Parc Asterix

Benin

Tonnerre de Zeus is being renovated for next year, and renamed to Tonnerre 2 Zeus:

image.png

-Unique to Europe 90º bump
-2 high speed turns
-2 new 'bumps'
-14 airtime moments
-New trains (with "inverted seats" on the last car - maybe backward facing car?)
-A tunnel with special effects

Interesting scenario, but not sure I'm a fan of the new restraints...

The Gravity Group restraints (those trains look like GG ones) are really good. At least on their smaller ones... on Zeus.......

This could be interesting. I love Zeus though the last time I rode it was particularly rough. Hopefully it still maintains the fabness.

1 minute ago, Benin said:

The Gravity Group restraints (those trains look like GG ones) are really good. At least on their smaller ones... on Zeus.......

This could be interesting. I love Zeus though the last time I rode it was particularly rough. Hopefully it still maintains the fabness.

The sole Gravity Group woodie I've done (Wood Express at Parc Saint Paul) was hampered in part by the restraints, so I remain cautious over them. 

I wasn't particularly impressed with Zeus on my rides last year and I know it's certainly split opinion as it's gotten older. Hopefully this brings it back to more universal praise.

Also, for confirmation: the first bullet point suggests a 90º degree first drop.

3 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Also, for confirmation: the first bullet point suggests a 90º degree first drop.

Whoops, I lie. It is just a 90º corner turn thing. Not sure how it's unique in Europe, when I'm fairly certain it exists on other rides, but oh well...

image.png

image.png

There is also some updates about Toutatis, the Intamin multi launch.

Some concept art:

image.png

And some reminders about the statistics:

image.png

Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/ParcsActus

https://www.dimensionparcs.fr/france/parc-asterix/parc-asterix-2023-toutatis/

Zeus’s renovations are fascinating. 

I must confess touring my 2019 visit, the attraction was enjoyable and pleasant enough but was certainly missing that “wow” factor somewhere, compared to say Troy or Wodan. I haven’t done a proper GG woodie yet, but this all looks promising.

The concept art for Toutatis looks splendid and should hopefully match the greatness of other lovely additions in the park.

• 8 months later...

Corrr, it's been a while...

Asterix isn't open for the season yet, but they have been cracking on with construction of Toutatis.

Here's some images from a recent (but now deleted) video:

image.png

As a reminder, this is a multi launch Intamin coaster which will have a swing launch mid way through the ride.

The park hope to get track work finished by the summer I believe, so they can start landscaping and theming.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

An absolute crime that Parc Asterix only has five pages of discussion whereas Port Aventura has 26.

Anyway.. Toutatis is great. Top notch. I was worried about the pacing of the thing, especially as similar like Taron and Taiga are very well paced. Nothing to worry about though, this is a very fast rollercoaster with the most aggressive ejector air time I've experienced so far. Those little launch dips are just fantastic. The rest of the ride is also very pleasing and we had about 8 rides on it over two days. I didn't have a favourite seat preference. Loved the front and back equally. Definitely my favourite Intamin, traditionally, I'm a bit luke warm with their rides but they've really made a step forward since Taron.

Oz'Iris, is excellent. It's just the best B&M inverter out there right now. It combines the whippiness of Nemesis with the weird floaty air time of one of their hypers. There's so much air time on Oz'Iris or zero g feeling, it's very odd to describe because aside from Monster, no other inverter rides like this and it's absolutely joyful. It's a shame that only Banshee and Monster were built after Oz'Iris, because actually, Oz'Iris feels like a proper evolution of what B&M were doing before. Managed eight rides, should have done more. 

Pegasus Express is lovely, we had three rides and really enjoyed each one. Chessington should really be getting something like this, not a wing rider but I digress. High capacity, lovely moments, fast and snappy. Really accessible for everyone. 

Tonnerre 2 Zeus was odd. Should have really re tracked the whole thing as there's a significant difference between the old and the new. It makes it a very mixed ride. I still enjoyed, but I also felt like there's a missed opportunity here. I don't like the trains. Really chunky, giant restraints that reminded me of Maurer Sohnes X car ones.

A lot has changed at the park since I went in 2017. Every rollercoaster now has a batcher (before it was a free for all), operationally everything was on point and the staff work bloody hard to fill seats, even when the ride is walk on. Twice on Oz'Iris, they were making us run through the queue to fill two seats. Literal walk on. I don't know if we hit a quiet day as Toutatis queues were all over the place. From 90 minutes, to 20, then back to 45 and down to 15 then up again. 

Asterix has been criminally underrated for a very long time.

One of the best park line ups that has only improved in recent years, especially as they've filled up the dead spaces through various additions.

Just need that ridiculous Victorian area show to return.

• 1 month later...

Four years ago I wrote a blog on Parc Asterix being an underrated park. Today, I still go by what I said back then, because it is underrated. 

Since my last visit, the biggest change/addition has certainly been Toutatis, the multilaunch/swing coaster. Whatever you call it. It’s simply an astounding ride! Some great pacing, moments of hang, floater and ejector airtime. All complemented by some stunning theming. 

Oziris was just as blissful to ride as last time along with Pegasus and the bobsled which are pretty much faultless for what they are. Some astounding theming, support rides and shrubbery just enhance this place more. Even the food is okay too, at least with the burger place in the new area. 

Now, Tonnere2zeus. A carnation less than 2 years old. I heard many horror stories about this attraction, especially with some comparing it to Mine Blower (which I didn’t like at all). Having done this, I can say it isn’t great nor terrible. However it still feels like a downgrade from the original, which I didn’t really warm upto anyway. Perhaps somewhere other than row 1 would’ve made me more negative here.

It’s a lovely park and one on the higher-end of those in mainland Europe (more-so now). Throw in a proper dark ride and the lineup is practically faultless. Ferry, eurotunnel, plane, other? Get yourself to this park!