Few questions about the park

CarriedOut

Question

Hello everyone, 

First of all, excuse me about my English, I am a french coasterfan :) 

I hope I'm writing this message in the right section. I apologize if I'm wrong.

I've visited Thorpe Park 4 years ago and I'll be back there with a friend in early july ( two days from the 12th I think ). We have already booked our tickets, the night in the Shark Hotel and the eurostar.

The reason I write here is that I've some questions :)

1) We arrive in London the first day at 8 AM. Is it possible to get there by train ? I've heard that the best plan was to take a train from warteloo Station to staines and then go to the park by bus, is it he best way to get there so?

2) How busy will be these days in July ? I know there's a risk of high waiting time but I'll buy fastrack if needed. 

3) In the confirmation mail, the hotel tells about "Mix of chilled evening entertainment", what are they talking about ? What kind of entertainment will it be? 

4) How does their early ride access work ? 

5) Are some rides openned later after the park close for the hotel guests ? 

Thank you for your answers and sorry again for my English :) 

24 answers to this question

1) Yes. There are bus services from Staines station that go to Thorpe, so you should be fine with that. Otherwise the park is about an hour's walk away (so I hear). :)

2) The park is often pretty busy during the summer on days the weather is good, so expect long queues in places if that's the case...especially for water rides.

3) I remember when the Shark hotel was The Crash Pad in 2013, things like stand up comedy was available, so I expect this is one of them. Fin's Bar and Grill (what was Bar 360) and the Coffee Shack will also be open.

4) Like Alton Towers and Chessington, hotel guests are allowed in the park a whole hour before the park opens to everyone else. :)

5) I think the rides shut for both hotel guests and the rest of the public at their designated closing times, hence why evening entertainment is provided within the Dome.

Hope these help. :)

That's exactly why my friend and I decided to take 2 days in the park so that we can benefit to the Early ride time and stay in the park till the closing. However I think I will have to think seriously about a fastrack. It's not everyday that we visit Thorpe Park :) ( as far as I'm concerned :D

Another question : I've heard that the park could give a 1 hour unlimited fastrack to the Hotel Guests during the first opening hour. Is it still true in 2015 and will we still have early ride access one hour before the park opening ? :)

Edit : You seem to know thorpe much more than me ! :) Do you have good visits tips for this period ? :)

The evening activities is just a bunch of lounge games, like air hockey, pool, table tennis, and sometimes some music stuff. 

I have no clue about the situation with RNR, (reserve and ride, like Disney land paris' fast pass but digitally) but if thats running you shouldnt need to worry too much about fastpass.

As a hotel guest you'll get a little bit of early ride time, when you can go on selected rides with annual pass holders and other hotel guests.

The easiest thing to do from St. Pancras is get the 59 bus to Waterloo, or the victoria line to vauxhall. Vauxhall trains also go to staines, but to do the bus you will need a pre paid travel card or contactless card, or oyster. They no longer accept cash in hand on the bus.

I suggest, as you come out of St. Pancras, to drop down to the underground and buy a ticket there, and you'll be on your way in no time!

For any travel problems/alternations, this little web page is your absolute best friend: 

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

I went on a school trips day last year and it's okay. We did Inferno 7 times and Stealth 3 times by 10 (could have done more if we had thought about doing the other rides) then it started getting busier so we hit up some of the flats and X. Bit more busy, quieter rides and water rides (very weather dependant though the queues for them). Had lunch early (or get a takeaway and eat in a queue) then wondered the park doing rides as and when we wanted. By 4 most queues were under 30 minutes which was good. If they still do the free fastrack for an hour you'll get that for 9:30-10:30 with early access being from 9:15.

Thank you for your answers ! :)

If I understand well, the best way from St Pancras is taking the bus or the tube. I hope I wouldn't get problems with the transports. I arrive at St Pancras at 8 AM. If I don't get lost, It would be possible to arrive at Thorpe's Openning, isn't it ?
And about the train tickets, is it better to buy them in advance with buy internet ?  

How does the reserve'nride work ? I've looked on their website but I don't understand which device I have to use ? Do I have to buy some special tickets or something ? 

Last time I went to thorpe, that was in the very end of june ( 26th ). I'm an engineer student, I don't really fear school trips. Moreover, I will spend two days in the park, I will be peaceful I think. :D

I hope I will have two good days :) I'm very excited about this trip :D

Reserve and ride they are still trialling by the looks of it, so you may be (un)lucky enough to have it trialling on the dates that you're there, although that won't be announced til closer to the time; reserve n ride is used on your mobile phone. But in which case it is most likely the normal paper fast track will still be in use.

I don't recommend you buy your tickets online. I have always found it confusing picking them up, and whilst it may be a little cheaper, going to the machine is so much reassuring and even more simple. 

The tube service on the victoria line I believe, is a train every 1-4 minutes. It will be peak hours for work commuters though, so it will almost definitely be busy.

From my calculations you should be able to get to the park at about 10:30, just after it opens.

It's good to know about the train tickets, thank you :) Is it really a problem if the tube is busy, it's only 7-8 stops with two trains to take from St Pancras to Waterloo isn't it ?

That was what I've calculed too :) I hope I will not have problems to find the right bus stop and the right train platform. :D

The first day is a monday ( and so I also stay in the park on Tuesday ). Which day will be the busiest ? 

Thank you for your answers and sorry again for my English :)

Your English is significantly better than many of the native speakers here!

Looks like your questions have mostly been answered. In relation to the evening entertainment it's unlikely to be anything to get particularly excited about, so don't go with too high expectations!

Hello again :)

I've a little question for those who have taken Thorpe Park bus (from staines station) once. How does it work ? Can I buy a ticket directly inside the bus or do I have to buy it somewhere else ?

Another question, I've heard about the collision that occured on Smiler at Alton Towers 2 weeks ago. I totally understand that Merlin want to add another layer of safety on this type of coaster. Even in the french coasterfan community, we talk a lot about this accident.
As a result, saw is currently closed. Do you have any idea if it will reopen next month ?

( once again, sorry about my english ) 

Outside Staines train station is the bus station. The Thorpe buses are very easy to notice! You buy the tickets when boarding the bus. It is not very expensive but if you and a few others are going then I say take a taxi (they're dotted around where the buses are too!) I believe it's about £10 one way so £20 return. If there are a few of you it could work out cheaper than the bus. :)