THE SWARM: Left or Right?

Drawin

The Swarm: Left or Right?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What side are you sitting on?

Difficult to say; I was pleased at how good they both are though because I'll never be disappointed as such if instructed to go one side over the other. As far as I could tell, Left is more intense, gets wet on the splash by the fire engine and is closer to the building on the tower fly-through, whereas right gets the insanely close call with the ground by the helicopter. I found the drop to be equally good on either side as well, just in different ways.So overall, my thoughts that right would be clearly better seem to have been proven wrong :P

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it at all. I guess one of the most intense bits is the second half of the Zero G from the apex to the bottom of the pullout, so if you're on the left and at the back you're still being pulled around the rotation while the train accelerates (very rapidly!) away down to the bottom so it really ups the Gs. Must be because on the left you're being pulled up from the bottom and you're still upside down, whereas on the right at the same point you're being pulled down from the top so you're already the right way up. It's hard to explain :P

Nah, I understand! It's sort of like Nemesis Inferno when you spin out of it's own Zero-G and into that sharp right turn; the right-most seats are still rotating anti-clockwise and so they feel more of a 'snap' than the seats on the left because with them it's more a case of 'lowering' themselves onto the banked(/inclined) plain of that ground-hugging turn. The right side feels more force as they spin straight into it.

Left hand side is more intense - not as intense as nemesis though.Right hand side is amazing with the closeness of water effect and stuff.I cannot judge properly until I've done on more than 3 positions. Wow, a ride which makes you want to ride it and in every seat possible!

I think it's only less intense than Nemesis in so much as Nemesis is completely relentless due to the constantly increasing speed. Swarm has some certain moments which are just as powerful but you get short lapses between them unlike Nemesis. I think it's actually a bit unfair to compare every new ride to Nemesis on the intensity scale, it's a very unusually designed ride and thus will probably never be beaten for relentless, constantly-hammering-you increasing forces.

Having done left and right I definitely prefer the right; but thats simply down to the interaction with the helicopter lake more than anything else.In regards to other comments mentioned on page one, there is no SRQ on Swarm, and I think disabled access is only on the right hand side, but I may be incorrect. I didn't actually notice a disabled access queue, so it could be either side via the exit :P

Don't know if this has been brought up anywhere, but just to confirm, there'll be no choice of your side, especially on busy days..As for what I prefer, it is a difficult one. The left hand side has 2 stand out moments for me - going under the plane wing, and the near miss with the tower. The right side only has 1 stand out moment - the turn around with the near miss of the helicopter, though that is a much bigger piece than the left hand sides stand out moments. The first drop / inversion is pretty sweet, either side, and the rest of the ride is more or less equal in terms of ride experience, in my eyes. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for in the ride. However, I must say, I really want to try the left hand side back now, after hearing these rave reviews about being intense. On the issue of front and back, I think it is one of those rides where both front and back offer equally good experiences. The front left me feeling really exposed and gives even better interaction I'd say (plus, the first drop at the front is amazing), but the back does offer some intense moments.Basically, what I'm trying to say is, it's great wherever you sit!

• 7 months later...
  • 10 years later...

I went to Thorpe Park yesterday and rode The Swarm twice (once on left, once on right) and I definitely feel that the right side was more exhilarating as you fly over the track on the over wing drop. To me it seemed more intense and had lots of near misses . However the best part by far was swooping down near the water around the helicopter it felt like I was about to plunge into it and it really pulled quite a few G-forces.