Security

MiniShinny

Question

When I went to Blackpool everybody was searched as standard at Pleasure Beach. I think it should be the same here, rather than the random searches.

Agreed. And since BPB have put in the new ticket system, queueing in a different area to buy/collect tickets, there's no congestion and that's hopefully what we'd see at Thorpe Park once the gates have been open for the first hour or so.

All 3 of my mates did but I didn't although they don't look in any way intimidating :(

I didn't say that everyone who was searched looks intimidating but it's a big factor in who's chosen. They may have had big bags or they were just selected as.they walked past, it is becoming more 'random'.

I have never been searched and I don't want to get searched, it's just a waste of time for me. Okay I understand some people need to get searched but if you think about it, no one gets searched on the London Underground, so random searches at Thorpe Park at least means it's more secure than the Underground and other places, so really need to stop worrying. We live in a policed state as it is we don't need to get everyone searched wherever they go.

I have never been searched and I don't want to get searched, it's just a waste of time for me. Okay I understand some people need to get searched but if you think about it, no one gets searched on the London Underground, so random searches at Thorpe Park at least means it's more secure than the Underground and other places, so really need to stop worrying. We live in a policed state as it is we don't need to get everyone searched wherever they go.

I agree to some extent.. on the other hands seraches are necessary at Thorpe and I'd argue are needed at Alton.

I agree to some extent.. on the other hands seraches are necessary at Thorpe and I'd argue are needed at Alton.

I agree to a certain extent they are needed, but I think they are fine the way they are at the moment. A lot of people are searched as it is, why would Thorpe want to go down the root that Blackpool are taking to search everyone. I know at some of the theme parks there are searches to pretty much everyone, such as Disney, however Disney would be more of a target than Thorpe Park, so Thorpe Park do not need as much people being searched as a park of that size.

Well a few things you've made me think.Disney as more a target. true but think of Thorpe's location. It's a few short miles from one of the leading airports in Europe (in terms of air traffic and customers), the park itself is located within a stones throw of the M4 and the M25 so if a terrorist bomb was to go off at Thorpe, it wouldn't be just to destroy Thorpe but would be to cause issues to transport.Now this is rather large scale, Thorpe wouldn't be the first place I'd target if I was a terrorist. So I believe the searches are to discourage anti-social behavior. And yes they may be an inconvenience to people but I would much rather the visual deterrent of security and searches at the entrances then to have the invisible prescence at Alton where drugs, alcohol and smoking are common place in queuelines.I am happy with the random searches though.

Yes, Planes might fly over, but seriously. If a bomb went off it wouldn't be a huge explosive that would knockout a plane would it? No. There's no chance that someone's going to sneak a nuke into Thorpe Park so there's nothing for the Airports to worry about :L

That's true. It wouldn't cause too much of a problem to the surrounding area really. I think it is a potential target though, but not as much as Disney is a likely terrorist target for America.They are more likely to go for Alton Towers because it's the UK's largest and most popular theme park and would make a lot of headlines. or the London Eye because it's one of London's main icons.I think the checks are mainly to combat drug abuse at the park though. There are always so many people walking around Thorpe stoned or smoking some funny smelling cigarettes... :(

To be honest if a Bomb went off at Thorpe Park, I very much doubt Gatwick and Heathrow would panic...

A bomb being let off a few miles away from a major airport, and they'd only think "oh its not us, no need to worry then"The Eye, definitly because its the centre of London, but Alton, the middle of nowhere? really? They want to make an impact, but they also want to disrupt as much as possible. Somehow, attacking a theme park that isn't close to any airports, train lines or major motorways seems unlikely..

An airport has to go on because they wouldn't want to lose money, Airport Security is tight enough for them not to worry. Like the bomb at East Midlands Airport that was on a Cargo Plane, I'm sure other airports didn't go round panicking and just continued as usual.

Yes, but it's still a bomb. And hardly? The world is going on... If a bomb detonates, the world can't come to a halt. Especially if the bomb has nothing to do with the transportation sector. Would you expect trains to stop, and underground to halt. All because a bomb detonates at a nearby theme park? Like if there's a gas explosion at a house nearby I'm sure the Airport doesn't panic and decides to close the airport. It's ludicrous to the think that an airport would worry anymore than usual if a bomb went off at a Theme Park.

To be honest, a terrorist is most likely to attack Thorpe if they were to attack a theme park.Smallish, popular, close to London and airports. All adds up to disaster.The whole security debate is an interesting one. Pretty sure Phill brought it up when the Questions to TP section was running; has that stuff been deleted or archived? Be interesting to reread what the park said...

But thats not what I am saying at all. Read what I am saying Jord.These attacks don't just happen one at a time, September 11th, July 7th were all a series of attacks. They all a targeted thing. The Tube did stop running when bombs started going off, airports grinded to a halt when the Trade Centres were hit and were still hampered weeks and months afterwards. The world effectively changed when these things started to occur.Afterall, ever seen the way a simple fire alert at a station can effect an entire underground line?I am in no way implying that Thorpe having a bomb attack would immediately stop Heathrow and they would all run round like headless chickens. What I am saying is that they would have to sit up and take note because the bomb exploding is only a few miles away from the airport.

Due to security already at airports, I think Airports would not have to worry. Security is already tight, I doubt a bomb going off nearby would make them think they are any more of a target. They know if a bomb is going to go off they are a large target, that's why they have very good security. But as we've already said the security at Thorpe Park is good as it is, and it is far too unlikely of Thorpe Park getting a bomb to worry about it. Hence why they don't have armed police with machine guns. So why on earth does it need to be argued -.-

A heated discussion then....

An argument or 'Heated discussion' in my mind means throwing angry (sometimes personal) insults into the debate or arguing with someone for the sake of it being them, and I can't see that this has been happening.So my conclusion is that discussions like these happen nearly every day on the forum, don't take any of them personally. :(