Should I Get An Annual Pass?

Doc

Question

Hi guys/girls.

I have actually been thinking about getting a Thorpe Park annual pass for some time now but am really not sure weather it would be worth it. I have been researching all the various annual passes to find the prices and the best benefits, unfortunately most sources seem to say different things.

So my question to you guys is, do you think it is worth getting an average Thorpe Park pass for the new year?

I visit approximately three times a year though I could try and make it more if I were to have a pass.

I live about an hour away so getting their is not easy.

It could be difficult for me to find people to go with.

Am unaware of the actual price for one as many sources say different things ranging from £60-£80

I am also unsure of the benefits. I know you get 20% certain products and food within the park, and the obvious annual pass holders day, but I was curious to know whether there are any other benefits, such as entering the park one hour early etc.

Any help or advice would be great. I just want to see if getting one would be worth my money for someone who only goes two or three times a year and does not live nearby.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you.

10 answers to this question

The Thorpe Park Annual Pass currently stand at £85 (though could go up in the new year) - source: http://www.thorpepark.com/prices/annual-passes.aspx?tabnum=2

In theory after two visits, if you pay the full £43.20 (which will no doubt go up next season), the pass has paid for itself. However, if you use BOGOF, half price vouchers or book in advance, then the price goes down, as you probably know. According to the official site, if you book online, you can get tickets from £25.92, which would mean you'd realistically have to go 4 times for the Thorpe Annual Pass to be worth it. If you also ever consider buying Bounceback (which this season are £15, £18 for Fright Nights or £6 for the next day..I think), then there's plenty of ways to save money.

The benefits of having a standard Thorpe Annual Pass are that you get 20% off food, drink and shopping. There are no Early Rider Times like Alton Towers, or any other benefits. However, with the Snoozeboxes next season, it could be a case of there being ERT for 'hotel guests' and AP holders - though no one really knows about that at the moment. Another benefit would be not having to worry about when to go, booking tickets, etc.

Personally, I think you'd be better of not buying a Thorpe Park Annual Pass unless you make at least 5-6 visits next season. Having it may give extra incentive, yes, but it's no guarantee. I think it's possible to book online and then use your ticket to get a Bounceback (though you may want to just check with the park beforehand just to be sure, or someone on here may know), which would mean you'd be looking at about £41 to have had 2 visits. Do that again, it becomes £82 for 4 visits and so on. It may be a bit of a hassle and require a bit more forward thinking than with an Annual Pass, though.

If you're planning on possibly getting an Annual Pass in the new year and can afford one in January, it might actually be worth getting a Standard Merlin Annual Pass, surprisingly. At around that time of year, they're big on doing special offers for the Annual Passes as it's just after Christmas - the past couple of years in January time, you've been able to buy a Merlin Annual Pass for half price, so around £78! That would give you much greater freedom and choice for less money, so it would be worth keeping an eye out for those offers (like the Merlin Annual Pass page on Facebook if you have; best place to keep track of the special offers). Of course, they may not do such a thing this year, or may do it at a different time, but it never hurts to keep an eye out.

Hope that helps! :)

First off, thank you greatly for the information and advice. I think I have a much better idea on what to expect from a standard Thorpe pass now. I am pretty disappointed about no ERT for Thorpe though as around June this year me and my two friends (one who is a passholder) managed to get into the park around 9.00am which was pretty neat.

Usually when I go to Thorpe, I end up using the Half price vouchers with a friend to get in so in that respect, I suppose I would have to go four or five times a year for a pass to be worth it. I recon I would be better of using bounceback to be honest.

Thanks again for all the advice. I think I will forget the standard Thorpe pass for now but will certainly consider a Merlin Annual Pass if they are at a discount around the new year.

Ok my advice, get an annual pass, they are like £150 pounds but the price of the theme parks of merlin these days are extremely high! If you are planning to visit the attractions 4-5+ then yes get one, if not then don't bother or you will end out losing money! Hope this helps! I will be getting an annual pass next year because thorpe parks entry has gone up to £45! It's so expensive!

First off, thank you greatly for the information and advice. I think I have a much better idea on what to expect from a standard Thorpe pass now. I am pretty disappointed about no ERT for Thorpe though as around June this year me and my two friends (one who is a passholder) managed to get into the park around 9.00am which was pretty neat.

Usually when I go to Thorpe, I end up using the Half price vouchers with a friend to get in so in that respect, I suppose I would have to go four or five times a year for a pass to be worth it. I recon I would be better of using bounceback to be honest.

Thanks again for all the advice. I think I will forget the standard Thorpe pass for now but will certainly consider a Merlin Annual Pass if they are at a discount around the new year.

Thorpe park are bringing a temporary hotel, the crash pad next year- http://www.thorpepark.com/crashpad/?launch=1

This could mean ERT but I hope it's for annual pass holders too- I will be getting an annual pass probably!

Hi guys/girls.

So my question to you guys is, do you think it is worth getting an average Thorpe Park pass for the new year?

I visit approximately three times a year though I could try and make it more if I were to have a pass.

The Thorpe Park Annual Pass currently stand at £85 (though could go up in the new year) - source: http://www.thorpepark.com/prices/annual-passes.aspx?tabnum=2

If you're planning on possibly getting an Annual Pass in the new year and can afford one in January, it might actually be worth getting a Standard Merlin Annual Pass, surprisingly. At around that time of year, they're big on doing special offers for the Annual Passes as it's just after Christmas - the past couple of years in January time, you've been able to buy a Merlin Annual Pass for half price, so around £78! That would give you much greater freedom and choice for less money, so it would be worth keeping an eye out for those offers (like the Merlin Annual Pass page on Facebook if you have; best place to keep track of the special offers). Of course, they may not do such a thing this year, or may do it at a different time, but it never hurts to keep an eye out.

Hope that helps!

Thought I'd bring this back up - especially as a few people seemed to not be aware of all this in Chat last night1

There are currently New Year sales for the Thorpe Annual Pass and the Merlin Annual Pass!

-You can get a Thorpe AP for £58 online at the moment; the offer ends January 2nd.

-You can get a Standard Merlin AP for £99. You can visit any Merlin attraction to collect this (even Thorpe - the AP office is open for a few hours each day during January for some reason), or if you have a current MAP, you can still buy one, and use it as a 'renewal' when your pass runs out in affect. This offer runs out at the end of January.

So, LG95, if you can afford one now, definitely get an Annual Pass! Depending on how you feel about visiting other attractions and how much money you've got, I'd say go for the Merlin one; it will pay for itself and gives you more flexibility. Hope this has helped. :)

To all who are thinking about taking advantage of this, make sure you've 'Liked' the MAP Facebook page - the most recent sale (ie, the one in Jan 2012), they announced via Facebook that the offer would end a week earlier than planned. They then announced, again through FB, that if you sent an email to customer services, you could still take advantage of the offer till the end of the month. So yeah, keep your eyes peeled if you don't want to miss out.

Goodness, I feel like a Merlin advert now.. :P