Walibi Holland

Project 'Brain Trip', the rumoured to be abandoned 2017 thrilling dark ride attraction, is still in fact happening, with an open date of 14th April.  Assuming nothing had changed, it's still going in the old 4D cinema which is near Lost Gravity.

Marketing started today, with this 'teaser' on the park's Facebook:

16113216_1372405369467916_46576636677127

A construction picture is also on the park's Snapchat, @walisnaps.  I'll link the Looopings article, which has more details and the pictures of construction: http://www.looopings.nl/weblog/6849/Walibi-Holland-geeft-eerste-hints-over-nieuwe-attractie.html

I believe Walibi Holland's director has also mentioned it won't feature virtual reality / has expressed a dislike for VR stuff.  But with the project name and being located near Lost Gravity, it'll be interesting what the theme will be.

• 2 weeks later...

Walibi in 2016:  "Our 2017 attraction won't use VR"

Walibi in 2017:  "Our 2017 attraction will use VR"

http://www.looopings.nl/weblog/6903/Nieuwe-virtual-reality-attractie-in-Walibi-Nog-heftiger-dan-The-Clinic.html

As of yet, this new thing doesn't have a name, but it's been revealed it will be a spin off of their headline Halloween attraction last year, 'The Clinic'.  The Clinic strapped people to a stretcher and then simulated a person's death, post-mortem, funeral, cremation and afterlife and was really well received.  

A "more horrifying" version of that does sound interesting...

• 3 weeks later...

The park have announced that this new thing will be called 'NeuroGen'.

They've released a couple of videos, and it seems to be a bit Ministry of Joy / Sanctuary inspired, in that NeuroGen gives treatment that makes you better at life...

There's still no word on what this actually is, aside from the use of VR.  Construction updates on the park's Snapchat show a reasonably tall, circular-ish room having work done to it to make it look quite clinical.  My guess is that it'll just be some sort of 4D theatre variant (ie moving seats, special effects, etc), just with VR, which makes sense given the attraction is taking place in a small part of the old 4D theatre.

The park are still pushing this to be super horrifying though.  They've said that "The Clinic explores the boundaries of your emotions...The new attraction goes one step further."  Given how The Clinic was quite psychological, it'll be interesting to see if they can actually pull it off...

• 3 weeks later...

NeuroGen update, thanks to Looopingsssssssssss

160317gevel2.jpg

160317gevel1.jpg

Still no word on what this is beyond the VR, nor if this is an upcharge attraction like many people think..

Speed of Sound update:

The park posted a photo of how Speed of Sound is currently looking following its repaint:

17264516_1442461875795598_89301416000511

For reference, this is how it looked:

Speed-of-Sound-3.jpg

Can't deny that it does look good, and the blue supports are nicer than the purple.  Still an odd decision mind.

^Doesn't seem to be a bad shout...

http://www.looopings.nl/weblog/7254/Walibi-Holland-geeft-kijkje-achter-de-schermen-bij-nieuwe-attractie.html

A brief 'look at how we're shooting the VR' style video has been released.  Shows a 360 degree camera strapped to a body on a gurney.  Video also has scenes of partying and what could be a car crash scene.  So like yeah, could be: put VR glasses on, go partying, get high, get involved in a car crash then you're awake during your life saving surgery.  Or something. 

It's been revealed that because NeuroGen has such a low throughput, you can reserve a place online for a 5€.  If there's spaces on-the-day, you can experience it for free.  For some comparison, The Clinic cost 15€ outright. 

Bit of an odd system, and I assume it means it'll be a time-slotted attraction.  But if this is as scary as they say it will be, I guess it's only going to appeal to a small market, so having the lower throughput and upcharge to reflect a higher quality experience makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

A page for NeuroGen has gone live, and booking is available (if you're the super keen enthusiast who's already planned their visit and wants to guarantee entry now):  https://www.walibi.nl/nl/rides/fun-cool/neurogen

Translation of the page

LEARNING ANOTHER LANGUAGE WITH TWO FINGERS IN YOUR NOSE? IT'S POSSIBLE! MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR TREATMENT IN NEUROGEN, THE NEW DIVISION OF THE CLINIC. IN THIS VIRTUAL REALITY ATTRACTION YOU ALONE UNDERGO A TREATMENT WHERE YOUR BRAIN CAPACITY IS IMPROVED.

FREE ATTRACTION -  NEUROGEN IS A FREE ATTRACTION WITH LIMITED AVAILABILITY. WANT TO BE SURE OF A TREATMENT? THEN FOR € 5, - AN ONLINE RESERVATION

The attraction has a 16 age restriction, and warns that it'll contain bad language, sex and drug use.

Time slots for online reservations are in 15 minute intervals, and Loopings is reporting that the expected throughput at the moment is about 60pph.  They have also said that the VR film is roughly about 5 minutes.  

And for anyone interested, a photo from inside the attraction:

110417blauw.jpg

I seem to be the only one the forum actually interested / excited for this, but NeuroGen is having it's media night tonight.  Couple of images from themepark.nl Facebook, which might be classed a bit spoilery by some...

17903844_1486664968034558_56719716283981

Entrance

17951807_1486744074693314_88249596665637

'Waiting room', which I assume serves as some kind of batch point

Also, a video from the park of the opening ceremony...

Skip to a couple of minutes in for a nice 'live video stream' between the park manager and the 'designer' of NeuroGen.  And go to 3 minutes in for a nice little show...

• 4 weeks later...

Been there, done that.

I don't want to spoil the fun for those who will attempt to this attraction, but here my experience and opinion (slight SPOILER ALERT):

I didn't book a time slot ticket. As I showed up in the afternoon (it was raining all day and NeuroGen is one of the few indoor attractions in the park), there was surprisingly no one queuing. The ticket office was already closed. I was lucky te be allowed to enter the attraction without a ticket. It seemed like most of the visitors in the park that day were families with younger children.

My oldest son went in just before me but soon he returned through the entrance door.

Inside he was asked for his age and he honelstly answered '14', which is too young.

I didn't had to wait in the 'waiting room' as I was the only 'patient' around. In a kind of operation room a doctor/actor put VR glasses on your head to approve your brain capacity.

The film you see is supposed to show your youth.

In one of the scenes you attempt as a young 20er a disco party and take a pill (I guess that's why my son was acces denied). 

This experience wasn't scary at all. I had much more fear (and fun) visiting haunted houses with live acting in among others Liseberg, Movieland Park Italy and during the Halloween events in Bobbejaanland and Walibi Belgium.

I pitty the actors in NeuroGen as I imagine most of their 'patients' won't be that enthusiastic after the treatment.

• 5 months later...
On 09/02/2016 at 7:17 PM, BaronC. said:

If you're the super-organised enthusiast, you might want to circle early 2019 for a new unique coaster...

http://www.looopings.nl/weblog/4980/Walibi-Holland-opent-weer-grote-nieuwe-achtbaan-in-2019.html

Yep, Walibi Holland have said they're planning to open a new coaster for the 2019 season which "you cannot find in another park".  Along with that, they're opening a new thrill ride next year, and doing some refurbs to rides over the next couple of years.  

And despite all this information, we still don't know what Lost Gravity *actually* is!

Rumour has it now this could be an S&S free spin coaster, following an S&S spokesperson confirming to Looopings that they've been in talks with Walibi Holland.  It'd be the first in Europe. 

Not going to lie, would be a bit of a shame if this is what they got.  There's potential for much more at the park in my opinion, and given the amount they're pumping into Belgium, this is a bit of downer.

There is a possibility this could be pushed back to 2020.  I imagine they're keeping one eye on Efteling as they're getting a huge in 2019 or 2020 too, so they might not want to compete (or they might do, who knows with Walibi...)

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against these things, they look fun and I do want to try one and it'd be nice to see one closer to home.  But another bog standard off-the-shelf model is not what the park should be getting, nor what they're capable of doing now...

• 1 month later...

So Walibi Holland is still in it's phase of trying to make brash, in your face, marketing work..

This year, they went through a bit of a rebrand, getting rid of their 'f#!k slow, #HardGaan' (go fast) slogan for a more friendly 'Dare to get real'.  But according to the park, that hasn't worked and they had a bad year this year.  So they're currently looking at the following new slogans for the park...

1) No chill!

2) The thickest kicks

3) Scream it out

4) Walibi, holy s#!*

5) Waaaaaaalibi!

All pretty brash and underlying tones there.  

Makes me glad Thorpe at least realised the fat head thing was a dead end...