Parc Asterix

Benin

Lovely back row POV

Gives you a better perspective of how the train feels/whips around. It looks very similar to Talon/Silver Bullet with how it maneuvers the track for the most of it. But the first few elements seem to have a bit of Nemesis 'flick'.

• 4 months later...

Today I went to Asterix, I'll do a proper little report when I get home but in summery - a couple of amazing rides and a couple of horrors in a park that mostly looks nice and could easily be good but is run so ineptly that it is a truly hellish place to be. In fact, to say that it is actually 'run' in any meaningful sense of the word would be overstating the effort they put in, they seem to simply open the gates and hope for the best.

It is saying something that I have no desire to go back to the place ever again even though it has two of the very best rides I have ever been on.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Looks like I'm restarting this topic again lol...

I went yesterday, Asterix is really under-rated I've thought, Oz'Iris is one of Europe's best coasters, Ton of Air is still fab, and the park looks lovely as always...

This year they've added a few shows to their line up as well, which were rather good I thought... The Romans vs Gauls TV show thing was utterly amazing though, like, my favourite theme park show levels of amazing... The sheer amount of work they put into it (including 'live feeds', fake adverts, staging and costuming the host) and I pretty much didn't stop laughing throughout... Granted of course there is still the language barrier in some respects, but it was just so damn entertaining...

There's still no news on the 2017 coaster, however next year the park are getting two new attractions, a Disko Coaster to sit by Zeus, and a TopSpin variant to go by Oz'Iris (somewhere, it's not exactly clear where it's going to go, nor were they advertising it on park)... Concept art below:

visuel%2B2%2Bbis.jpg

visuel%2B1%2Bbis.jpg

Hopefully when the coaster is being built this topic can have a resurgence...

After saying I'd never go again after my last day of horrificness there... I might be going again next week if I find myself driving passed in the way to Europa. Or I might be flying to a beach somewhere instead.

The rides are so damn good, I'd love to experience it on a day when they do cope with guest numbers so I can try to enjoy it.

• 7 months later...

So, I found out I'll be visiting in August with the family.

A couple questions for you vets:

• We're going right at the start of September, like literally the Sunday before term time here (The first weekend of term in France). WILL IT BE VERY BUSY?
  • Is there any rides we should get done first/last to avoid queues, because I've heard operations are pretty crap..
  • Is fastpass worth the buy?
  • Wheres good places to eat?
  • My older brother and mum aren't much of ride people.. Are there many attractions for them?
  • I need to find a really cheap hotel nearby to stay in the night before. Have any of you guys got any experience?

• 2 months later...

pegase_express_ext.jpg

Nice hi res concept art finally

pegase_express_map.jpg

Good length ride as well. SO as we know, it's a gerst family launch backward forward thing like Firechaser. 

03.jpg

Trains look like this.

02.jpg

Backwards launch room?

01.jpg

And station. And I have no doubt with how well themed Discobelix and Oziris are that this will follow suit and add something to this area of the park.

http://www.androland.com/Asterix/News/pegase-express-concept-art.html

This looks so good. Firechaser looked to me to be one of the best new coasters of the last couple of years, was hoping to have one here soon. 

This will certainly be enough to get me back to what was an absolute hell hole of a place last that I swore I'd never return to last time I went.

On 4/26/2016 at 11:24 PM, wegloo said:

So, I found out I'll be visiting in August with the family.

A couple questions for you vets:

• We're going right at the start of September, like literally the Sunday before term time here (The first weekend of term in France). WILL IT BE VERY BUSY?
  • Is there any rides we should get done first/last to avoid queues, because I've heard operations are pretty crap..
  • Is fastpass worth the buy?
  • Wheres good places to eat?
  • My older brother and mum aren't much of ride people.. Are there many attractions for them?
  • I need to find a really cheap hotel nearby to stay in the night before. Have any of you guys got any experience?

Missed this last time. It's a few years ago but from what I hear most of what is in this old trip report is still pretty valid. In short; if it's busy it will be awful. If that is the case get there early and get Oz'Iris in early. I understand how busy it will be (or more how the park can cope with the numbers turning up) is very much influenced by the weather once the park drops down to weekend opening towards the end of the season as they plan for these to be 'off peak' and staff numbers are low; pray for a dull day!

There's a good few shows and non-trill rides.

As much as I abhor paid queue jumping I think it would be a worthwhile purchase if you get there and it is busy.

I think there's a cheap F1 place quite nearby, but there are no hotels on the door step and the park is accessible only from the main road A1 with its own exit. The place I stayed was pleasant and not a long drive.

Good luck, you might need it!

• 6 months later...

Didn't realise it has been this long since we had an update on what is arguably Europe's second most exciting coaster addition for 2017...

A reminder of the concept art for Pégase Express (since the link above is dead):

868569pegaseexpressmap.jpg

pegase_express_ext.jpg

13754451_1444010788958795_91588494644670

Apparently June-time is the aimed for opening for this, and here's a little construction update from Parc Asterix Fans' Facebook...

16684125_1536184593075938_65939762378940

I look forward to seeing the finished product on this, Asterix was missing a quality middle ground coaster after all, and Firechaser Express gets lots of positive reviews...

Can't quite tell how they're gonna do the switch back towards the end of the ride though, cos Firechaser doesn't do that... Hopefully it's not a dull switchtrack section...

Certainly looking like it's going to be a decent medium thrill family coaster for the park. Liking the colour scheme so far and should the theming resemble any of the above impressions, this is going to a superb addition to the park.

Slightly surprised Gerstlauer haven't sold many more of these models so far, given the success of Fire Chaser and it would be ideal for many parks like Drayton Manor.

• 2 weeks later...