I, at the Season Pass, am interviewing John Wardley on Saturday

Nick Hutson

I saw that post a while ago, too. Don't worry, Nick, you do a great job on the podcast and I only really subscribed to Season Pass to listen to you, as you bring in the British side of the discussion which the Season Pass team do as well as the American/Global discussion. You do know a lot about theme parks and are clearly interested in them, and having somebody who likes them because of the theatrical aspect instead of the gimmicky 'white-knuckle thrills' aspect that the general public seem to latch on to is a nice break. And, yes, you are pretty funny!Also, the people interviewed on the show have always been quite fascinating whatever they talk about. it has opened up my mind away from the UK theme park business, too. Even if there are no special guests, it is good simply to listen to the team and their conversations. ;) The development of Thirteen was great, and it really shows how humble John Wardley is. He will not put his name on anything unless he is really urged to. A shame he did not have such a say on the actual turn out of Thirteen and the Dark Forest, otherwise we would probably have a more 'all-round good' area of Alton Towers in real life. Since, though Candy Holland proposed and created a winning theme, it does not seem to have turned out quite as expected. What it does show, is that Thirteen had a lot of effort put into it from everybody involved, which does show.I am looking forward to part two!

Many thanks for all the thanks - but the thanks go to John for taking sooo much time out of a gorgeous afternoon to talk to us! Hope you're all enjoying it! ;) I am drawn to this, that I saw on CoasterForce today: " I hate that Nick Hutson guy. He doesn't know anything, I like it when he talks about theatre but he knows naff all about parks quite frankly. "Makes me laugh!

Lol @Coasterforce.

Lol @Coasterforce.

Well done for stereotyping an entire group of people based on one idiotic person's post... ;) I listened to it earlier and thought it was very good, though the theatre part was a bit 'why?' to me as I thought it was meant to be a coaster show...Thankfully now we can not hold John responsible for any of the dodginess of the ride and place all the blame on Candi Holland... ;)

Epic stuff, gotta love it. I love all the background of people, so the theatre stuff will be interesting when I listen to it. The last one you did with John was amazing, and thanks for these. Gives me so much background and enthusiasm about what is there, and gives me inspiration for what I do. Cheers ;)

Well done for stereotyping an entire group of people based on one idiotic person's post... ;) I listened to it earlier and thought it was very good, though the theatre part was a bit 'why?' to me as I thought it was meant to be a coaster show...Thankfully now we can not hold John responsible for any of the dodginess of the ride and place all the blame on Candi Holland... ;)

Well - it's not technically a coaster show; it's an amusement industry show. Plus, John's background is in theatre, and the links between theme parks and theatre are incredibly related, because of the use of story telling, characters, set, special effects, music, sound, lighting and all the other forms of integrated story telling. Hence why, if you work at Disney, you're called Cast members, you're on stage when you're working, and you're backstage when you're not working... etc, etc. Are you referring to the Mousetrap reference when you say "theatre bit"? ;)

John Wardley Returns Part 2Last week was "Thirteen Talk", now it's: "Dark Ride Talk!" Fantastic! I surely can't be the only one without that jumpy-immature-excitment feeling, now? :angry: He talks about his work with Chessington for the 5th Dimension and Bubbleworks. He also talks about the creation and story behind Hex at Alton Towers. Just what I hoped for in my life. :)

Great listen. John Wardley really is just gold. His little anecdotes, his politeness and his enthusiasm for rides always shines through. A little fanboy thrill struck through when he said his favourite ride was the old Bubbleworks. Well done MikeyT, getting your question answered there. Just a shame Neilfevers question wasn't touched upon :angry:

A little fanboy thrill struck through when he said his favourite ride was the old Bubbleworks.

Nerdgasm...If John Wardley couldn't be more loved tbh... He's left a great legacy within the UK industry and given us some of the best rides in the world (Nemesis and Hex especially)...