Parc Asterix

Benin

It's almost criminal how little attention this coaster has received on here...

Here's a video of some testing from the park's Facebook page:

Though it's not exactly saying much given how little is going on this year, I still stand by my earlier sentiment that this is the second-best looking new coaster for 2017 in Europe (only behind the Star Trek Mack at Movie Park Germany)...

The building for the track changeover (or whatever we wanna term it) annoys me because it looks like it's floating in mid-air, which considering Asterix's usual high quality surprises me...

Looks like it's got some good speed to it from those videos, should be great fun...

• 1 month later...

Pégase Express has soft opened ahead of it's grand opening on June 11th (or rather June 11st)...

2Sls1jF.jpg

Photos of stuff...

jYGIamv.jpg

90aSryF.jpg

FSWczxe.jpg

And something which no doubt make English speakers smirk...

974f8HA.jpg

A POV if that's your thing has surfaced too...

Haven't watched it, but from what I gather, all the effects definitely aren't working yet, so the sign above does hold true.  

Yeah the Medusa temple thing isn't on at all yet, hopefully it ends up being as fab as I'm hoping...

The ride itself is longer than I expected, just wish the temple wasn't floating in the air and the storage was themed... Two minor flaws in the long run of it...

• 1 month later...

That temple better have that rockwork continued up to it.. It's so close to looking cool but it looks hideous on a set of scaffolding. As well as that, the medusa effect still looks quite poor, and the room itself looks rather bare for now, and, the train housing just looks a bit.. suckish? I hope improvements continued to be made to this ride because it looks like great fun, but it's missing finishing touches in a fair few places

• 2 weeks later...

SPOILERS! 

Rode this a couple of weeks ago, a really fun and interesting family coaster, not all that intense, but fun and quite long (combination of lift hills and launches) the 'whats in the shed' effect is nice but not brilliant, the backwards section is probably the most intense! Nice landscaping but feels a little unfinished (the she in question has bare and exposed supports which spoil the illusion - a very merlin-eque mistake...... hopefully they will add rock work in the future! 

But overall a positive addition to the park! 

osiris Is also Fab!.... on a par with black Mamba! another highlight was the Menhir express log flume.... my 2nd fav log flume in Europe after chiapas! 

Their Madhouse (which has about 4 pre-shows) is FAAAAB too. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

What's better than a coaster with one launch? A coaster with two launches.

And what's better than a coaster with two launches? A coaster with four launches.

And what's worse than a coaster with four launches but still bloody good? A coaster with one proper launch and one of those weird triple semi-shuttle launch things (but it's fine because this thing looks bloody awesome)...

DsD1T0IXQAA5nsV.jpg

Intamin bringing their A+ game with this. And with it being Parc Asterix, expect some tasty theming too. Only bad news is this is still 2 and a half years a way from opening...

A helpful French goon has done a quick sketch of the location for the new cred:

sans_n10.jpg

sans_n11.jpg

http://www.disneycentralplaza.com/t53982p475-france-parc-asterix-paris-1989#3442290

The second image denotes a playground, eatery and a potential other new attraction, rumoured to be for 2023 (rather than opening with the coaster)...

The pathway to the coaster actually already exists as staff access... Apparently a waterfall (cascades) will be added either to or from the existing pond/lake (the Grand Splatch one)...

Finally, apparently they want a new hotel (never stayed in the one they have atm, looks nice though), and here's some concept art to drool over:

46441645_566496777125413_790857562863330

46397995_566496823792075_164697475805662

46277342_566496753792082_904508826222539

EDIT - Further reading seems that they're getting a new 4D cinema next season (no idea where, presumably in the Victorian indoor section is my guess) and seemingly the utterly fantastic stunt show has finished for good... Which upsets me greatly because it was one of the best shows I've seen at a park, especially the finale ❤️ Hopefully it'll be replaced adequately...

Was dreading coming in this thread after reading elsewhere people coming out with outlandish comments concerning the new coaster, but TPM you've done me proud.

So I'll begin with it looks absolutely amazing and I'll sell my body parts to be standing in the queue (as it's probably broken down) on opening weekend.

But I have a question, not a complaint.

Why have they gone for putting a triple launch switch track section mid course? Is it just to be able to claim all those silly records, I really hope not...

I know NOTHING about Parc Asterix, other than 1 visit I enjoyed but it appears to me that they have the space and ability to have run this as a full course layout but haven't.

I'll echo Benin and say my first thought other than "holy s**t that looks insane" was, "oh no, why have they put that bit in the middle..." If the coaster started with the triple (if they MUST have it), then it would have flowed sooooo much nicer, just imagine hitting a Taron style running launch with that layout...

Either way, not moaning, just spewing words, I'll see you on opening day.

• 5 months later...

I have heard that Transdemonium may have closed. 

This was a strange and mysterious dark ride, it didn’t really have a soundtrack but the jingles and chimes throughout really intrigue me! I rode it quite a while back in 1999 so don’t remember much, but I would have loved to have ridden it again next week when @Loggers Creek and I are finally visiting.

A real shame if it is true! I hope to find out whether it has closed temporarily or permanently too... 

• 2 weeks later...

Right so @terrortomb and I had a little trip over to Parc Asterix.

Oziris is a class coaster and probably my favourite B&M invert now

Pegasus is fun, like really fun!

Tonnere is good, it’s not my favourite Wooden coaster but is a decent well rounded ride.

Park is pretty decent with some lavish styling and theming, atmosphere and ride selection. It’s not completely perfect but still an excellent and underrated  park. I don’t like Goudrix. 

Might write a trip report if I have time and can be bothered. 

P.S Transdemonium is closed, although the area appears to be intact. Tomb spoke to several staff members and they believe it is undergoing a renovation and will reopen next year. 

Take this with a pinch of salt. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been to the park during halloween season? I'm planning on going this year on the way to DLP, and it does seem like they have a few scare attractions according to the website, as well as late night opening on certain nights, but I'm not 100% sure what they are like - so would be keen to hear any thoughts on whether they are worth doing or not.

If nobody here has been at that time of year, I'll report back how I get on :) 

• 1 month later...

Sorry another double post...

This year will be the 10th anniversary of 'Peur sur le parc' so they have a new 'haunted house', aka maze in the UK, coming. 

From what I can gather using google translate, their mazes are:

• The catacombs, new for 2019. I think this seems quite a unique idea so I look forward to seeing what they've done with it.
  • The Anubis Wrath, an ancient egyptian themed maze, again quite different.
  • The House of Fear, looks more standard as a haunted house, looks like a man with a chainsaw and the usual monsters in there.
  • Mission Lost, some sort of 3D alien maze, not sure how this will work out

Look forward to giving them a try next month!

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2019 at 11:51 AM, JoshC. said:

However, there's some reports the ride will now open in 2022 rather than 2021, due to some issues with some trees that have to be removed for the ride. Be a shame to have to wait another year for this awesome looking ride..

So this is pretty much a certainty now.

However, current rumours are that Tonnerre de Zeus (park's woodie) is going to be renovated for 2021. Some people have of course jumped to the conclusion of RMC, which I guess is a faint possibility at the moment, but there's nothing to suggest that either way.

Asterix are owned by the same company as Walibi, and were very impressed by Untamed, so I guess it's only natural that those sorts of rumours will come about. But RMC conversions can be quite expensive. Untamed's conversion cost €12.5m for reference. Would they really invest that much in a renovation of a ride (which is already pretty well received), and then introduce a major new headline attraction the year after? Unlikely.

• 6 months later...

Bad news: Parc Asterix's new Intamin multi launch coaster has now been further delayed to 2023:

https://www.lobservateurdebeauvais.fr/2020/06/10/oise-des-nouvelles-montagnes-russes-vertigineuses-au-parc-asterix-en-2023/

As previously mentioned, the ride was delayed from 2021 to 2022 due to issues with tree removals and permits and the like. This new delay is due to financial implications of coronavirus.

The park is owned by Compagnie des Alpes, who also own the Walibi parks and Bellewaerde in Belgium. Bellewaerde are of course opening their new coaster this year, and Walibi Belgium are still getting their Intamin Mega coaster for 2021. Belgium certainly has a higher level of competition at the moment, so it makes sense to press on with investments there over Asterix.

Nonetheless, still a massive shame.

A shame, but I expect to see more of this. Although I can't think of any similar scale planned developments not already under construction off the top of my head? The ones we don't know about yet though, the same decision will be being made in board rooms the world over I imagine.

• 5 months later...