bigger before we see the end to things such as CD's/DVDs, Hard drives are not *unreliable* as such, but IMO they are far to unreliable to replace CDs just yet.As to the mac book *hot*air,It looks very nice sure.. but why spend over double the price for something you can get something on par if not better spec wise just for the sake of a few cm? I personally cant see it catching on to anyone but die hard apple fans who like to waste so much of there money.

As I have said before , there is a market for it, the Sub Note Book market. Sony and Toshiba all have sub notebooks, but there more expensive, thicker, and lower specs. Apple has brought out cheaper, thinner, and higher spec. People like business execs refresh their laptop every year, if it means its less to cary around they will get it in a heartbeat. I consider my self a 'die hard' fan, and I have no intention of getting one, because I don't need Sub Notebook, so you opinion is horrible biased, as well as a little assumptious.

thing is its not much smaller.. its thinner but apart from that not much else, it has a small hardrive.Maybe if it was smaller it could be more attractive but being abit thinner adds very little.And far from biased, if sony has a super thin laptop with small drive, no cd drive and just as expensive its just as pointless. Although theres of course the big difference that theres no sony fans thinking that its the best thing since sliced bread.

"for the sake of a few cm"Those 'few cm's' can make all the difference when you rely on a notebook. out and about you'd want the smallest, lightest one available. You wouldn't want to be lugging about a huge box/case for your notebook/laptop. Tbh, I'd rather pay that bit extra for the Apple quality build & performance. Its more powerful then most laptops currently on the market, so really. I urge to you have a look at its specs, its genius.

I dont think apple are a quality build and have good performance.. if anything, they annoy the f**k out of me *all* the time. Though thats probably because I'm too used to windows to like something like that.Windows is getting sexier, and I like its usability and performance.. also as a brand I can trust (who would trust a company with an image of a half eaten apple?!).. I'll always stick with microsoft :D