Fright Nights 2015

spoon

To be fair, if I hadn't already known the storyline for S13 upon entering the maze I don't think I would have understood it much.  Apart from the pre-show, the only things explaining what each section was were signs that could easily be missed.

The theming was great in places, but other places were just black walls and the maze lacked actual scares and atmosphere IMO.

I'm guessing the maze set up depended on the actor, but on my go, the story was set up as "You're visiting Studio 13, where you get to go on set of our latest film, The Motel."  They'd then point out the posters plastered on the wall saying how they were other films made by the Studio.  I don't think that there was any more story to it than that was there?  

The theming made sense - you first go through the studio / backstage areas, where there were editing and make up rooms, and naturally some plain corridors, before you went onto the set of The Motel, which featured motel things. You'd then leave the set into the exit corridor (again, just "film posters", so presumably a backstage studio area) before the fictional "film" bled into reality and it turns out the characters in the film are actually trying to kill you.

Maybe I just put too much thought into it, but everything just worked for me whilst I was in the maze.

It's looking good! Why 8pm before Big Top?

My guess is that the park are combining AP night with media night again, and 6-8pm is exclusively for media people.

I'm glad that Merlin are finally getting outside companies to do their stuff now. Yes it comes at a cost, but the quality is so much better.

My understanding was that a lot of the older thorpe mazes were bought rather than being designed/made in house. I think TOTT was originally designed by an external company as well (Didnt season pass recently have an interview with the guy who designed both TOTT and some of the older Thorpe mazes who is now doing some ghost busters thing in Mexico. Just found it -> http://seasonpasspodcast.libsyn.com/nicks-ert-26-creating-scoring-and-branding-ghostbusters-los-cazafantasmas-la-aventura-lser-with-lynton-v-harris)

Oddly, though, Towers mazes are now mostly done in house and they tend to be, in my oppinion) of higher theming quality than most of Thorpes mazes.

That entrance centre piece for the Big Top maze looks stunning, potentially the best themed element for Halloween we've seen yet at Thorpe.

Shame the big Top won't open until 8 on the preview night [which will get massive queues], however there must be a good reason behind that I.E media events or something. 

Thorpe now following a load of Youtubers (including several MUAs) on Twitter. I'm expecting they probably want to get a load involved with FN like they (attempted) to last year. I wanna see some maze inspired SFX makeup looks from people like they did last year, those videos seemed to do quite well!

(Most of the youtubers are ...not the best though)

Containment sounds fun.  For £10, a 10 minute escape experience isn't too bad.  It suits a theme park environment, where you don't want it to be too long so that you can't do other things / you get enough people experiencing it, but you still want it to be a suitable length.  I guess it's possible that it will be longer too (it's split across 2-3 shipping containers I believe, so you could feasibly have 2 groups in there if the timings are right).  Will definitely be giving it a go for £8.

Also, for those interested, I've heard there's going to be a slight change to Face it Alone this year, whereby you don't get to choose your maze, but instead your maze maze is chosen for your on the night in a carnival-like game.  Quite a cool idea, and should help spread the numbers more evenly across the mazes.

I won't be trying Containment until I've read some reviews and heard positive ones, I just remember paying £4 to put a bag on my head when all the other mazes were much better (IMO) back in 2012.  :lol:

I do think it's wrong to have upcharge attractions at such an event, but queues would probably be awful if it was free due to low throughput.

I do think it's wrong to have upcharge attractions at such an event, but queues would probably be awful if it was free due to low throughput.

You see, I can totally understand this point of view - and given how badly the ticketing process was handled with The Passing, I think in hindsight that could have easily be a free attraction - I'm all for this.  

Escape attractions are becoming all the craze, and it's great to see Thorpe and Alton joining in and keeping up with the industry.  There's no way this could not be a ticketed attraction for logistical reasons, and having a charge for it is pretty fair in my eyes.  It'll be interesting to see whether it's worth it or not.

For a bit of perspective though, Towers are charging around £8 for one of their mazes.  So, in theory, this is decent value for what is a more unique experience. :)

Also, for those interested, I've heard there's going to be a slight change to Face it Alone this year, whereby you don't get to choose your maze, but instead your maze maze is chosen for your on the night in a carnival-like game.  Quite a cool idea, and should help spread the numbers more evenly across the mazes.

That honestly sounds terrifying! I did Cabin last year however I think the whole experience would be twice as threatening if you didn't have the comfort of choosing. Also, just the words "carnival game" give me shivers!

I have a photo of this but I'm like an old woman with the internet and I don't know how to add it... Yeah xD if someone could let me know that'd be fab :')

Anyway, the MBV information board is up and it states that guests must keep their hands on the shoulders of the person in front of them at all times throughout the maze... Now correct me if I'm wrong but this wasn't a rule before?

Not really liking the idea at all if I'm honest, I'm hoping it's some kind of misprint (fingers crossed)

I have a photo of this but I'm like an old woman with the internet and I don't know how to add it... Yeah xD if someone could let me know that'd be fab :')

Anyway, the MBV information board is up and it states that guests must keep their hands on the shoulders of the person in front of them at all times throughout the maze... Now correct me if I'm wrong but this wasn't a rule before?

Not really liking the idea at all if I'm honest, I'm hoping it's some kind of misprint (fingers crossed)

OK, go to imgur.com, click upload image, find the image on your phone/PC, press upload, then copy the link in the URL bar. Paste that in a post here.

I remember in MBV I was quite thankful that my hands were on my friend's shoulders, as otherwise I would have freaked out inside the inflatable walls part! Felt like I was being dragged into my grandma's back rolls it wasn't cute.

Hahaha oh wow :') I didn't even realise you were meant to go through them for the longest time- I used to crawl underneath :') !!